1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Had September 11 NOT happened, would you have supported the invasion of Iraq

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BlastOff, May 28, 2008.

?

Had September 11 NOT happened, would you have supported the invasion of Iraq

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. No

45 vote(s)
    93.8%
  1. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

and the toppling of Saddam Hussein?

Same evidence, same everything except September 11 did not happen.

I'm voting no (no surprise there).

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I think you should clarify that you are probably asking the people who supported it WITH the attacks?

3. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No.

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Basso, in case you don't know, Sadam had nothing to do with 9/11.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You should have another option; if you would always have been against it.

6. lpbman

lpbman Member

It's hard to say. The "mushroom cloud" talk would have had less of an impact on my decision making.

Dunno.... can't vote.

7. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

have you really been missing the point for these past 5 years?

8. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Since Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11, I fail to see why this question is remotely relevant.

INSERT EPIC FAIL PIC HERE

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Bush administration has been, that's for sure.

10. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Thanks for posting anyway.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

A better poll question IMO.

Do you think Bush would have been re-elected had Katrina happened in 2004?

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Well I didn't vote in the poll since I didn't support the invasion(although I do believe we should stay now that we're there as pulling out prematurely would be a disaster).

I never believed there were WMD's. And I don't believe in preemptively invading a sovereign nation, barring extreme circumstances.

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I voted No, but oddly enough, I might have been more likely to support it. I've always been distrustful of warmongers, but I was blissfully ignorant about blowback until after 9/11 and I really started looking at how we woke the sleeping Muslim fundamentalist giant.

I really did believe Colin Powell when he said that Iraq had WMDs, but I was against the invasion because our military was stretched too thin, and I was afraid of the unintended consequences. Had 9/11 not occurred, and we not invaded Afghanistan, our military would have been in better shape, and I wouldn't have thought of the unintended consequences.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

20 to 40 years from now WMDs will be found buried in Syria's sand desert. There is no doubt in my mind that there were WMDs in Iraq.

911 didn't turn me against Iraq. It was the constant unwillingness by Hussein to cooperate with the U.N. and the weapons inspectors and the subversion/corruption of the oil for food program when they were being sanctioned that defined how corrupt the system is and how much cover up there was of Saddam's deeds.

William Jefferson Clinton failed Iraq, the world, and this country when he did not take out Saddam when he had the chance just as Bush 1 did when he had the chance to remove Saddam from power. Talk about saving the Iraqi people and saving Billions of Dollars. Both of them had the chance to nip this thing a long time ago. Bush 2 is having to take up the slack for both of his predecessors, including his own father.

911 would have still happened, probably on a different date, maybe a different target. We're lucky 911 happened when it did. It could have been a whole lot worse if 911 didn't happened, and terrorists were still able to go unchecked, until they acquired nukes and took out a whole city before anybody realized the severity of the situation.

15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I voted yes. I never believed Iraq had anything to do with 9/11.

I thought Saddam was the right murderous dictator, at the right time in history for the free world to join together and take down, it could have been a step forward in the history of the planet and mankind.

But, the rest of the free world chickened out, the Bush administration was incompetent, the Iraqi people were too petty and divided to seize the opportunity given them, Islamic radicals are insanely anachronistic, and I am child like in my naivete'.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Interesting view. My guess is that without the sting of 9/11 which created the fearmongering about Iraq, the general public (as a whole) never would have been snowed enough by Bush and minions to allow the Iraq invasion to happen.

jopatmc, many people share your opinion about 9/11: Better then, than later and much more catastrophic. When you say Bush 41 or Clinton should have taken out Saddam, you don't think the same Iraqi problems would have happened earlier? Saddam, despite being a bloodthirsty and ruthless dictator, was holding that country together and preventing it's disintegration.

17. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I vote we point our nukes at China, Russia, and Europe and then invade Saudi Arabia and Iran. Set a perimeter around the middle east. Take complete control of the oil, pipelines, ports and refineries, monopolize fossel fuels, keep the oil profits and lower the cost of gasoline to US citizens to $0.25 per gallon.

And never lie again about our foreign policy.

18. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

^wow.
    better than our current foreign policy, though.