1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Which News Outlets do you Mostly Trust?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Brando2101, Jun 7, 2017.

?

Poll: Which News Outlets do you Mostly Trust?

1. ABC /NBC/CBS News

35.0%
  2. Breitbart,Drudge Report,Thehill etc

5.0%
  3. CNN

27.5%
  4. FOX News

12.5%
  5. Huffington Post

7.5%
  6. International

20.0%
  7. MSNBC

7.5%
  8. NPR

57.5%
  9. NY Times/Washington Post

50.0%
  10. Politico (for fact checking)

37.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Your ability to regurgitate talking points in pointless comments is duly noted.

2. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

All news isn't fake, although an alarming percentage of it is getting that way. BUT most 'news' today is biased...making it more in the realm of propoganda than news. How many articles have any of you seen lately from any of the MSM outlets that seemed truly objective, listing the pros/cons of the issue for each side involved? It tends to be more opinion pieces, in the guise of news. CNN etc often have their token conservative, just as Fox may have their token liberal on a panel. But those aren't truly objective. And the trend towards bias has increased. From much of the MSM, it used to be pretty subtle--which stories they would cover, and how they would portray it. Now it's pretty blatant. You have Fox as the Republican media arm, and pretty much everyone else as the liberal one. As such, you have to take everything they say with a grain (pound?) of salt. Which is why I, and some others here, listed business journals as sources that should have been on the list. As TheresTheDagger pointed out, they're not perfect, but in determining the economic impact of something, the politics tend to fall out of the equation. Even their political analysis tends to be more objective, as the goal is usually determining what impact the politics will have, not discussing the politics themselves.

Most media coverage of politics is the very same as most media coverage of sports: much ado about nothing, because they have to have something to talk about to fill the day. Little to no investigative journalism, because that takes time and effort, and why do that when you can sensationalize the heck out of some nothing that is happening now? And then you have blatant propoganda on top of that, which I also think is something recent. Classic example was the godwinning several outlets did during the inauguration this year. Not only was that totally unjustified (someone who hasn't even taken office yet hasn't done anything Hitleresque), but it was also clearly planned ahead of time. ie, it was INTENTIONAL. That's propoganda. Anyone who trusts propoganda is, well, exactly what the propogandists are looking for.

3. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Becoming less and less true, and news sources tend to feed off each other more these days than they did before. So, a 'false' story can get repeated through multiple outlets pretty quickly...which doesn't make it any less false. This is where the bias becomes important. Media outlets will tend to latch onto those stories that back up what they want to tell, and repeat those, and discount the others. Which is exactly what you see happening these days.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Your ability to detect WSJ as a non-biased news outlet is duly noted.

5. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I do hunt my own meat, yup.

New organizations are just that, organizations - swayed by the almighty dollar of advertisers (and I'm a capitalist). See "click bait journalism" for details:

There is a reason news organizations lead with violence and fear - it intrigues us. For this reason, most "news organizations" aren't about news anymore, they are about talking heads spouting rhetoric one way or another.

I'd prefer to get the facts of the situation, and form my own conclusion. I question everything in life, not just the news... it is how I feel we're supposed to be wired, but instead we've become a species of the spoon fed. You can disagree, but I thin the evidence is pretty strong.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

NPR. May have something to do with it not being a profit driven organization.

Of course, Trump and his admin want to defund it. Can't have good news org.