1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Police Seize White Teen From Black Legal Guardians

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bobloblaw, Dec 3, 2013.

?

Was there probable cause to question the group?

1. Yes, they were sleeping at a gas station. There could have been something more to it...

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. No, this was clearly a racist move by the police.

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. You are racist for even considering that this was legitimate.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I didn't see this posted anywhere... Does this qualify as probable cause? I'm a little skeptical of the girl's parents who allowed her to come to Houston with 2 20-some year old guardians that are negligent enough to fall asleep in the car with her at a Valero... Did the police do the right thing by questioning them, if not by holding the girl?

http://gawker.com/police-seize-white-teen-from-black-legal-guardians-with-1475522397

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This thread is useless without pic

[​IMG]

3. bobloblaw

You are correct sir. Thanks

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Sounds like a lawsuit to me.

5. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Right thing? Probably, but I have a hard time believing this would happen if the two men where white. SMH at people who say discrimination doesn't exist anymore.

6. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think checking was OK, but then taking the girl away and demanding her mom come pick her up was excessive.

8. justtxyank

Look, I'm not gonna lie, if I saw those three together asleep in a car at the gas station I would think something was up. The cops may have gone overboard arresting people, but it would definitely look suspicious.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

people should be thankful that the vigilant poleece managed to save these 2 mild mannered gentlemen from the white sharkeisha #2serve&protect

10. da_juice

da_juice Member

I agree with both of these statements. They might not have gone overboard if the guys weren't young and black. Or maybe they would have, I don't know for sure.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This is where they crossed way over the line.

12. justtxyank

I wouldn't have handcuffed them, but I would have put them in the back of the car, or her, just for protection while I thoroughly vetted these documents.

To me what makes it so alarming to a potential witness, and ultimately an officer, is that they are sleeping at the gas station. The "we stopped to get directions and just fell asleep" line seems so outlandish. All of them just passed out when they pulled into the gas station?

The nature of the situation seems really odd. The two black guys also look very young so that would be alarming.

First appearances would be a problem.
    The story smells funny.

Lastly, did any of the three give the officers attitude when they were being questioned that might have further put doubt in the mind?

13. Major

Major Member

On the flipside, if you kidnapped a girl (or were involved in something else illegal), would you really sleep in public at a gas station?

It seems like you could just have asked the girl to call her mother and clarified the situation in a couple of minutes, especially given the documents.

14. bobloblaw

I agree with your comments. I'm not certain it's the case in Houston but in most cities it is illegal to sleep in your car. The driver could have ended up in jail with the girl in CPS. I think the first failure was by the mother in allowing them to travel out of state with younger 20-some year olds... They fell asleep looking for a hotel? Please.

On the other hand, if they weren't going to charge them (or if sleeping in your car isn't a crime) they should have verified the story and followed them to a hotel or something.

15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

wasn't Michael Jackson into this kind of thing?

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What "this kind of thing?" are you referring to:confused:

#16 fchowd0311, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Clarified that she made a poor choice by letting her daughter into the custody of two wholly irresponsible "adults". If you are so tired you fell asleep as soon as you stopped the car, you are on the brink of an accident. If you are so dumb you cannot find a hotel before you reach this state of exhaustion, and minor should be removed from your care.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

LOL what the hell ever.

19. Major

Major Member

You have no idea the circumstances of the case or how long they were sleeping or why or how responsible they might have been - that's entirely conjecture on your part. Lots of people take quick power naps when driving. That part of the concept of the "rest stop" in general.

20. langal

langal Contributing Member

I have fallen asleep with my kids in the car before. We're all exhausted from a long day so just pull over to the side and sleep for 15 minutes.

Beats sleeping while driving.

Cops did right thing to question them. Arresting is way over the top.