1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

POLL: Can the Rockets win an NBA Title this year with current lineup?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GranvilleWaders, Jan 6, 2017.

?

Do you think this team as currently constructed without any injuries can win an NBA Title this year?

1. Yes absolutley

2. No we need to add a player or 2 for sure

3. Polls are worthless and so is this thread

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. GranvilleWaders

Let me say I absolutely love this year! It's been a while since I keep checking the schedule hoping for a game each night and watching MOST of that said game. I'm just curious how everyone feels about the team and the playoffs and if you actually believe the Rockets can win a title this year with No more additions or subtractions and no injuries?

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i think they can win a championship if cleveland and GS have an injury or two.

3. gotsis

gotsis Member

To win this year, would require getting lucky with other teams injuries and the farfetched chance of Houston getting scorching hot at the right moments against a team like GSW. To be a perennial contender, we still need a piece or two.

4. bongman

bongman Member

History and odds are against us. Even with Lebron teaming up with new superstar level teammates (both Miami and Clev), they needed one year to play with each other before winning it all the next year. It is difficult to asses probabilities without knowing our playoff seeding and who we are playing in the first round. If we play Memphis or Utah, that will be challenging enough then we will then have to go through SA and GS. We would be beat up by time we get to the finals to face the champs.

The easiest route is if we were to get number one seed in the west so we have an easy first round and only have to play one of either SA or GS.

5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

We can beat anyone but Cle or GS in 7.

Those teams have two of the best rosters of all time and we need more help to beat them.

6. txn

txn Member

I think one team besides Cle or GS will give us trouble is Memphis. Others, yeah, I will edge the Rockets in 7.

7. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

GS, SA, and CLE will be tough but I think we CAN beat them, that's all you can ask for.

Emanuele Braghetti likes this.
  8. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To be competitive in a series against a top team, I think we need another big who's a consistent defensive rebounder and a replacement for Brewer who can actually hit the three. None of Anderson, Nene or Harrell can be fully counted on to control the defensive boards every game, which leaves us too dependent on Capella. If he's out of the game, we don't seem to do well at all.

I'd also prefer a solid backup PG who can bring the ball up when opponents are full court pressing just so Harden doesn't have to waste so much energy dealing with that (not to mention his tendency to turn the ball over when defended like that). But I don't think that's a make-or-break-us gap in the team.

Yung-T likes this.
  9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Agreed. Could the Rockets(if fully healthy) beat the Warriors, Spurs, and Cavs? Sure. They'd be the underdogs though. Add one more big body and another guard and then they might be on par with those teams.

10. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Since you have applied the "no injuries" tag to us, I am applying it to all other teams in my answer as well. In this case I will answer "no".

However I personally place a high value on being in striking distance in case injuries do happen to other teams. Could the Rockets win the title with a Draymond Green MCL tear and some nagging yet playable ankle soreness for Kyrie? Yes, I think so.

I would rather gamble on a better team's health than make a big risky move (say, a Gay trade) and gamble on keeping our chemistry through it. But I do think small upgrades (particularly at the Brewer role) are in order.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

MAYBE - if completely healthy we have a shot.

Really could have used a low post scoring option and 7 footer.....but we may have enough as is.

DD

12. watashi315

watashi315 Member

I like Gordon, Anderson, and Williams. But they're not superstars. What separates a superstar from a great roleplayer is that they can create their own shots and can't be stopped when it matters. If the defense locks it down as they often do in the playoffs, Gordon, Anderson and Williams can be stopped. Which leaves us with only Harden to score.

13. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Can they? Yes

Will they? Probably not.

I think they have the 4th best chance but they are one of only 4 teams with any chance and that is an accomplishment on its own.

LCAhmed and Jayzers_100 like this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

This team is not a championship contender, this is a team that can hopefully give the real championship contenders a tough series.

Harden and role players isn't enough. We need to add another star or 2 without losing much of the core before we can start talking about championships.

bilaal14 likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

without Rubio we ain't ****

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  16. Daddy Long Legs

Wait until we sign goran dragic and take harden off the ball. He about to show the world hes on magic johnsons level

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we should blow it up, trade Harden for two superstars, sign Dragic, and build around Wiltjer.

Chanmarr and hakeem94 like this.
  18. HTX Ninja

HTX Ninja Member

I really like our backcourt rotation: Beverley, Gordon, Williams, and Harden. I can see the Rockets upgrading their front court in the offseason, whether it be the SF, PF, or C position. Obviously it'd be great to sign a SF/PF type player that can hit the 3 and be versatile enough to defend the 3/4 position. I think that's what Morey sees in Troy Williams. The second type of front court player the Rockets could pursue would be a PF/C that can rebound, block, play good interior defense, and hit a jumper outside the paint. I think that player could be Patrick Patterson?? Don't get me wrong, I think the Rockets have a chance at winning the championship. If they could just hit the 3 and play adequate defense there's no reason we can't win it all.

19. Daddy Long Legs

And an expiring contract. We also need to get an expiring contract back in that trade

Os Trigonum likes this.
  20. juanm34

juanm34 Member

If the 3 ball falls,
    We win it all!!!