1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Poll) do you support extending healthcare coverage to undocumented immigrants

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Jun 29, 2019.

?

Do you support extending healthcare coverage to undocumented immigrants?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    61.0%
  3. Not sure at this time

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

restaurant, service industry, landscaping, remodeling, child care nanny. these are the services sought out by middle to upper class people. The same people who want their 100K of student loans forgiven.

jcf likes this.
  2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Difficult, but necessary. Progress will be measured in inches.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

How do they contribute to the GDP if the democrats continuously push to prevent businesses from hiring them?

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I read this as boob jobs . . . I could get behind boob jobs for immigrants

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Every citizen in America is mandated a boom job once in their life. Movies will be exported for the betterment of the country. Elect me as your next prez. Bye!

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

They contribute plenty to social security.

Ironically, them using fake SS numbers means they will always have their paycheck deducted for payroll taxes but never have the ability to cash out with social security when they are age eligible thus they add into the pool without taking out.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I don't this is really true. I think most of them get paid in cash, but they still have to pay sales tax and property tax so they do pay some taxes. However the thing is the government spends way more than it takes in so its not like your taxes are really contributing to their services.

CometsWin likes this.
  8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Do you just copy and paste canned responses?

9. fchowd0311

Actually many do. All the illegal immigrants who work on fake social security numbers.

10. fchowd0311

Why would I copy and paste this? Yes, eventually down the line, I read multiple articles that have corroborated this and I typed what I've read before like most posters here including you.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Illegal immigrants absolutely pay taxes. They pay sales taxes, taxes every time they get gas, many work using fake ss #s so they also pay income taxes, social security, etc. But because they are illegal immigrants they don't file for refunds.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

So you favor fraud as a way to fund social security?

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I don't favor that. It is unfair to the workers. But it does happen. I was merely commenting that it was inaccurate to claim illegal immigrants pay no taxes.

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I don't see much point in arguing with someone who can't grasp basic economics like yourself, but with brexit going forward the construction pool went down in the UK and their workers are making more money than ever. This is a lesson you would do well to learn from. Higher wages for the working class is a good thing, and these are not jobs that simply people don't want. If you pay enough, people will do the jobs. This sort of thing is applicable to most jobs except pickers who can be brought in by visa programs, but they are an exception and not the norm. I don't know what your mental bias is against the U.S. working class but I'd say you really care too much about hooking non-citizens up with the American dream. Why is that? I want to see the working class thrive but you are supporting the lowering of their wages and the destruction of the livable wages for working Americans.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

You have to go very far down the list to start getting to the jobs that illegal labor digs in to at any noticeable clip.

#32 - Maids & Housekeepers
    #33 - Landscaping
    #34 - Food Prep
    #36 - Construction Labor
    #45 - Childcare Workers
    #53 - Fast Food Cooks
    #57 - Dishwashers
    #125 - Farm Workers

Combined these fields make up approximately 5M jobs. That's about 3-4% of all work done in America.

And once you do get into the jobs that illegal labor bites into, you have to reckon with the fact that the bite isn't even that big except in the two most demanding and least desirable fields of Farm Labor and Construction Workers.

You're not going to raise wages or lower unemployment in any meaningful way by locking down the border and booting out illegals. All you're going to do is raise the cost of goods and services and spend a bunch of money in the process.

Focus on improving American lives instead of punishing non-Americans.

Edit: I'd love to see a citation on the above bolded claim. Everything I am finding via Google says that the low-skilled labor in the UK has experienced no significant decrease in wages over the past several years and no spike recently.

#55 DonnyMost, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    FranchiseBlade and dobro1229 like this.
  16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I really think there is an overestimate of how many Hispanics are illegal. I have had to work low paying loq skilled work the laat few years. When i go apply for positions that are mass hiring the Hispanics have to have some papers.

Most legit companies aren't taking chances are have a reason to

17. adoo

adoo Member

Bingo, even PGab is catching on that

Trump resorts/golf courses/hotels are not legit companies ?​

dobro1229 likes this.
  18. CometsWin

I just find it a disingenuous argument. They don't pay the taxes that every working American pays. If I used fraudulent social security numbers and identification to do business in this country I'd go to jail. Illegals and the President of the United States, above the law apparently.

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

They might be deported or detained as well for using a fake ss#. Yes, if you attempt to get a refund or collect ss, you would have a greater chance of getting caught which is why when they pay those taxes, they don't try and get refunds and collect ss.

They aren't above the law. They can get caught just like anyone else who uses a fake number.

20. CometsWin

There are millions of illegals committing felonies in this country. The IRS doesn't even have enough people to do audits, you think they're going to catch millions of illegals with fake numbers and ID's? Not likely.