1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Politically Incorrect, But Telling It Like It Is

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by adoo, Sep 10, 2016.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

As Key & Peele once said, "Racist is the N-word for white people" I read that article before you posted and a very quick short and on point read.

There is definitely a victim hood for some people. I mean we had a guy in here thinking that there was white genocide going on...that's playing the victim card to the maximum.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

it's not politically incorrect to call out racists like Trump, LePage, Duke and the rest of the alt-right deplorables.

It's just correct.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I know you didn't write the article, but I'm wondering about this data it says exists. He makes a reference to it -- support for birtherism, for banning Muslim entry, for believing that blacks are lazy -- but he doesn't cite anything. Then he sums up at the end saying the accusation is based on data. Clinton didn't cite any and neither did he. Irked.

Anyway, he makes it sound like she made this charge as some part of some socially-responsible crusade to challenge the evil in our midsts, to call out and root out racism. And that's not what she was doing. She didn't go to the national stage and address the country about the sins that bedevil its soul. She went to a room of sympathetic supporters, villainized the opposition, and asked for campaign donations. Calling out the racism seemed to me to be motivated by a desire to indulge and leverage the prejudices she felt her primary audience already harbored. Much like Trump does when he blames the Mexicans or the Muslims. I think the writer is missing the point saying everyone else is missing the point. The truth of the matter regarding Trump supporters doesn't matter (well, it does, a lot; but it's not the revelation of this little story) -- the way she said it seemed to reveal a lot about what she thinks about people and how she will approach (or rather dismiss) the concerns of dissenting voters. Saying or even proving that what she said really is true doesn't make anything better.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Very good point. Hillary and Trump truly are 2 sides of the same coin. Sure there's a bit more polish on Hillary's side of the coin, but at their core they are the same.

5. SamFisher

Hey everybody, it's JuanValdez - A GUY WHO HAS OPINIONS.

as well as one foremost practitioners of lazy bloviation without any facts, such as in his all to frequent legal commentary.

But anyway, the empirical data on the racist/xenophobic alignment of Trump supporters (aside from the fact that the white supremacist/alt right movement openly treats him like a messiah) ahs been out there for months and months, and recently has been talked about at length. Here's a good summary of the various surveys from this AM's post. Here's a good Vox piece.

#45 SamFisher, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  6. JuanValdez

I know that's your thing, but I wouldn't go that far. The divisive language and attitude is similar. But when the dust settles, I think Clinton can put on her big boy pants and try to govern for everyone, deplorables included. I don't think Trump is interested at all in the concerns of those groups he's attacked in this election cycle. After all, Clinton only made a moral attack on deplorables; she didn't propose deporting them, barring them, surveilling and policing them, or muzzling them as Trump has done.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's a reason why Trump was supporting Clinton when she ran last time, they are a lot more similar than some people want to believe. I don't think that Hillary is any more concerned about those who don't support her than Trump or Obama for that matter.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

FIFY.

DD

9. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

"And I mean the president starts out with 48, 49 percent … he starts off with a huge number..These are people who pay no income tax. Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax. So our message of low taxes doesn’t connect."

“you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic — you name it. ”

hmm..funny how much peoples opinions on things can change in 4 years.

10. SamFisher

Why don't you unpack the logic on how these two things are analogous?

11. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Not all Trump supporters are Racists, Sexists, Xenophobic, however, most of the these people supports Trump.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Those survey results boost my respect for Kasich followers.

13. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Absolutely no.

14. Dei

Dei Member

There is when you're telling white countries they're racist to protect their borders from non-whites and changing their demographic considerably, potentially irreparably, as a consequence. Liberals are just too stupid to realize what they're doing.

15. JuanValdez

Nah, I'm doing it on purpose.

16. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Actually, that's a very good example of racism.

And as we all know, since they're white, Germans, Irish, English, Italians, Poles, and French share the same history. They never had any problems with each other.

[​IMG]

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Who is telling which white countries that they're racist to protect their borders from bad non-white people? Who is this mysterious force that you seem to think exists that's behind this global white genocide?

I sure hope you don't mean America. You know....the country built on immigration? You know..."Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free..." America? Do you mean that country? Maybe you meant some other ones I don't know.

Also it is pretty racist because you are implying that non-white people are inferior in some way. They don't deserve to be here in this country next to you or that you believe that if whites were to ever become a minority then the country would fail, which you heavily implied with your posts in that other thread.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

You have a strange view of life.

19. Invisible Fan

The lizardmen, George Soros, and Barbara Streisand.

Jesus saves, JayGoogle. Jesus saves.

20. Invisible Fan

tl;dr It's more like the 13% of the American population, whom coincidentally not coincidentally support trump, that are undeniably racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic, etc...

Half of Trump’s Supporters Really Belongs in a “Basket of Deplorables”
    [rquoter]
    [snipped paragraphs setting context]

Some members of the political press were swift with their judgment. “No. 1 rule of presidential politics. Okay to mock your opponent. Never a good idea to mock the electorate,” said Michael Barbaro of the New York Times on Twitter. “Any more appropriate place for Clinton to make her ‘basket of deplorables’ comment than at a fundraiser with Barbra Streisand?” asked Aaron Blake of the Washington Post. “Memo to candidates: Stop generalizing and psychoanalyzing your opponents’ supporters. It never works out well for you,” wrote Domenico Montanaro of NPR.

Most of this amounts to theater criticism—an analysis of how the remarks look, how they might play with a broader audience. In his take on Clinton’s riff, Montanaro at least begins to broach this question of whether any of it was true. “There’s no data to support such a specific number,” he wrote, taking issue with Clinton’s view that “half” of Trump’s supporters fall into a “basket of deplorables.” And in her response to the criticism, Clinton walked back from that number. “Last night I was ‘grossly generalistic,’ and that’s never a good idea. I regret saying ’half’—that was wrong,” she said in a statement from the campaign.

But “half” wasn’t wrong. “Half” wasn’t a gross generalization at all. “Half” was by all indications close to the truth.

[excerpted paragraphs with sourced data indicating voter bias]

Despite this readily available information, many reporters and pundits are still skeptical that any large number of Americans could hold explicitly racist views. “Saying racists are racists isn’t bigoted. Calling a quarter of the country racist is [obviously] discriminatory,” tweeted Josh Kraushaar of National Journal, overstating the percentage of Trump backers in the general population. (In the RealClearPolitics average of the presidential race, Trump takes support from 42.9 percent of registered or likely voters. Half of that, given more than 146 million registered voters, is about 31 million people—right around 13 percent of all voting-age adults.)

We can debate whether this is blindness or denial, but the data is clear: Large numbers of white Americans hold anti-black or racially resentful views, and for a substantial portion, those views are politically salient. They drive decisions about voting and party identification. Donald Trump did not win the Republican presidential primary because he out-organized or out-campaigned his competitors; he won because he played directly to those views, and Republican elites refused to challenge him.

Which gets to a larger truth: The Republican Party of the Obama years is an ethno-nationalist formation of white Americans. The ideological conservatism of its elites is less important than the raw resentment of its base. Trump has harnessed that and given voice to more virulent forms, to the point where key members of his campaign share neo-Nazi memes on social media.

The dismay over Clinton’s comments—the insistence that it represents some kind of insult and not a statement of truth—reflects the degree to which many of our reporters and observers still shy away from these facts. But this moment demands clarity. Readers don’t need to know whether Clinton made a “gaffe.” They need to know whether she was right.

Do millions of Americans hold explicitly racist views?

Yes.

Do roughly half of Donald Trump’s supporters fall into a so-called “basket of deplorables?”

Yes.[/rquoter]