1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poor drafting kills the rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by morpheus133, May 6, 2007.

1. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Taking a look at the last 6 years in the draft and beyond Yao and Luther Head we have nothing to show for our picks. On top of that we lost a ton of picks due to trades so we were consistently picking low even when we were missing the playoffs.

9th pick: Joel Przybilla (C) (traded to Milwaukee for Jason Collier and a future first-round pick)
    38th pick: Eduardo Nájera (SF) Houston Rockets (traded to Dallas with future second-round pick for Dan Langhi)
    passed on: "Hedo" Türkoğlu (SF), Quentin Richardson (SF/SG), Jamaal Magloire (C), Michael Redd (SG),

13th pick: Richard Jefferson (traded to New Jersey along with Jason Collins and Brandon Armstrong for Eddie Griffin)
    18th pick: Jason Collins (Griffin trade)
    23rd pick: Brandon Armstrong (Griffin trade)
    Passed on: 13 Richard Jefferson, 19 Zach Randolf, 27 Jamaal Tinsley, 28 Tony Parker, 31 Gilbert Arenas, 38 Mehmet Okur,

Notable undrafted players
    Carlos Arroyo (PG), Puerto Rico and Florida International
    Maurice Evans (SG/SF), Texas
    Slava Medvedenko (PF/C), Ukraine
    Paul Shirley (PF), Iowa State
    Mike Wilks (PG), Rice

1st pick: Yao Ming
    15th pick: Boštjan Nachbar (from Toronto)
    38th pick: Tito Maddox
    passed on: 23 Tayshaun Prince, 35 Carlos Boozer (PF), 42 Ronald "flip" Murray

Devin Brown (SG), Texas-San Antonio
    Reggie Evans (PF), Iowa
    Keith McLeod (PG), Bowling Green
    Jannero Pargo (PG), Arkansas
    Smush Parker (PG), Fordham

13th pick The Rockets traded this pick along with Othella Harrington, Brent Price, Antoine Carr, and Michael Dickerson to the Grizzlies as part of a three-way deal in which the Rockets received draft rights to Steve Francis and Tony Massenburg from Grizzlies and Don MacLean and future first-round draft choice from Orlando Magic, and Magic received Michael Smith, Rodrick Rhodes, Lee Mayberry and Makhtar Ndiaye from Grizzlies on August 27, 1999.
    Unfortunately we missed out on:
    14th Luke Ridnour
    18th David West
    25th Carlos Delfino
    28th Leandro Barbosa
    29th Josh Howard

44th pick: Malick Badiane (PF)
    passed on:51 Kyle Korver,

Matt Carroll (SG), Notre Dame
    Marquis Daniels (SG/SF), Auburn
    Ronald Dupree (SF), LSU
    Udonis Haslem (PF), Florida
    Quinton Ross (SF), SMU

55th pick: Luis Flores
    passed on: undrafted Andrés Nocioni

24th pick: Luther Head
    passed on: Jason Maxiell, Wayne Simien, David Lee, Salim Stoudamire, Monta Ellis, Linas Kleiza

Picked up undrafted Chuck Hayes

8th pick: Rudy Gay (traded to Memphis along with Stomile Swift for Shane Battier)
    32nd pick: Steve Novak

So the net result is that over the last 6 years, Yao Ming, Steve Novak and Luther head are the only draft picks on the team still. Chuck Hayes was undrafted, and a good pick up, but not as a starter. Novak doesn't play. Yao was a great pick, but kind of fell in our laps due to winning the lottery.

Only T-Mac, Yao and Battier are valid starters on a real contender. The sad thing is that due to the salary cap bind the team has put itself in there is little room for improvement.

Ideally we can get a PG in the draft some how without further morgaging the future to do so. Acie Law is probably too high a pick to get, but a small trade up might get us a Javaris Crittenton from Georgia Tech. At 6'5 he is the type of athelete we need. Comparisons to Steve Francis are not exactly exciting though from a decision making point of view and he pretty much flamed out vs UNLV in the NCAA tourney this year. But he is only 19 years old.

2. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

Not to mention in 2006 in the secound round we passed on Paul Millsapp.

3. sun12

sun12 Member

No doubt about it. The management sucks.

4. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

we need, in every draft, to get someone talented and someone mentally tough.

maybe they'll end up being both, but this is the goal.

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I can agree with you that our ACTUAL picks have been suspect, but I'm never a fan of saying, "Look who we PASSED on." That might be fair if you miss badly and the team immediately following you gets a star, but when a guy slips WAY past you to the end of the round, the next round or out of the draft, that's on virtually EVERY NBA team.

That happens nearly every year with every team. It's even worse in the NFL.

I am with you on poor actual choices or close misses. But, not picking Tony Parker, who went at the end of the first round, or Gilbert Arenas, who didn't go until the second round, is unfair given virtually every other team did the same thing.

6. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

The Rockets picks and talent evaluation have been sub par to say the least. We have no money to spend either because of bone headed spending in the past. Our new coach will have serious roster problems to over come.

Les if you want to win in Houston you'd better consider going deep into your pockets.

7. BigTex

BigTex Member

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Agreed. If you're going to point out the talented players that the Rockets passed on, I think the very least you can do is list all of the other teams who passed on them too instead of making it appear as though the Rockets are the only team that failed to realize somebody like Gilbert Arenas would be a star.

Also, you failed to mention Vassillis Spanoulis. We drafted him and he's on our roster. Hell, he might even get to play next year now that Van Gundy is apparently out the door.

9. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

the team needs a makeover; keepers, yao, tmac, battier, vspan, tsaka, chuck (bench where he belongs), rafer (maybe unless you can trade)

howard (retire), head (traded, unless he learns more offensive skills), dump everyone else

10. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

Les is a billionaire but I bet he won't spend the extra money to get a star PG or big starting PF.

11. Williamson

How do you suggest he does this? All he has is the MLE and the LLE to work with. If he uses both would you consider that digging deep into his pockets? I doubt it. It's unlikely it'll get us a star and that's most likely what you're talking about. If you're looking at the payroll of teams like the Mavericks you better also look at how many years of trading for big contracts and assets it took before they really got good. And if you're looking at the Mavericks, I'd suggest you take a look at teams like the Knicks too. That's the flip side of digging deep into your pockets.

12. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

Trade:
    Our 1st Rounder this year (~#24) + Luther Head (+ Conditional Future 2nd Rounder)

For

ACIE LAW.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

With Daryl Morey and his "Moneyball"-type analysis involved in the future, I think the Rockets will take a longer look at draft prospects like Gilbert Arenas (who was a phenomenal scorer at Arizona) and Paul Millsap (who led the nation in rebounding three years in a row). I think his analysis factors in college success moreso than most general managers do.

14. Williamson

Again, what extra money? It's pretty unlikely that the MLE will get you a star point guard or a big starting PF. The last big power forward we got with the MLE was Stromile Swift and the general consensus league wide was that we got him at a bargain basement price. Scapegoat Les if you want, but can you name a single decent player we've lost because they bolted to another team for more cash? Hell, the only instance I can think of off the top of my head in which we missed out on a free agent for monetary reasons was Mike James and I've never seen anything to indicate that that was on Les. It's my understanding that CD made that call.

I'm all for us getting more talent at any cost, but league rules still exist. The salary cap still exists. You can't fault Les for not spending money he isn't allowed to spend until he refuses to spend it. If after this season he doesn't use the full MLE because he's afraid of the luxury tax, then by all means, bash him. I just see no reason to do so as of yet. I think you're looking for a scapegoat in the wrong place. Les may not be the biggest spender in the league but Donald Sterling he's not.

15. Williamson

That's a bit excessive. Luther Head + 1st round pick, sure? But an established NBA player and two picks for a mid-first round draft pick? I'd love to have Acie Law, but I just don't think we can afford to continue to trade two and three players for one. Those kind of moves are why we lack depth in the first place.

16. ThaShark316_28

Draft is a gamble for all teams...some you win, some you lose..."this management sucks"? I bet you jokers were praising them the second we made those picks....

*waits for someone to say "oh i hated that ______ pick*....go ahead and spin it...i'll wait.

17. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

What separates us from the championship teams?

Yes the draft is a crapshoot but not over a prolonged period of time.

In 8 years, if you can't draft a sleeper or trade for a sleeper, you aren't in the playoffs very long.

We are not looking at it year to year but over an extended period of time. Law of averages says you find at least 1 very succesful role player (borderline All-Star) drafted late in the 1st/2nd or undrafted.

It doesn't mean we have to hit every year or every other year. But once in 8 years is not to much to ask.

Every team remaining in the playoffs have that Super role player(s) sleeper. We don't. And that's why we lost because we have too many holes our All-Stars can't offset by trading for or signing over-the-hill veterans.

You win with talent. People are still delusional about ours.

You think it's a coincedence we haven't won a playoff series for this long?

#17 RIET, May 6, 2007
    Last edited: May 6, 2007
  18. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Its because we drafted so many Europeans

19. conquistador#11

anything before 2002 you can dismiss,reason being,drafting richard jefferson instead of eddie would have given the rockets 2 or 3 more victories in the season;thus Yao ming would have never been drafted...... Marty Mcfly,whatever you do,do not mess with the past :p

20. triplebogey

triplebogey Member

I agree with this completely. I think it's the "don't hold not drafting Tony Parker (insert whomever) against us because others missed, too" mindset that is perplexing. The fact is that somebody picked each of the players discussed so far, regardless of where in the draft. Some key players were even FA signings. The other fact is that none of those players are on the Rockets roster. You can't consistently fail to add new talent to your team each year and expect to be good (at least good enough to get out of the first round).

Just off the top of my head, I can think of the following players on teams still in the playoffs that fall into the category we're discussing:

Paul Millsapp
    Andrei Kirilenko
    (I won't count Mehmet Okur, because the Jazz had to pay a hefty FA contract to get him)
    Matt Barnes
    Monta Ellis
    Andres Nocioni
    Leandro Barbosa
    Manu Ginobili
    Tony Parker
    Jason Maxiell
    Tayshaun Prince
    Anderson Varajao
    (I'm tempted to throw in Richard Jefferson, simply for the fact that Rockets actually DRAFTED him)

The lack of talent on the Rockets roster is sobering. It may sound like typical fan-overraction to some of the roster apologists, but the Rockets need a roster overhaul. Perhaps the "win NOW because TMac and Yao have a limited window" mentality has set player development back. I don't fault this thinking necessarily, but it makes me wonder. Bottom line is that Utah had a better team and better talent...that's why they won.