1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poor Lin Only Fans (LOF’s)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

When he plays well, he brings me joy to share the moment. Screw everyone who tells me who to cheer for, how to cheer for them and how much to cheer for them. I ain't poor, getting to watch this young man play is a rich, RICH experience.

2. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Honestly it's really pathetic that Clutchfans has become so divisive. And honestly I hate the term "LOF" and "LOH" being used to group entire sets of members because realistically there are only a few actual LOFs and LOHs and for the most part the majority of the few are trolls. We are better than this, especially with a board full of grown ass men. It's pathetic that gross ass men will resort to name calling based on this mob mentality against LOFs...I don't know what to think of the general American population. I honestly hope it's more because this is the internet and it brings out the worst in us.

And I'm not excluding the more senior members too. It's as if the number of green rep units give certain members a slide when they post stupid things in general or divisive comments about Lin. Sometimes a lot of recent members post good things and points worth discussing, however they are often derided and dismissed given their join date and lack of green rep units as if that really matters. It's grade school silliness. I thought we were better than this.

4 people like this.
  3. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Yeah, I wonder sometimes if Clutch got rid of the "join date" the LOF witch hunt would come to an end.

Because you're right about a lot of the newer posters getting targeted for criticism as "being hateful" while the vets usually don't get called out on it, especially in the game threads which I have noticed is how all the fighting really starts.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Join date has nothing to do with it.

Every time coach pulls Jeremy Lin from a game - Dumb ass Kevin McFail
    Every time Lin turns the ball over - McFail put him in a bad spot
    Every time Harden brings the ball up the court - Harden is selfish because Jeremy is the point guard

etc...

It's basically the world is against Lin for one reason or another etc...

How ever you want to lable those posters, my message is stop seeing this as if everyone else is holding Lin back or that the Rockets shold be all about Jeremy. It's a young exciting team with a great core group of players and a coach that has done an admirable job. Give them some credit and enjoy Jeremy Lin as he continues to grow into what he will eventually become.

Join date has zero to do with it. We went through this with Yao as well.

#24 crash5179, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  5. dragonz

dragonz Member

The real enemy this forum is facing are trolls

6. Redmark

Redmark Member

People post too much, to be honest. I have problems with McHale's tactics sometimes (honestly, who doesn't?), but I post about it once or twice, and then I'm done. Some people just keep starting threads and reiterating their points (Mcfail Mcfail Mcfail etc) over and over again, and that's what gets people annoyed.

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Because these grown ass men are sitting on their computers typing thousands of messages about a game played for entertainment. At this point, what is really surprising?

8. Rocketman1234

Rocketman1234 Member

i hate when people compare lin to dragic or lowry. Especially lowry!
    I live in Canada and I watch the raptors a lot. Seriously, lowry sucks. He gambles too much on defense and takes too many threes when he cant even shoot!
    So when people glorify these players like they are steve nash, it pisses me off.

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

There is a lot of truth in your post. McHale is not perfect, he may not be the best guy to take the team to the next step and his moves may not always work. But the guy has taken the youngest team in the NBA in terms of experience, age, time together etc.. and turned them into a play-off team.

That just does not happen dispite the coach. LAL is a prime example of players not overcoming bad coaching. Steve Nash, Pau Gasol, Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard can not overcome bad coaching by Mike Brown and Mike Dantoni and we are supposed to accept that a team full of rookies, 1st year, 2nd year and 3rd year players can?

It's ok to critisize McHale but I don't think it's ok to constantly refer to the guy as McFail or to pretend like he has not done an all around admirable job this season. No other coach in the league has had to deal with the turnover in personel, lack of experience, number of rookies or youth that McHale has had to deal with (not to mention his what happened with his daughter). He deservs a lot of credit.

10. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Isn't that what forum is about? Should we have rules in place on how many times you can criticize somebody, or what level of basketball knowledge is required to post about something? Or maybe there should be threads where we nominate posters who were annoyed with and the whole forum can vote on whether they get banned for pissing us off.

Seems to me that some us just can't handle difference of opinion.

11. RoxD

RoxD Member

Are you talking about LOFs or trolls here? Please do not blame LOFs for what some trolls have been doing.

12. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

only ifthe rockets get blown out in the 3rd which is likely for a first game.

13. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

No, the dude has a point. Just look at that BleedRed guy who had like 200 posts in that thread "Lin rather have 29pts...."

14. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

This is the problem.

First of all, nobody "glorifies" these players.

They are ex-Rocket players who were blossomed playing on this team, and they were both on this team until the end of last season.

Second, because they played for this team until the end of last season, it's only natural to compare Lin to these players.

Third, show respect to these ex-Rocket players, especially because of the fact that they took a leap in development playing for this team. I love Asik, but I'm not going to start insulting Chuck Hayes to prop up Asik.

15. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

Wow. It's gotten to the point where everyone who talks about Lin has to preface what they're going to say with, "I'm a fan, but...", lest they be eaten alive.

Fans like Lin not just because of his game, but also for his character. He's arguably not just a role model in the NBA, but for everyone. The source of discontent among haters is the amount of attention he gets, which is usually reserved for superstars (e.g., Kobe, LBJ, Dwight etc). They think because Lin's talked about so much, it must be entirely because of how he plays. But it's not. Hence people who take things way too seriously end up getting frustrated, because they don't understand what all the hype is about.

It's been said numerous times already. There's no real reason to dislike J Lin. He makes his team better and he doesn't play dirty. He gets attention, but he never asked for it. His fans know he's an unfinished product, but they like what they see in him right now, and also admire his ability to play a starless brand of basketball, where his team can still win and look good doing it.

McHale and Harden ISO is met with heavy resistance, in part because it's reminiscent of Carmelo Anthony, who's hero ball led to 8 first round exits. Where one star vs. three on the Heat will only get a team 4-1 at most in a series. McHale under uses Lin, and crutches heavily on Harden iso, and it's entirely predictable not just to fans, but to critics, and also to OKC. Therefore, people want to change things by shifting the focus on to Lin (and by extension, the rest of the team) instead of the status-quo. Detractors are interpreting this as LOFs being partial to Lin, and the in-fighting among the fan base goes round and round.

16. visible

visible Member

I have to admit there are lot of Lin haters on this forum. like some one above me. Never miss any chance to bash Lin. I mean never!

17. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

There is a decent list of very over zealous and regularly posting LOFs that fit the OP description

18. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

There are far more Harden haters than there are Lin.

19. MystikArkitect

LOFs make it too easy for this. It's the Tim Tebow effect. You get a marginal player with an aura around him who had a short period of sustained success, then you create trolls that blame anything and everything when said player gets exposed.

20. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

OP no one is truly a LOF like you describe in your post. Basically the veterans on this board call anyone who started following the Rockets after Lin was signed an LOF but the last few seasons, the amount of roster turnovers, made it impossible to be a fan.