1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pokemon Go!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Jul 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm with you here, tho I don't hate on those who are playing. I watched Pokemon when I was young, but somehow this just doesn't appeal to me. Interesting concept tho.

2. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Honestly it's lost some of its appeal considering I've been playing it a lot since launch(not as much as some I'm only level 13). It's nice going out and all to find new Pokemon but I think I still prefer my 3DS Pokemon games. I'm sure some of it will change once they add more features (trading, battling, etc).

3. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

^^^ what he said.

4. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Saw a Meowth today after hunting it down and it disappeared right before i could click it :mad:

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I've not seen one of those at all, though I haven't been near the water really (my wife saw one though, but failed to catch it). I do find plenty of wild pokemon with CPs in that range. Best I've found was a Dodrio that was at 496.

I'm a level 12, and have yet to have such luck.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

There are kids crawling around looking for pokemon at 11pm on a Tuesday night. I guess video games is what's going to get kids outside.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Haven't downloaded this yet (not sure I will), but I think this is genius.

8. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

My workplace is a college campus and it is absolutely crazy. People seem to be having a lot of fun

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I missed the boat with Pokemon when I was like 19 or 20. I never understood the hype then, and I still dont understand it today.

How many characters are there?
    How do you know who is rare and who is common?
    Is there a website you'd recommend for me to understand more about their universe, the characters, strengths and weaknesses of each, etc...?

I dont mind educating myself on the topic and gaining interest, it's just that it's always been something I've never quite understood.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

Imagine 500k gathered on the national mall for July 4th, with nothing to do, until an invasion begins, and then they begin fighting off a massive Chinese zombie invasion with their phones, and the roar of victory.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great concept, great game that can only get better.

Can't wait to get some strategic battles going.

12. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

So since it's just been released, is this strictly just about running around and collecting Pokemons right now? And then eventually you build them up to fight others?

I never got into Pokemon at all so I'm also trying to get the gist of it.

I'll start another thread on the point of Snapchat while I'm having my early bird dinner.

13. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

It is slowly beginning... this picture was taken this morning.

[​IMG]

14. mrm32

mrm32 Member

There's 700+ total Pokemon. Only the original 151 are in Pokemon Go.

I guess if you're new to Pokemon then you really don't know who's rare or not as this knowledge is basically built up through years of playing the handheld game.

List of legendaries through every generation:
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Legendary_Pokémon

Pokemon was a cultural phenomenon when it first came out. I was introduced to it in the 4th grade and still play the games at 27 years of age. They're very good games with tons of replay value. The cartoon is pretty good itself.

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Ok, thanks....and what's the idea behind trainers and gyms? That's something that I keep seeing people mention.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It means don't come round to Museum Of Natty Science, centennial gardens, or Miller Outdoor unless you're trying to get messed up.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. likestohypeguy

I'm reverse on both those attitudes. Addicted to an equally ridiculous game myself, I don't question the appeal. I just already had enough trouble dodging people on park trails before this game existed, people absentmindedly meandering around looking at whatever else on their phones.

Now I saw the first horde of them the other day, who I assume were playing. Maybe it won't be so bad- with the camera incorporated they'll have some range of vision of what's in front of them, vs. looking at twitter or whatever. Still, it's the distraction, and I'm getting a little snooty.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SMGz3sXRhvE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. mrm32

mrm32 Member

In the games a trainer is anyone who trains Pokemon. You, me the guy across the street.

Gyms, in the games, are comprised of several trainers that specialize in a certain type of Pokemon. You must beat them all in order to reach the Gym Leader. Beating him/her will earn you a Gym Badge. You need 8 badges in order to challenge the Elite 4. The Elite 4 are basically the 4 best trainers in the world. You beat them you become a Pokemon Champion.

In Pokemon Go, Gyms are controlled by different teams. Team Instinct, Mystic or Valor. These teams are new to the Pokemon world. You can look in your map to see when you're near a gym. If the closest gym is being represented by your own team then I believe you are just limited to training your Pokemon there to get stronger (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

If you're near a gym that another team occupies then you are able to use 6 Pokemon to dethrone that team and claim the gym yourself. You then must leave one of your Pokemon (if you choose to) to protect the gym otherwise you can leave it as is and have someone else claim. The Pokemon you leave will not be available in your party until that Pokemon gets dethroned.

1 person likes this.
  19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This is what I want to know, too. Right now sounds like you create Gyms and have Pokemon guard them...but doesn't appear to be TCG Battles...rather they just duel off-screen...at least I've asked that here and no one responded.

I foresee the ability to do Capture the Flag type AR battles, where you have to be at location to use your Pokemon in real TCG-style battles. Maybe temporarily transfer them to other players.

Many possibilities

20. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Anyone going to Discovery Green on Friday? I went Sunday after the Astros game and it was packed! There's about a dozen pokestops and they had lures on 6 or 7 of them. Minute Maid Park is also a good place to find them. I caught 32 there Friday night and about a dozen on Sunday.