1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Do you want Melo on the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinywang, Jul 9, 2018.

?

Do you want Melo on the Rockets?

1. Yes

68.5%
  2. No

31.5%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Can he switch?

2. anchel

anchel Member

At what price?
    No, if we have to renounce to LMAM. Yes, if we can get both.

3. PatBev

PatBev Member

[​IMG]

TheRealAllpro likes this.
  4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

except Ty Lawson didn't cause any drama with us, he just wasn't very good anymore. It was Dwight vs Harden that blew up in our face

5. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

They tried to make him a PF in OKC, didn't they? That was doomed to failure to start with...so I wouldn't pay that much attention to his stats last year. Yes, he's not the player he was. That's not the question. The question is, at the vet minimum salary, would he help the Rockets, who now need a SF. I can't see how the answer to that isn't yes, unless we think he'd really mess up the locker room. I'm not a huge Carmelo fan, but I've never heard he was a bad locker room guy.

6. Normalus

Normalus Member

Definitely no. Never have.

7. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

And would we have beat the Warriors if we had another elite scorer to get us through the lulls in the last two games? Probably. So, not sure what your argument here is, as it seems to be in favor of acquiring him.

8. PWR

PWR Member

Yep...we can use Melo. His minutes should mirror Chris Paul's minutes. When CP3 checks out after 5 minutes in the 1st quarter, so should Melo. When Paul comes back in for Harden to run the 2nd team, so does Melo.

I want Chris Paul in Melo's ear at all times. That is the only way this will work.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Morey, MDA, team leaders, and the rest of the front office are going to look at the positives and the negatives and make a decision based on what is best for the team.

dc rock and justtxyank like this.
  10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

That's a good point. Maybe we should skip Melo and try to add an elite scorer like you suggest.

LabMouse and tinywang like this.
  11. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

We are a year older and didn’t get any better... meanwhile the warriors added an all NBA player. Why wouldn’t you think we are worse?

12. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

I am not arguing for anything. I am questioning whether I think we need him or not and if it's a good thing if he's on the team. Based off your assumption and ending it with a "?" and "probably", I can see you have the same sentiments.

13. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Voted no. The folks who voted yes obviously haven't bothered to watch him play this past year. Melo is clearly on the decline. He still considers himself a starting player, does not want to come off the bench, is/was vastly overpaid and won't accept playing for a minimum deal. Defensively he's below average while offensively he's become a spotty jumpshooter. I just don't see how he'd advance the needle against GS. But he'd be a "name" you can point to on the roster.

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

GS added a big man who's recovering from a ruptured Achilles. History has not been kind to others in similar circumstances. Until I see him balling out on the court I plan to reserve judgement. As of right now, all GS has done is replaced JaVelle McGee.

15. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I might have said no at the end of last year.

I think losing Ariza changed the calculus a bit. We have to take some risks to get as far in the playoffs, let alone farther.

I'll take him. I absolutely don't want Melo to take all of PJ Tucker's minutes though, because I think Tucker might at this point be a better overall player. Luckily Tucker can easily vacuum up some of Ariza's minutes with his versatility.

Note: I'm assuming that both him and Luc would be simultaneously obtainable, whether that be through splitting the MLE in half or one guy taking the min. I do want Luc back more than I want to roll the dice on Anthony.

16. chinesemamba

chinesemamba Member

so you think that with our current roster losing ariza have a chance of beating GSW? Ariza had ZERO points during game 7, im sure melo wouldve had more than that.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

On the surface , my answer is a quick and easy NO.

Then I look at how the offseason has gone down , the loss of Ariza with no replacement , Luc not signed …. last years 65 win team has regressed while the West has gotten better - including the defending champs ….. The Rockets really don't have much in the way of improving the roster.
    As much as I don't think Melo is a good fit , he was at one time a very good player and may be the only offseason addition the Rockets can make that can move the needle - close the gap between them and GSW. Its no guarantee but there is the potential ….. that's better than the nothing offseason we've endured prior , especially if it's on the cheap.

18. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

You never want to have a loser on your team. Does Morey learn a lesson yet? Image that the rockets got Melo last year, then what result would have?

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That's why I did not vote in the poll. I can see both sides of it.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

IDK about not getting better. Capela will be better. Harden still has room for improvement (if he doesn't party himself out of shape). We may have our new backup center(s) coming up from the G league. One year older doesn't always mean one year slower.
    There's always the possibility that Cousins will not be able to return to the player he was so in my eyes GS hasn't really made improvements. We had them cornered with a healthy Paul. The Lerbons Lakers aren't going to do anything with just a Lerbon. So I say we are good.