1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Political Correctness Overboard: Elmer Fudd has no gun: update: it worked, 8 year olds stab woman

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Anyone remember watching racist ass moments from those cartoons? Most egregious I remember was Tom n Jerry with Tom's uhh...caretaker. They tried to redub her voice, then took out those episodes altogether. Looney toons had some scrubbed episodes that magically changed as I grew older.

Those crows in Dumbo were on the borderline, but they were probably the most decent grown up animals in the entire film.

Some of that stuff was dated as hell. In fact, a lot of 80s shows now would probably be cancelled or offensive for its extreme smashmouth violence or raw creepy misogyny/homophobia.

Poor @tinman, the 90's Disco Stu.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of course you have to make the cartoons slightly more modern
    However I think hunters still have guns
    And Yosemite Sam should have a gun too cause he’s an outlaw

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

They better not come for my Megatron transformer. I am warning people now all hell will break lose if they did.

RayRay10 and tinman like this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Did Fudd ever fire his rifle? I think it was only when Bugs jammed it with a carrot.

Maybe Yosemite Sam is offensive to the same people who think the word "redneck" is racially offensive.

RIP Speedy Gonzales.

Ahhh...just felt o-l-d.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The problem isn't the gun , the problem is the person behind it.

We all know guns kill.

T_Man and RayRay10 like this.
  6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I heard the looter that blew himself up at the ATM actually watched an episode with TNT just before his incident.

tinman likes this.
  7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Now a day, elementary school kids pick up gun shooting cosplay from gaming such as Roblox. Cartoon? That’s so yesterday :)

I hope they don’t do this to video games. Now that will have a material impact to consumers

tinman and RayRay10 like this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is the person, and the problem is made into a very big problem when you put a gun in their hands.

It's common sense to prevent problem people from getting guns and becoming big problems. But the NRA and gun fanatics are obviously brainwashed to stop anything that might hurt gun sales. Gotta keep up the market share of murders.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I can see that...

But let me ask you this...

Were their guns in your house when you growing up? If so did you get taught about the gun and how to use it?

Their were guns at my house and my grand parents houses..

I was taught that it was not a toy and not to touch it
    I was also taught how to use it and take care of it...

I agree about the gun fanatics and the NRA with their craziness at times.... But the thing is, the parent these days don't want to teach or train.. They want someone else or TV to do it..

T_Man

body slam, Invisible Fan and RayRay10 like this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If they are that concerned over the effects of gun violence on little kids (understandable), maybe don’t give him any deadly weapons (“cartoony” or otherwise)?

“No guns but here’s a giant scythe for him to chase others with” is a little odd, to me.

jiggyfly, tinman and RayRay10 like this.
  12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Basically this. Why do people feel entitled to have Elmer Fudd carry a gun? If someone doesnt like it, they are not forced to watch it. But yes, I get it. I dont like having social issues shoved down my throat through entertainment. This also includes sports. If it bothers me that much, I simply do not give them my support, whether directly or indirectly.

My honest opinion; Im all for less violence in entertainment.

tinman and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am not against people having guns for the purposes of home defense or hunting. Or a person who may need one because they are vulnerable. I'm not even against children being properly trained to use a gun safetly.

But what I am for is strong gun regulation.

T_Man likes this.
  14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you blew a golden opportunity to say . . .
    Clutch vs non-pure fans

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Exactly.

They could just go the Tom and Jerry route.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I used to love watching Speedy.
    Bugs was hell on wheels with his carrot, Elmer couldn't hit anything to save his life, and Sam needed a tranquilizer, badly.

T_Man, FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

More often than not , its about money / economics that drives people to commit crime. (there are exceptions)

Figure out how to turn the potential problem person away from crime and you solve the problem of most gun violence.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Elmer Fudd "I'm hunting rabbits" ..... You hunt to eat. It's been happening since the dawn of time.

Quite a bit different than "I'm out murdering rabbits"

One question - when did Elmer Fudd ever kill a rabbit ?!

T_Man and RayRay10 like this.
  20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

This brings up another "issue" with me. Just something something that saddens me a little but its been going on for at least 25 years now.

There is so much new content in cable satellite and other providers there is no more generational connection to the programming we watch. I know Looney Tunes always updated their cartoons but I watched ones from my parent's childhood.

Also grew up watching reruns of shows like Gilligan's Island Beverley Hill Billies.. My siblings are 8 and 11 years older but I watched everything they watched and that was instrumental in proving some connection to them. All black people watched Good Times and even that provided connection to each other.

Now kids five years apart don't have this connection. Just reminiscing.