1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Political humor] Top 25 Stupid Quotes about Katrina

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tigermission1, Sep 10, 2005.

1. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Truly mind-numbing what some of these people had to say! Either they're all on crack when they said what they said, or it's just elitists being elitists, the only way they know how...

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/currentevents/a/katrinaquotes.htm

Stupid Quotes About Hurricane Katrina
    25 Mind-Numbingly Stupid Quotes About Hurricane Katrina And Its Aftermath

1) "I don't think anybody anticipated the breach of the levees." –President Bush, on "Good Morning America," Sept. 1, 2005, six days after repeated warnings from experts about the scope of damage expected from Hurricane Katrina (Source)

2) "What I'm hearing which is sort of scary is that they all want to stay in Texas. Everybody is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway so this (chuckle) – this is working very well for them." –Former First Lady Barbara Bush, on the Hurricane flood evacuees in the Houston Astrodome, Sept. 5, 2005 (Source)

3) "It makes no sense to spend billions of dollars to rebuild a city that's seven feet under sea level....It looks like a lot of that place could be bulldozed." –House Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.)

4) "We've got a lot of rebuilding to do ... The good news is — and it's hard for some to see it now — that out of this chaos is going to come a fantastic Gulf Coast, like it was before. Out of the rubbles of Trent Lott's house — he's lost his entire house — there's going to be a fantastic house. And I'm looking forward to sitting on the porch." (Laughter) —President Bush, touring hurricane damage, Mobile, Ala., Sept. 2, 2005 (Source)

5) "Considering the dire circumstances that we have in New Orleans, virtually a city that has been destroyed, things are going relatively well." –FEMA Director Michael Brown, Sept. 1, 2005 (Source)

6) "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job." –President Bush, to FEMA director Michael Brown, while touring Hurricane-ravaged Mississippi, Sept. 2, 2005 (Source)

7) "I have not heard a report of thousands of people in the convention center who don't have food and water." –Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, on NPR's "All Things Considered," Sept. 1, 2005 (Source)

8) "Well, I think if you look at what actually happened, I remember on Tuesday morning picking up newspapers and I saw headlines, 'New Orleans Dodged the Bullet.' Because if you recall, the storm moved to the east and then continued on and appeared to pass with considerable damage but nothing worse." –Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, blaming media coverage for his failings, "Meet the Press," Sept. 4, 2005 (Source)

9) "I mean, you have people who don't heed those warnings and then put people at risk as a result of not heeding those warnings. There may be a need to look at tougher penalties on those who decide to ride it out and understand that there are consequences to not leaving.” –Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA), Sept. 6, 2005 (Source)

10) "You simply get chills every time you see these poor individuals...many of these people, almost all of them that we see are so poor and they are so black, and this is going to raise lots of questions for people who are watching this story unfold." –CNN's Wolf Blitzer, on New Orleans' hurricane evacuees, Sept. 1, 2005 (Source)

11) "What didn't go right?'" –President Bush, as quoted by House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), after she urged him to fire FEMA Director Michael Brown "because of all that went wrong, of all that didn't go right" in the Hurricane Katrina relief effort (Source)

12) "Now tell me the truth boys, is this kind of fun?" –House Majority Leader Tom Delay (R-TX), to three young hurricane evacuees from New Orleans at the Astrodome in Houston (Source)

13) "We finally cleaned up public housing in New Orleans. We couldn't do it, but God did." –Rep. Richard Baker (R-LA) to lobbyists, as quoted in the Wall Street Journal (Source)

14) "Louisiana is a city that is largely under water." –Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, news conference, Sept. 3, 2005 (Source)

15) "I also want to encourage anybody who was affected by Hurricane Corina to make sure their children are in school." –First Lady Laura Bush, twice referring to a "Hurricane Corina" while speaking to children and parents in South Haven, Mississippi, Sept. 8, 2005 (Source)

16) "It's totally wiped out. ... It's devastating, it's got to be doubly devastating on the ground." –President Bush, turning to his aides while surveying Hurricane Katrina flood damage from Air Force One, Aug. 31, 2005 (Source)

17) "I believe the town where I used to come – from Houston, Texas, to enjoy myself, occasionally too much – will be that very same town, that it will be a better place to come to." –President Bush, on the tarmac at the New Orleans airport, Sept. 2, 2005 (Source)

18) "Last night, we showed you the full force of a superpower government going to the rescue." –MSNBC's Chris Matthews, Sept. 1, 2005 (Source)

19) "You know I talked to Haley Barbour, the governor of Mississippi yesterday because some people were saying, 'Well, if you hadn't sent your National Guard to Iraq, we here in Mississippi would be better off.' He told me 'I've been out in the field every single day, hour, for four days and no one, not one single mention of the word Iraq.' Now where does that come from? Where does that story come from if the governor is not picking up one word about it? I don't know. I can use my imagination.” –Former President George Bush, who can give his imagination a rest, interview with CNN’s Larry King, Sept. 5, 2005 (Source)

20) "We just learned of the convention center – we being the federal government – today." –FEMA Director Michael Brown, to ABC's Ted Koppel, Sept. 1, 2005, to which Koppel responded " Don't you guys watch television? Don't you guys listen to the radio? Our reporters have been reporting on it for more than just today." (Source)

21) "I don't want to alarm everybody that, you know, New Orleans is filling up like a bowl. That's just not happening." -Bill Lokey, FEMA's New Orleans coordinator, in a press briefing from Baton Rouge, Aug. 30, 2005 (Source)

22) "FEMA is not going to hesitate at all in this storm. We are not going to sit back and make this a bureaucratic process. We are going to move fast, we are going to move quick, and we are going to do whatever it takes to help disaster victims." --FEMA Director Michael Brown, Aug. 28, 2005 (Source)

23) "I don't make judgments about why people chose not to leave but, you know, there was a mandatory evacuation of New Orleans." –FEMA Director Michael Brown, arguing that the victims bear some responsibility, CNN interview, Sept. 1, 2005 (Source)

24) "I understand there are 10,000 people dead. It's terrible. It's tragic. But in a democracy of 300 million people, over years and years and years, these things happen." --GOP strategist Jack Burkman, on MSNBC's "Connected," Sept. 7, 2005 (Source)

25) "Thank President Clinton and former President Bush for their strong statements of support and comfort today. I thank all the leaders that are coming to Louisiana, and Mississippi and Alabama to our help and rescue. We are grateful for the military assets that are being brought to bear. I want to thank Senator Frist and Senator Reid for their extraordinary efforts. Anderson, tonight, I don't know if you've heard – maybe you all have announced it -- but Congress is going to an unprecedented session to pass a $10 billion supplemental bill tonight to keep FEMA and the Red Cross up and operating." –Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-LA), to CNN's Anderson Cooper, Aug. 31, 2005, to which Cooper responded:

"I haven't heard that, because, for the last four days, I've been seeing dead bodies in the streets here in Mississippi. And to listen to politicians thanking each other and complimenting each other, you know, I got to tell you, there are a lot of people here who are very upset, and very angry, and very frustrated. And when they hear politicians slap – you know, thanking one another, it just, you know, it kind of cuts them the wrong way right now, because literally there was a body on the streets of this town yesterday being eaten by rats because this woman had been laying in the street for 48 hours. And there's not enough facilities to take her up. Do you get the anger that is out here?" (Source)

2. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

12) "Now tell me the truth boys, is this kind of fun?" –House Majority Leader Tom Delay (R-TX), to three young hurricane evacuees from New Orleans at the Astrodome in Houston (Source)

13) "We finally cleaned up public housing in New Orleans. We couldn't do it, but God did." –Rep. Richard Baker (R-LA) to lobbyists, as quoted in the Wall Street Journal (Source)

I'm still trying to figure out how a party so stupid can be in power? Nobody said the hurricane was the Republican Party's fault, just the slow response. Instead of just saying 'we absolutely need to review what went wrong and fix the procedures,' they keep saying stupid stuff like Katrina is a blessing in disguise and its the people's fault. Someone please explain that to me.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Hilarious...

How have these people not learned to think before they speak? They are all public figures. They know they have to be careful. It's actually kind of sad if you think about it.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

While they are it, they can explain it to everyone else as well.
    Come 2006 and the midterm elections, look for a massive, "Throw the bums out!" response. That will include some Democrats who have shown themselves unworthy of the public's trust, but the hammer blow will fall on the Republican Party of George W. Bush, Hastert, Frist, and DeLay. In my opinion.

We'll still have to live with Bush's judicial appointments, which is it's own tragedy.

edit: Sorry, but I just can't find any humor in this tragedy. I just got through reading the special report edition of Time about the storm. Just amazingly depressing.

Keep D&D Civil!!

#4 Deckard, Sep 10, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  5. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Why qualify with 'before they speak'?

You give them too much credit.

6. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

what do you all think of people who have the means to leave and don't leave during a mandatory evacuation?.. and then put people at risk having to go rescue them?

because I heard plenty of people on TV the day before the storm saying they were going to stay despite the evacuation.. and it wans't because they all didnt have a way out..

7. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I'm trying to understand what is so wrong with number 23 other than maybe not being politcally correct to say...

because if you have the chance to leave new orleans and you stayed .. you have to have some responsibility for your fate...

keep in mind im talking about people who had the means to leave.. but decided to stay

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

IF they had the means to leave and didn't, then I agree with you.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

What's wrong w/ this? Oh I know, because it's Bush.

What's wrong w/ saying nobody anticipated the breach of the levees? Ya, experts expected the scope of the damage of the winds and possible flood damage, but there wasn't a whole lot that was said about 2 possible breaks in the levee.

BTW, I love how it just says repeated warnings from experts, but it doesn't mention anything about Bush putting out a mandatory evacuation on televsion 2-3 days before.

10. tigermission1

I present to you, ladies and gentlemen, exhibit A as to how/why we have all those idiots (from both parties) in power.

As long as blind partisans exist, we deserve whomever we have.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

To be fair, you didn't even answer his question.

I'm not saying he is right, or wrong, for that matter, but you should at least show him why he's an idiot before calling him one (if he is).

12. tigermission1

Here's a small suggestion: do a little research on the internet about New Orleans and the dangers of a powerful hurricane hitting the city. Hopefully you will get your answer while learning a thing or two (I personally always enjoy it).

Unlike most people, I don't actually blame Bush for the late response, because like it or not, It's the responsibility FIRST of the local authorities to respond to these disasters taking place, and like it or not, NOLA and Lousiana in general is a poor state, ill-equipped at best to face such a daunting task as evacuating an entire city. I too believe the mayor of NOLA should be held accountable first and foremost, as well as Gov Blanco. However, FEMA's incompetence, which is reflected by some of the quotes I posted above from FEMA's own chief denying knowing about those people in the Dome, should also lead to the federal government (particularly Homeland Security) being held responsible for their total incompetence. 'Brownie' has been let go, in a Washington-manner if you will (not outright firing, which is just the way D.C. functions, so not surprising).

In another thread, I posted a poll conducted by the Pew which shows nearly two-third of all Americans find the federal government's response to the disaster inadequate, which I agree with. At the same time, I do find the Democrat's rush to politicize this whole tragedy and score brownie points with the American people rather disgusting. But really, it only adds to my disgust of these two giant front organizations for Big Business. I am already indifferent to both parties, so you won't get a partisan answer out of me.

Here's my point of contention: to imply that NO ONE whatsoever could have possibly 'imagined' the levees being overwhelmed at any given point in the past does not only constitute a 'stupid' quote, but a FALSE one. Now, pick your poison: either Bush was ill-informed about the dangers facing NOLA (which I can understand from a President who publicly stated he doesn't read the news, which is OK I guess since he strikes me as someone who doesn't like reading, period), or Bush was just lying through his teeth trying to preempt the 'blame-game' and the pointing fingers that he clearly saw coming. But in either case, what he said was FALSE, and in other threads/on the news/in op-eds or whatever else you can find as to why he was wrong to say that, simply because it WAS imagined before. This only serves to remind me of his administration's complete denial that ANYONE could have imagined airplanes hijacked and used as weapons (which was also false, and in fact information he was himself handed in a PDB in Texas).

I just think that we have to be honest with ourselves first and foremost, or otherwise we can't expect to have an honest debate about issues when we have people who are so blinded by their loyalties to one party or the other and refuse to EVER come out and say that one of 'their own' was wrong. That's all I am saying.

#12 tigermission1, Sep 10, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  13. langal

langal Contributing Member

Was the status of the levees a big campaign issue in local/state elections?

I can't recall hearing about this issue during any of the presidential contests.

14. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

If Louisiana had been a closely contested state you might have.

15. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Where is the bigtexxx post defending these quotes? Were all these quotes made up by the "liberals", er, I mean enemies of freedom?

16. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

We can always elect Bush to a 3rd term. :p

17. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Why do all those people hate americaNS?

Such terrible quotes. Mostly coming from one side of the fence. As if anyone would of doubted that being the case.

18. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I'm sure there are just as many stupid quotes from the other side of the fence. When there is a compliation this one sided you can be sure there were political motivations behind it.

19. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Nope. When there is a compilation that is completely one sided, you can be sure that it has been resurrected from a previous campaign and the names have been changed.

20. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Except the "other side of the fence" does not manage Fema, the house, the senate, the white house and the supreme court, so their quotes are less relevant.