1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Police shoot a man in Baton Rouge, LA.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mr.Scarface, Jul 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

2. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

That's just sad....

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

WTF was that?

4. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Whatever happened to tasers...

5. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

he had a gun? Because that's what I heard from one of the cops and why do people try to fight or resist an arrest? Does that ever work?

6. Orange

Orange Member

My ex girlfriend resisted pretty bad. She was having a mental breakdown and my parents called the cops on her. The cop handled it professionally and got her in handcuffs. It helped that she was not black.

7. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

and not have any weapon on her

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

So did he have gun? Was that asked before trying to arrest him?

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Something I read said that the cops were called because he was threatening people with a gun then he didn't cooperate with police so they used a taser on him, it didn't work so they threw him to the ground and at some point he went for his gun and they shot him. I dunno if I can see all of that in the video and apparently the cops had their body cams "fall off" during the struggle so hopefully there's more video on this eventually to either back up the official story, or hang the cops if they just shot this guy for nothing.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Link?

Rocket River
    . . .of course you 'heard' that . .. .

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Pd FB says they were called out bc someone reported him for making threat with gun, FWIW.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The owner of the store who witnessed the whole thing said he never reached for his pockets. The officers searched him and pulled his gun out, and then shot him. If that is true then this is just cold blooded murder.

While some of the protests against police incidents are not justified this one certainly is - and truly demonstrates a callous lack of the value of a life by the police. Whether it is race based or not I leave you to decide - but from what I understand of cops - a BIG chunk of them are racist.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

That could be true..but how much of that can really be seen on the clip? I thought because of the angle and poor quality you couldn't be sure of what his right hand was doing.

14. dback816

dback816 Member

You'd have to be a racist to not think this was race based.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Before the cell phone video surfaced, the cops said the body cams fell off the officers and they took the store video equipment. They wouldn't show what they have. The cell phone video blew this story up. BR police where trying to cover **** up. The Justice Dept needs to come in now.

1 person likes this.
  17. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

So what if he had a gun. Any idiot can have a gun, doesn't mean they deserve to be shot.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Some facts that have come out:
    -Police say they were responding to a call that someone made saying the guy waived a gun at them

-Store owner disputes this ever happened. Says the dead guy was allowed to sell CDs and DVDs outside of his store, was a friendly guy and had no confrontations with anyone historically or specifically on that day.

-Police said they found a gun in his pocket. I can't find a report from anyone that claims he ever tried to shoot the police or pulled his gun out.

-Store owner says he has not seen his own security footage because it was confiscated by police, but says it definitely caught the full incident on camera.

-Seems like one of the cops yelled "gun" and then another cop opened fire??

-According to the store owner, cops confronted the man and threw him against a car and the guy started asking the cops what he had done which made the situation worse.

Regarding the individual who was shot:
    -No history of violence
    -Was welcomed on the premises by the store owner
    -Was considered friendly and well liked
    -Had no history of confrontations with people at the store (according to his lawyer and the store owner)

This doesn't look good for the cops. The guy was restrained.

19. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Another instance of police ESCALATING a situation. The us vs. them ... its a warzone mentality the police have today lead to so many bad things. Police should be de-escalating things, not throwing gasoline on matches. I read he had a gun but I don't give the police the benefit of the doubt after their body cams mysteriously fell off (seriously why have body cams if they are allowed pull this bull**** all the time). This would have been swept under the rug had that cell video not come out. These shootings make our police force overall (I know many awesome cops) is an embarrassment to this country. What a shame.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I have a longtime acquaintance who is a police officer that would be considered to be of the utmost moral character.

He shared a post of facebook that was a meme using pictures to say something to the effect of "Don't resist=handcuffs, resist=death." I was honestly shocked.