1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Popovich Sees Leonard As Future Face Of Spurs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Ming The King, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

fixed.

2. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Except he is already as good as peak Battier and Stephen Jackson in his rookie year. Never mind though I forgot all the rookies have insane upside and will be future Hall of Famers. :rolleyes:
    None of the rookies have played a single nba game. Chances are they become solid starters not stars.

3. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Are you serious? Even just stat wise, Battier dominated Leonard in their rookie seasons. Basically doubled his scoring output.

Even more ridiculous is your comparison to captain Jack, who was a 20/5/4 player for multiple seasons. Dude used to be an offensive juggernaught.

4. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

20 points on horrendous efficiency. 5 Rebounds is also not good for a forward and he had seasons with less than 3 rebounds....

5. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

The most Battier ever averaged was 14 points in his rookie season.... Come on now. Career average of 9 points.

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

ironically the guy we took in the 2nd round is probably a better sf with more upside than both of them

7. moetherolla

moetherolla Member

there is nothing nice about Parson's face. After one year, these two are definitely comparable which says alot being that Parson's was taken in the second round. Nice comparison to watch and we could have had both instead of Morris.

8. spysta

spysta Member

I dont even see what the debate is about

Leonard fills a role in the nba that few can fill, he is a great perimeter defender who plays smart basketball, his corner 3 ball is very consistent and he is athletic plus he is a good enough ball handler. His game has no real holes for the role he plays, the last person who came close to this skill set was ron artest and his shot was wildly inconsistent and he was a head case but still made the all star team in 04, so to say that leonard doesn't have a chance to be a star doesn't make sense.

To be honest the stephen jackson comparison make sense, jackson probably would have made 1 or 2 allstar teams if it wasn't for his incredibly poor reputation.

9. what

what Member

And the hating has begun. 6 years of Rudy Gay hate, now turns into Kwahi Leonard hate.

You rockets fans can't admit a boneheaded move without sarcam and running down the players that slipped through your hands.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

If Rudy Gay is your best player, your team is screwed. Trading him for Battier is hardly a mistake. In fact, that is how trades are generally hoped to work. Both teams got what they wanted.

If Kwahi Leonard is your best player, your team is screwed.

I don't think any of us would prefer Morris over Leonard, though drafting Parsons made up for that decision.

11. what

what Member

nothing makes up for drafting a lottery bust, no matter how you want to spin it.

Parsons will never be a star, so I can't see how you think he made up for the Morris pick. Just like Battier wasn't a star, so no amount of reasoning is going to change that fact that the grizzlies got the best of that deal, by a large margin.

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Yes, it was a bad deal. But not all deals will work out perfectly. Most of them won't.

Shane was a defensive "ace" next to TMac and Yao. We traded a budding 2nd tier guy for a consummate role player for a reason. If we had gone to the finals with Shane, the trade would have been worth it. Gay was a very high value piece that was strategically leveraged. It didn't pay off. In hindsight it was a significant loss, but at the time it was a legitimate gamble. The facts change. That's business.

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

We got Parsons... Parsons is basically the same player.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Also, all due respect to Popovich, but Leonard will never be a star.

15. juicystream

Most lottery picks are busts.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Rockets missed on the Leonard/Morris choice, but did well with Parsons. Morey needs to fire whoever is in charge of the Rockets scouting on African American players.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Oh great, one of the boards worst long time posters has chimed in? No articles claiming how much better than Memohis BBQ is than Texas at the moment?

I'm not hating on Kawhi. Id love to have him over Morris. I Gave up on Morris very early. And Kawhi can be a solid player in this league.

But if he makes one or two all stars teams as he face of the future Spurs, then hell yeah! That means the SPurs suck.

To the poster that thinks he has better athleticism than Chandler... Um, based on what? Their combine measurements were virtually the same. I'd argue that Chandler played more athletic on the court, though, especially with regards to fluidity within the offense. I view Chandler as the better ball handler and lane penetrator. I think Chandler has higher upside. Maybe that makes me a homer. I think he has lower downside too, though. Kawhi will be a very solid plays for years, no doubt.

Lamb, white, jones and Dmo all have an upside potential that neither Kawhi or Chandler have. It's most likely none reach it, but the rockets aren't looking for above average role players, so I'd rather take any one of them to see if the upside is there.

#57 JayZ750, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  18. juicystream

Carl Landry was a good pick.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

Aaron Brooks was too, where we got him.

Anyway, silly post is silly since there is no "head of african american scouting" lol.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Maybe we should get one, then. :p