1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Police Officer Misbehaving

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by edwardc, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

GIf you want to complain about police, it seem like there are many more relevant and serious issues that you should concentrate on.

At best, this results in a formal repremand over a procedural issue. It probably won't even be that. By normal police-prisoner standards at the jail this almost counts as an inappropriate attempt at kindness, like feeding the bears at the zoo

#21 Ottomaton, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  2. Nook

Nook Member

It isn't an offense that deserves being relieved from their duties. However it is telling.

If you have a police force that views the people they serve or inmates as "bears in the zoo", then you are going to have issues.

The police need to remember that they are serving human beings and any behavior that dehumanizes needs to be addressed.

Last week there was a double murder in a bad part of Chicago. The cops at the scene made no efforts to use discretion, cover up the bodies or anything of the sort. They made comments/jokes about the two bodies in the car in front of family members and neighbors. They decided to tow the car on a non flatbed, with the bodies still in the vehicle and one of the bodies hanging out of the front window... visible to everyone in the area. There was NO respect at all from the Cook County PD in that situation. Not surprisingly the people in the neighborhood were visibly upset. Venting about the level of racism in the Midwest is another topic.... but I will just say I am not surprised that there is a complete lack of cooperation between the police and the citizens in that area of Chicago.

Again, just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean that you should...... goes for both the police and the citizens. Sometimes a little empathy goes a long way.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Have you ever been in jail? Seriously, this officer is probably the nicest guy in the place.

They train the guards for something between contempt and overt hostility as the appropriate response to any requests from prisoners. It's all about maintaining control. Most people who want to work in jails are closet sadists because the job is all about domination to maintain control. You aren't a person in jail. You're a prisoner. You don't have first amendment or second ammendment or fourth ammendment rights.

#23 Ottomaton, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Have I ever been to jail? As a juvenile.... As an adult? Not as a prisoner. I had to spend a lot of time in prisons and jails as a prosecutor. The police were a mixed bag based on my experiences. There were some that were exceptional people and some that were anywhere from mediocre to complete scum.

Some officers had dignity and really viewed their role as one to keep the neighboorhood safe by mediating conflicts, keeping a presence on their beat and realizing that they are not robo cop.

The larger issue years ago was not police brutality, but corruption. Officers doing anything from taking benefits (food, sex, money, goods) to look the other way (drug dealing, gang activity, prostitution). About 10-15 years ago we came down really hard on corruption. Officers were fired for taking free meals, went to jail for decades for taking money and with drug offenses/sex offenses were sometimes sentenced to 50-100 years.

Now from what I am told by friends still in the system, the problem is brutality and police indifference.

When it comes to certain professions we should pay more than we do. Being a really good officer is very, very hard and we should pay a rate so that we can be picky about who we employ. Just because a guy is fit, with a clean record and was in the marines doesn't mean he has what it takes.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Every day is another report of a cop acting badly or shooting someone undeservedly so. Doesnt sound like a "few bad eggs" - sounds like a big chunk of cops are not good people.

I am sure there are good cops, but I now wonder if they are in the minority.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The most recent case in Ohio will be a really interesting one.

7. edwardc

edwardc Member

They maybe but i saw this today and i thing they did a good job of handling this issue.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlCeJkNLXdo

8. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Yeah, when I clicked on this thread I assumed it was going to be about that. Cops are literally gearing up for riots right now because of the content of that video. The cop has already been arrested and is going to be charged for murder according to the police there.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that video is pretty bad, but honestly he does sort of have a case. The car did take him down and there was a chance he could have been caught under the car when it drove off......that said, I'm not sure they can sell that to a jury. It's certainly not the strongest case in the world, and the prosecutor is looking to throw the book at the cop.

10. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

The prosecutor actually said the car did not start moving until after the shots were fired -- meaning, after the deceased had been killed and was no longer able to hold down the brake pedal.

Typically if cops have a case prosecutors will wait for a grand jury before saying things like the guy has already been arrested and is going to be charged with murder. But, I don't know, maybe he has more of a case than the prosecutor seems to think. Video is pretty bad though.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well yeah, that's the story he's going to push, but if the guy didn't have the car in gear before he was shot, the car would have never gone anywhere and it couldn't have knocked the cop down. Putting the car in gear with someone reaching in your car window like that could be said to show reckless disregard for safety of the officer.

That could be a stretch, but that's the case they have to go with.

12. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...probe-into-cincinnati-campus-police-shooting/

“It was so unnecessary for this to occur,” Joe Deters, the Hamilton County prosecutor, said at a news conference.

“This office has probably reviewed upwards of hundreds of police shootings, and this is the first time that we’ve thought this is without question a murder,” he said.

Mr. Deters would not say what Officer Tensing told prosecutors. But he insisted that the officer had not been dragged. “He fell backwards after he shot him in the head,” the prosecutor said. “People want to believe that Mr. Dubose had done something violent toward the officer,” Mr. Deters added. “He did not.”

Even if the car had begun to roll, Mr. Deters said, no use of force was called for, and certainly not use of deadly force.

13. Remii

Remii Member

“He wasn’t dealing with someone who was wanted for murder. He was dealing with. someone who didn’t have a front license plate. This was, in the vernacular, a pretty chicken- crap stop,” Deters said, adding: “I’m treating him like a murderer.”
    ----------
    So did the cop(s) on the scene try to cover for this guy...?

This brings into question many of the incidents that didn't have video since police officers lie for each other.

14. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

EXACTLY!!!

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's certainly strong language by the prosecution, but if I'm the defense, I prepare as many videos of officers getting hurt or killed in incidents where someone tries to drive off with the cop partially in the vehicle. Even the quickest Google search can find results like this

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/0...y-car.wala/video/playlists/caught-on-dashcam/

where the person drove off while the officer had his arm still in the car. The person in this particular instance was convicted of aggravated assault of a police officer. I'm sure you can find MANY more examples of this to show that the officer had reason to suspect that he was in danger of serious bodily harm due to the reckless actions of the lawfully detained individual. If the man had been successful in driving off with the officer partially in the vehicle, it would have been assault thus the man was shot while attempting to assault the officer.

Let's face it, unless there is a dashcam that shows something completely different, I think that's a winning argument.

16. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

Here is an idea. If you are worried about being run over.... step away from the car as opposed to MURDERING someone by shooting them in the face! How difficult is that?

There is zero justification for this. I am sure it will get knocked down to manslaughter, but this cop is going to spend considerable time in jail for his absolutely indefensible use of force.

Sickening.

17. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I am not justifying officer Tensing's actions. But there has to be some accountability on the part of the suspect too. You can see the moment Mr. Dubose makes up his mind to make a break for it. He pulls the door shut with one hand and starts his ignition with the other. He made the conscious decision to do that, and he should have known at that moment that he was placing his life in danger.

If I break into someone's house, I am making the conscious decision knowing that anything can happen. If the homeowner is armed, they can shoot me. This guy here made his decision. If he had simply answered the officer's questions (repeated by the officer and ignored/evaded by the suspect several times) and sit still instead of trying to make a break for it, he would be alive today.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Oh yea, there would have been. Do you think there wouldn't be seriously consequences for doing what he did lawfully?

Execution isn't it though.

You are crazy if you are justifying this in anyway, other than maybe a complete higher brain functioning collapse on the officer side.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

As soon as he threw the car in gear with the officer's arm inside the vehicle, he displayed reckless disregard for the safety of the officer and made it clear he was attempting to assault the officer with a deadly weapon if that's what it took to escape.

When you threaten to attack cops, or any armed person, with a deadly weapon, you run the risk of getting shot.

Getting an impartial jury will be difficult, but if they manage to draw one, I think he's got a fairly good chance of walking. Video showing what happens and can happen to people when they get caught up in the door of cars driving off will be huge in this case. IMO that's what will sway the jury.

20. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Can't believe people are actually defending the cop.

Well not the shocking unfortunately. Sad