1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Would the Rockets Draft Position End Up the Same If We Had Traded for Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonKnock, Mar 26, 2021.

?

Draft Position Roughly the Same With Simmons

1. Yes

25.0%
  2. No

75.0%
  1. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

This guy says we were wrong to take Oladipo because we would have a bottom 2 record even if we had Simmons (who would play back to backs and has a better track record of health).
    vote twice: here and Twitter if you have it.

2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

no, while simmons isn't good enough to matter when it comes to winning on a high level, he would be enough of a floor raiser to ruin our chances at a top 4 pick, which is one of the several reasons i was praying we wouldn't get him

3. PatBev

PatBev Member

No. We wouldn’t get a draft pick because we would be 9th seed and probably force his way out

I think Porter, Wood, and the realistic shot at a top 4 pick is the greatest thing that could’ve happened in the big picture

4. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Shocking take from Nate here. I think Ben Simmons obviously gives us a ton of wins. Not like it would make us a contender, or would have even been the right move, but I'm fairly certain we wouldn't be a lottery team with Ben Simmons.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

The rockets would still be pretty bad especially with all the injuries and guys being out. 20 game losing streak bad, maybe not. But they’d still be like 5-15 in that stretch

DonKnock and gfab-babyboi like this.
  6. foggy94

foggy94 Member

A completely contradictory take which suggests Houston should have given up unprotected picks in 2025/2026/2027 for a guy who Nate thinks isn’t even good enough with CWood to pull us out of the bottom 5 in the NBA.

7. Pringles

Pringles Member

Hell ****ing no.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Who knows, maybe Simmons would start sulking and request a trade after losing 10 in a row

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Better question might be would they end up with the same draft position if they had LaVert & Allen over Olidapo.

I think the answer is No to both ... they'd have won a few more games either way and we'd have a 100% chance to get Miami's pick.

DonKnock and D-rock like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

no, but still wouldn’t be a playoff team

this is the worst shooting team in the league, Wall and Simmons is not a good pairing, and the team is just injury prone

I think we’d be up there with Cleveland, Toronto, OKC, and Chicago

dcfma, joshuaao, DonKnock and 2 others like this.
  11. thekad

thekad Member

The Rockets had a point differential of -17 during the streak. In what universe does Ben Simmons turn twenty straight 20 point losses into wins?

D-rock, clos4life, J.R. and 1 other person like this.
  12. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

A lot of you people voting no are forgetting who would have been on the court with Simmons during that stretch without Wood:

Wall
    Tate
    Tucker

Lmao. Spacing would have been ATROCIOUS. Ya’ll think our offense is bad now? That lineup would set all-time worst records.

Check what Simmons has done with Embiid out. He isn’t even the 3rd go-to option during this stretch — he’s behind Harris, Seth, and Milton. Pathetic. I have no doubt we’d still be bottom 4, even with Simmons.

#12 Mr Woods, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  13. Salvy

Salvy Member

Taking Simmons would have delayed our rebuild until he was gone to the team of his choice... What we need is a player to break out here in Houston...

xaos likes this.
  14. Mr. Space City

Wall and Simmons would be awful.

Wall is a bad fit playing off ball to Simmons, and Simmons is a bad fit playing off ball to Wall. And PJ Tucker would've still been here as well.

The Rockets wouldn't have lost 20 straight, but what is the point going 8-12, and finishing 11th and not making the playoffs?

a 52% chance at something is better than a 100% at nothing.

dcfma, DrNuegebauer, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  15. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

That's if we get the top 4 pick. If we don't well, hindsight 20-20. I think Stone and the Rockets org have done the right thing. Just comes down to if the ping pong balls (NBA) want to give us a top 4 pick.

16. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

LOL. There is not a chance we go 8-12 if you swap out Oladipo for Simmons. We still lose 20 straight.

Have you checked the scores during that losing streak? We were struggling to crack 100 points. Add Simmons to that, and you’d think we were watching 2000’s basketball after probably averaging just 80 points. It would’ve been ugly.

17. HardenVolumeOne

You could just traded for Simmons and made him a healthy scratch until next season

HP3 likes this.
  18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I don't get it. Pass on Simmons a known commodity for a gamble at not only a top four pick but also praying that they aren't a busy and MAYBE can end up on Simmons level...

I mean Id rather just grab Simmons.

dmoneybangbang and D-rock like this.
  19. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Simmons takes away ALL hope of building a contender. My ONLY interest is to see the Rockets build a team that has a sustained run as a contender. Will simmons help go .500, maybe even have some high 40s win teams? Sure. Is that worth anything? Nope, that's the worst case scenario for me.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Be about the same - Rockets still had Wall not playing back to backs - EG and Wood hurt and still shooting below 30% from 3 during that stretch even if he plays every game Dipo missed.

D-rock likes this.