1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Poll] Acquire a third superstar or a few very good players?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, May 6, 2014.

?

Superstar or few good players?

1. Third Superstar is what we need; who cares about depth?

42 vote(s)
    26.4%
  2. Acquiring good players to fill out the holes on this team is more important.

117 vote(s)
    73.6%
  1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

What is your choice/opinion?

Acquire a third superstar like Carmelo and fill the remaining roster spots with cheap players

or

Acquire good to very good players (Millsap, Pau Gasol, Luol Deng, etc.) that can fill out not only needs but also depth?

2. rullrich

rullrich Member

I think both sides of the argument are valid but taking Miami as a model...a fairly large group of decent role players are more likely to take less to make a run at a ring when your starting lineup is stacked with superstars. Enough for me to feel more comfortable filling out the team next year with a Melo or Rondo (or Love if he would be made available).

3. Raven

Raven Member

If you only have two stars, and one leaves through free agency, or their career is wrecked due to injury, then the other is more likely to leave through free agency unless you can quickly reload. Having three stars gives a team more wiggle room.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think the one thing that's deterring me from going this route is that Miami's Big 3 can play slightly above average defense (Bosh), elite defense when healthy (Wade), and elite defense when not bored (LeBron) all the while still capable of being a scorer.

With Harden as a part of any Big 3 here, that presents a big problem and while I'm confident Melo can play defense, adding him to the mix only leaves Houston with a Big 3 where each player can only dominate on one side of the court.

5. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

If our biggest problem is lack of substantial defense, why would the Rockets want to add a SF that is notorious for playing zero defense?

I'm sorry, but don't bring in Melo.

What this team needs right now are role players that can be counted on every game, and a little bit of continuity. Maybe trade Lin and Asik (for their sake, really) but keep the rest of the roster in tact. Bring in a Junkyard Dog SF/SG type and a PF that won't be eaten alive by guys like LaMarcus Aldridge and I think we might have something special.

If this team is going to get a 3rd superstar, it better be someone like Rondo, who will play his ass off on defense and take control of the court when he needs to. And I'm not talking about "taking control" and scoring all the points. I mean when the **** hits the fan and guys are running around with their heads cut off in the playoffs, he can rally the troops and get them back on track.

6. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

7. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

If those very good players are Lowry and Millsap then go for the very good players, if they are ANYONE else, go for the 3rd superstar.

8. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Why not do both? Make a trade with Boston to acquire Rondo. Use the extra room to bring in Pau. Fill out bench with MLE.. I'm almost positive Les is willing to pay luxury tax for this team to win a title.

9. Title99

Title99 Contributing Member

While I'm sure a 3rd star would be nice, I certainly don't think it is necessary. I am one of those that honestly believes Parsons can be the 3rd best player on a championship team. I don't think we are that far away. We definitely need to upgrade the bench. A small upgrade at the 1 and 4 would be good too, but I could be convinced that Beverly is good enough (assuming he stays healthy).

Daryl, please don't trade Parsons (unless it gets you Kevin Love)

10. scottie brooks

11. dznutz

dznutz Member

the best player for this roster is rondo. he plays defense and doesn't want to shoot. harden will love him

12. i3artow i3aller

I'm 100% down with acquiring a third star, but I'm nervous as to who that star might be. If LeBron is that star, and he won't be, then everything else is a wrap. Melo is probably the easiest star to procure, but he's getting older and plays zero defense. Then again, you should almost never turn down the opportunity of acquiring three superstars. Still, I'd prefer a bigger window for winning championships, and this brings me to Kevin Love. He's the ideal addition to the team imo (considering LBJ chances are at 0%). Kevin instantly fills one of our two most glaring holes and would almost completely stabilize our offense. His defense isn't much better than Melo's but at least he can offset this particular shortcoming with his exceptional rebounding and deft passing ability. He also brings that perimeter/post game whereas Melo is primarily perimeter oriented. The question then is how likely are our chances of actually landing him? I'm not so sure they're all that high to be honest, but it would be perfect. I suppose Chris Bosh's name would be right up there with K. Love, but I'm not sold that the Miami Heat are to disband if they fall short of the title.

The second plausible and much more likely scenario seems to be us making a few calculated moves to solidify the point guard and power forward positions while also keeping an eye on athletic 3+D players with size. Either situation relies on the fact that Asik and the Linja Turtle are going buh-byes. We signed them thinking we'd be in rebuilding mode so it made sense at the time. Millsap and some combination of Rondo/Lowry + fillers seems like a popular combination, and Ariza and Deng could be names of interest. I can actually envision Atlanta biting on Asik given Paul's expiring deal and the fact that Horford really wants to play alongside a true center.

We must also be careful not to overpay when unloading Lin/Asik. I don't mind sacrificing some of our future for the sake of the present, but just not at the expense of shortening the amount of time we can compete for titles (AKA no more Lin + Parsons for Rondo talk). There's really so many different ways this could end up playing out, but when it's all said and done this could very well end up being the most important off-season of the Howard/Harden era. Godspeed Murray!

13. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

This is what depth looks like.

14. Asian Sensation

3rd star but not Melo. If we can get a borderline star like Dragic or Millsap that'd be dope.

15. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

We are now rather set up well to do both.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Just get Dragic and be done with it. This team is almost there.

17. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Josh Smith is the 3rd Superstar :)

18. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I don't really think its an either or question. Until the Rockets find another big time player to add to the core, they'll pick up good role players to compliment Harden and Howard. The Rockets' recent moves are an example of this.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Both blueprints work. No need to tie yourself to either strategy. Depends which #3 becomes available.

20. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I'll take 13 Ariza/Brewer/Bev/Terry types