1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Point Guard Prospects for Rockets in 2015 Draft: Jerian Grant vs. Kris Dunn vs. Delon Wright

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Clutch, Mar 23, 2015.

?

If Rockets pick late lotto and go point guard, who would you like to see in Houston?

1. Jerian Grant (Notre Dame)

59 vote(s)
    44.0%
  2. Kris Dunn (Providence)

38 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. Delon Wright (Utah)

17 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. Other (Please specify)

20 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Cameron Payne is the best choice at this point.

2. Normalus

Normalus Member

Any free live streaming via web? Today they should be playing 5on5 and ESPNU should stream, but I couldn't find any link for free spin. Will rep ;)

3. atwood

atwood Member

Fred VanVleet, Wichita State, is he in this draft? Could be a prospect if @ 2nd round;)

4. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

I like Dunn. He can finish and plays crazy D. Imagine if he and McDaniels develop as our future back court counting their upsides.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

I always advocate just going BPA. The reason is becauze for the next 3-4 years, your average pg FA will be miles better than your average late lotto rookie. As such I dont think the Rox should box themselvez into going into any specific position and just get the guy they think has the highest ceiling.

6. malakas

malakas Member

Dunn decided to stay another year..:(

7. Normalus

Normalus Member

Found: LINK

1 person likes this.
  8. malakas

malakas Member

Repped.:)

9. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

I was initially wary of Tyus Jones' ability to hold his own based on how small and light he seemed, but I'm a little more open to idea of him on the Rockets now that his measurements came in much better than expected.

Not sure he'll ever become a good defender, but mediocre to average seems like a possibility.

Not to mention the fact that he's still 19, so he could maybe grow a bit more.

10. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Tyus Jones was a huge winner. Thought he would be like 5'10"-5'11" without shoes. A hair above 6 feet with 6.5% BF at 185 lb are great measurements.

Stanley Johnson with his 6'5" measurement is going to hurt his SF stock. Winslow is half an inch smaller, but has a 2" reach advantage.

Cliff Alexander at 6'7.25". lol GTFO with his PF stock.

11. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stupid question - I assume Prigioni and Jet are gone next year - probably to a retirement home. Are we 100% sure that Pat Bev won't be back on a reasonable contract?

I looked up upcoming FA point guards and none of them look all that interesting. Tyrus Jones looks much more appealing to me if you have a big, strong tough, defensive minded player to back him up when people start to take advantage of him defensively.

Some of the older, bigger guys I would stay away from in a total void, look like they never be stars as players, but look like they will be able to play a complete game with starters minutes right away.

Tyrus Jones looks to me like maybe the most upside - he ses a natural at all the traditional PG skills in a way that I haen't really seen from much of anybody else in this class - but if he plays 34 minutes and gets killed defensively next year, I'd rather someone with less upside, but more of an ability to nm other be exploited by other temp all year long next year.

This is still a team in contend now mode.

13. malakas

malakas Member

Height isn't everything. Look at Jones athletic measurements in the combine.
    Even if he gets a tiny bit taller, he won't get much faster. Because athleticism is the most most difficult thing to improve on. And these guys athletic measurements don't even represent reality- they are much better than what they will be like on court. They have trained for months and weeks to do well in the combine.

I like Cliff Alexander. He has very good length and I think he will have a good carreer in the league.

14. rocketmc

rocketmc Member

Doesn't matter who we get, Harden will always have the ball on every fking play. If I was a point guard, I wouldn't want to come to the Rockets because you will never have a chance to develop.

15. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Oldish article on Wright vs Grant. Some statistics are off (it was written on Feb 2, but the points still stand.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...t-guard-prospect-delon-wright-or-jerian-grant

Summation - Both had top 5 winshares, meaning they were "the man". With a couple of exceptions, the rest of the players in the top 10 were from "Gonzaga" or "Murray State". Not bad basketball, but I don't think you can compare to the ACC or the Pac-10.

Neither is a great athlete - neither will ever break ankles, but the author gives an edge to Wright here.

One of the most amazing stats is FG% from within the lane. Wright shoots a top notch percentage of 68%, which is great, but Grant must have found cheat codes to enter "god mode" as he is hitting 78.5%

Grant has a higher assist rate, but looking at advanced stat "assist percentage" shows them equal. The author explains, in part, by indicating how often Grant ran the P-n-R, while Wright's coach loved to ISO him.

One place where Grant clearly leads is the three pointer. He shoots a much higher percentage than Wright and a much higher volume.

The one place Wright has a major advantage is defensively. 2.5 Steals and 1.5 blocks per game, while Grant manages 1.7 steals and .5 blocks. Obviously those stats don't tell the whole story, but the author gets some quotes that rave:

[rquoter]
    "He's as good of a defender as I've seen. He'll guard the ball, he'll guard off the ball, he's quick, he anticipates, he's got good hands, one scout told King.

[/rquoter]

Grant with effort can be a pretty good defender, but won't be as good as a natural.

The conclusion:

If you're looking for someone to handle the ball a lot, make things happen and generally be an offensive focus Grant's your pick. He has much more natural offensive potential.

If your looking for a guy to be a lock down defender, and setup and run the team, probably without dominating the ball, Wright is your guy.

Personally, it looks to me like Grant is a guy who could blow up, or flame out depending on circumstances. Wright is the kind of guy like who'll never make an all-star team, never become a household name, and probably never be a regular starter, but could be a glue guy, like Nate McMillen was for those Supersonics teams (if you ever saw those sonics play, you know how important it was for him to defer to Gary Payton).

This far down in the draft, you can take a high risk move on a potential superstar. Or you can take a little bit less of a risk on a team glue guy with skills.

I voted for Grant, but I'd change it to Wight as soon as possible if I were able.

1 person likes this.
  16. malakas

malakas Member

If I'm not mistaken Grant jumped off a defender shoulder! to dunk once or did I imagine that??? It was weird. Why he hasn't good athleticism?

17. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

I think the point is he can jump, but he has a lot of bulk to his body at 6'5", but he's never going to be CP3, waterbuging around guys to break ankles. Not trying to be disrespectful, but he's basically a point guard in a 2 guard's body. If you set up the 20 yard shuttle and the 3 cone drill, finish well against some two guards. Put him against Centers, and the guy's the winner.

Think about him trying to keep John Wall or CP3 in front of him. He could probably get physical and bump them, but I don't know on what planet he keeps CP3 in front of him just by the quickness of his feet.

Everything is relative. Relative to the lightning quick 6"-6"1' point guards around the league, he's just not going to be the quickest guy in the room.

Apparently he has really good hesitation moves and changes of direction that help him compensate. But he'll never win an NFL combine skills competition against CP3, Rajon Rondo, Jeff Teague, Kyrie Irving, Mike Conley and John Wall and finish near the top of the pure athleticism rankings. If he didn't finish last in that competition I'd be gobsmacked. But if you look at a player like Marcus Smart in Boston, you can make it work as not the fastest/quickest PG in the room.

#117 Ottomaton, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

19. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Oh, also excuse me, too. I men't to write that Grant had a slight athletic edge on Wright, not the other way around. That was a typo. But neither should compete in that hypothetical NFL draft combine of mine.

20. malakas

malakas Member

I think taller PGs are the future of the league in my humble opinion. There are too many sg born in pg bodies right now and their defence takes away all/most the offence they give. Plus if you have a taller pg you can utilise a fast switching defence and will boost all the team defence.
    The lack of good wings as well at this moment in the league makes a taller defensive PG even more important.
    Besides guys like Wall and CP3 are once in a generation talents and it's no coincidence they were drafted where they were drafted. I don't think anyone will expect such things from the 18th pick.

In the Rockets case a taller good defender PG will be a godsend next to Harden. Well if he can shoot some too.

What do you think of Payne Ottomaton? Also do you think you can make a mock draft? You seem to know a lot about the draft.

OT : what is a NFL combine skill competition? It's like the NBA where they run? Sorry for my ignorance but I'm a foreigner. I hear the best american athletes go to the NFL.