1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Point guard alternatives

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zaam, Jul 1, 2013.

1. TheLastPope

TheLastPope Member

the point is there isnt much difference between Dragic and Lin

dragic should have put up 18/8 on the suns

Lin should have put up 15/7 in houston

Dragic had at least Gortat and Scola( only half the season with Gortat)

Ive been watching some philly games , Holiday had nothing around him

2. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

It's just ABL going at it again, lol actually it would Lin's stats wonders for him to be traded there.

3. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

With all the discussion around Calderon (of which I think he would be a great fit with Dwight post based offense) I found this article.

Discuss

4. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

But Dragic is the main man. OK I don't want to go on about how great Lin is. Cause frankly he does have alot of stuff to improve on. And I would love for the Harden/Lin to click one day. If Lin stays, but if he goes and gets traded to mediocre team , we could be surpised again.
    But when Lin fate forces Lin to be the main man. He has so far produced above expectations. In the Knicks when Melo was out and Rockets when Harden was out. Clippers and Spurs game.

5. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

yea why not.

6. ERC

ERC Member

No, Lin is NOT better than Curry. I was responding to someone's post who claimed Lin's better than Dragic because he supposedly "beat" Dragic twice, and I was merely using the same (flawed) logic to counter it.

Your Lin-vs-Curry example essentially made my point for me (thank you!): one can't just draw conclusion from a simple W-L record.

The performance of a PG is, in many ways, predicated on the pieces around him. During Lin's Linsanity run, had the Knicks not had Novak to make the 3s after Lin's drive-n-kick, or Chandler to catch those alley-oop passes, Lin might have posted different #s. How many times this past season did you wince when Asik fumbled a beautiful pass from Lin? More than a few, dare I say?

I like Lin and consider myself a fan (look at my join date & check out my prior posts if you're really, really bored). But I think Dragic is a pretty decent PG too. There is no need to bash other PGs to convince fans that Lin is better. To say that the Suns were bad because Dragic didn't make the team better? Please. :rolleyes:

7. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

My point is comparing stats, when one player is first option and the other is 3rd option needs to take that into account.

8. ERC

ERC Member

That's my point EXACTLY.

You (well, not you, but the user whose tweet I responded to) want to argue that Lin is better than Dragic, go for it. By all means, convince folks with analysis, stats, shot charts, observation, etc. Make a strong case. But to blame Sun's subpar performance on Dragic or made a simple blanket statement like "Lin beat Dragic twice", that's just lazy and unfair bashing, IMO.

9. ERC

ERC Member

I meant post, not tweet. Obviously got sidetracked by twitter...

10. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Thx ..

Does anybody know what lin's contract , i noticed some confusion about it

11. ERC

ERC Member

As far as cap space is concerned, it's $8.3M for the next two years.

As for the actual amount Lin is getting paid, it's approx. $20M for the next 2 years ($5M in 2013-2014, $15 in 2014-2015).

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I am Chinese American and speak Mandarin fluently, but WTF does that have to do anything? I AM unbiased, because I see Lin for what he is, a mediocre PG. No one is acting like Lin is the best? Are you freaking serious? Did you miss out on all those threads where people were saying Lin was better than John Wall. How about the ones where people are declaring Lin to be the real thing because Magic Johnson said so? Or the people saying that Lin can draw other stars? Very few people said Morris would be an All-Star. What lots of people did say was due to Morris's offensive skillset, he could be like Melo and a mismatch nightmare.

13. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Since I can't edit my post, let me just add this on. One of the most ridiculous arguments that I hear from many LoF is that Lin is a top 10 PG. That one always makes me laugh.

14. jason330i

jason330i Member

john wall is not the best PG.

being the real deal does not mean best PG.

drawing other stars does not mean best PG.

top ten PG does not mean best PG.

i don't see anywhere in your argument where lin fans says he is the best PG in the NBA.

15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

If you read the original post, I said they ACT like he is the best, constantly propping him up to be incredibly good, dissing coaches and players they feel steal minutes away from him, to have him score more so we can "develop" him. As for your points

1. John Wall is not the best PG, but he is definitely top 10. For anyone to suggest Lin is his caliber is r****ded.

2. Go back and read Johnson's actual comments. He calls him the real deal and compared him to Nash and Stockton, arguably 2 of the the top 5 PG's in NBA history.

3. Top 10 PG means one of the best. Top 10 can mean 1st all the way to tenth.

My point is that Lin is mediocre and the way his fans acts makes them even more intolerable. With T-Mac and Yao, they at least had the skills to backup their r****ded fans that plagued this site for so long. I personally don't want Lin traded unless we get have a comparable PG in place already. I am not one of those people who want to trade him for the sake of trading him, though admittedly getting rid of LoF's would be great.

1 person likes this.
  16. jason330i

jason330i Member

well, of course you are free to believe what you want, but how about this.

lin did have one of the best starts in the history of the modern nba. * but i will acknowledge it was against a "tired" nba playing a condensed season.

lin just completed his first season as a starter, comming off an injury. why so quick to close the book on him?

john wall struggled for a period of time, where some people were calling him a bust. but look what happened, you give a guy a chance to develop, and they could get better.

lin is the first asian american to play basketball in the modern nba. why are you so offended by people's enthusiasim?

17. chenjy9

Supporting Member

1. I am NOT closing the book right now. Currently Lin is a mediocre PG. I am not saying that is all he will ever be. I for one, am hoping he improves as long as a Rocket as long as it does not come at the cost of developing Harden further.

2. John Wall is still currently miles ahead of Lin IMO. There were quite a few Lin fans arguing that Lin is just as good as Wall. To me, that is completely ass backwards and r****ded.

3. I am not offended by people's enthusiasm. I personally don't care what race a person is, just how good of a basketball player he will be for the Rockets. What does offend me is when these dumbass LoF come in and spill their ilk all over a place on a BBS dedicated to the Rockets, not Lin.

18. atwood

atwood Member

Really? Thank god you are not the one running this forum...

19. chenjy9

Supporting Member

So you like seeing Lin fans come in trashing McHale, Harden, and Beverly because they feel like those people are taking away minutes and touches from Lin? So you like seeing Lin fans propping Lin up constantly as some great PG when he is only mediocre? Sorry, but this forum is for Rockets, not Lin. They need to GTFO and find a Lin only fan forum where they can talk to each other all day about what a wonderful player Lin is and how bad the Rockets are for not properly developing him. LoF's disgust me, even more so than ToF's and YoF's.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Can't be emphasized enough.

LOF should welcome a Lin trade, so he can be featured.

The writing is on the wall for Jeremy. His time here is coming to a close.