1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Point guard alternatives

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zaam, Jul 1, 2013.

1. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

It looks like Mark Deeks was spot on regarding Lin being shopped. If the other info he passed along was as accurate, the organization is pretty high on Beverley. I can't imagine they would want to begin the season with him starting, though. A solid vet at a good value would be ideal.

It's not clear that the Lin/Calderon rumors had any legs. Since that's been discussed already I won't include that here. Two UFAs who might fit in are Jeff Teague and Jarrett Jack. I'm tossing their names out there because I haven't seen any discussion of them yet. Both had relatively good numbers last year, and could provide some buffer until Beverley and Canaan are ready to take over.

Teague, of course, is a UFA coming from Atlanta, which means that they will be in the market for a point guard if he signs elsewhere. Would the Hawks have interest, maybe in some deal involving Teague and Smith / Asik and Lin? Atlanta also drafted Shroeder, who I think is going to be a really nice player, although that doesn't address our need for a vet. To be clear, I have made no attempt to do number on this, between the distribution of Lin's and Asik's remaining salaries (total 2 yr around 20 mil each) and the unknown value of Smith and Teague. I'll leave that for those with more time and cap savvy.

Jack might wind up back with the Warriors, and signing him would require dumping Lin's salary in some separate deal. Just mentioning him here as a solid alternative.

2. jason330i

jason330i Member

steve blake?

3. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

deeks said we'd be looking to dump lin for nothing. im still not sure thats the case when there isn't really a better option out there with cp3 resigned. cbs just reported that lin was in potential trade talks, not necessary a salary dump where we'd receive nothing back of value. and isn't teague a rfa, not ufa? i doubt hawks let him go, tho they did get schroeder in the draft, iirc?

4. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Berger said the Rockets wanted back a starting caliber point guard. There are only a few of those available. Off the top of my head:

Calderon: would be sweet on offense, good foil to Beverley, defense a concern but Howard could ease that burden...but injury proned, Detroit reportedly wants him back.

Rondo: super athletic lock down d, could be good at getting howard the ball down low...but cranky, prob. won't be 100% next season, poor outside shooting bad fit next to Harden.

Lowry: really good fit next to harden with improved shooting and would be able to focus more energy on D than last go around, new GM in Toronto might want to move him...but injury prone, hot head, only one year on contract

Dragic: Great size for position, did everything on offense for phoenix last season, great fit next to harden...but not sure why phoenix would move him, even if they have a new gm. Young enough to be part of their rebuilding project.

Tyreke Evans: great size for position, only 23, super athletic, could back up harden and parsons, still has a lot of potential, improved outside shot...may be a knucklehead, too expensive/rfa, not quite the mindset of a point guard.

Jeff Teague: lightning quick, good finisher, great from 3-9 feet compared to most point guards, decent defender, still young...probably too expensive, bad outside shot would be bad fit next to harden.

Eric Bledsoe: great athlete, young, cheap contract...Clips would never trade to conference rival, plus they want a SG and the only good one we have isn't going anywhere.

Mo Williams: good shooter next to Harden, smart veteran...but barely good enough to still be considered a starting point guard

Brandon Jennings: So he's available but does anyone see this as even remotely realistic/desireable?

Darren Collison: Mike James started over him for times last year, enough said.

Jameer Nelson: Smart veteran, probably could be had for cheap given that Orlando is rebuilding...but he shoots terribly now, has a bad contract, and is undersized.

Nate Robinson: Instant offense...does anyone seriously see him as a start PG? Would love him as a 6th man on a cheap contract, but never anything more.

Aaron Brooks: If 2M was too much, doubtful we'll find ourselves in a place where we want him as a starting pg.

Greivis Vasquez: great floor general...but if he isn't good enough to start for Pelicans why would he be good enough to start for us?

Jason Kidd: Heady veteran, still has game...but is now a coach. Nevermind.

Bob Sura: Still good for 10 and 5...jk

Did I miss anyone?

1 person likes this.
  5. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

sign and trade for Jarrett Jack.

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

This, the guy fits perfectly with our system and what we're attempting to achieve.

Very underrated PG that brings a little bit of everything to the table.

7. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I really wish we would have signed Dragic over Lin

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Lin/Asik/Lull/2014 1st rounder for Smith/Teague

#8 Aruba77, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  9. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

damn...forgot jarrett jack. He'd be a decent option too

10. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

If the Dwight Howard and Josh Smith rumors prove to be true, then yes... Jarrett Jack makes the most sense for everyone involved.

Rockets would have too many players who are at their best attacking the rim (Harden, Dwight, Smith, Lin). Opposing teams will just pack the paint because there aren't enough jump shooters to keep them honest. Trading Lin for Jack helps alleviate that problem.

Golden State has the largest Chinese population in the nation, and probably the entire western hemisphere. Acquiring Jeremy Lin would be a marketing coup for them. And they did express interest in signing Jeremy Lin last summer.

For Jeremy Lin, he gets to go home where really belongs.

It's a win, win, win scenario.

11. Big Red Machine

Teague is a RFA, not a UFA.

Also, Teague is a pretty good starting caliber PG. I'm not sure I'd expect Beverley or Canaan to ever be as good as him. I'd be shocked if Canaan was every starter caliber in the NBA. He's a lot like a slightly bigger Nate Robinson. His future is as a bench spark plug.

12. jason330i

jason330i Member

you do realize that Lin played for golden state first. they dumped him when he was cheap.

you think they want him now?

13. amak316

amak316 Member

People are so low on Lin right now and it's ridiculous. Did he have a bad playoffs? Yeah terrible. I understand this is a "what have you done for me lately?" league, but, you people were supposed to have watched all season. Lin also got hurt in the playoffs after playing every single regular season game, remember?

People look at the numbers and say Lin is essentially a below avg point guard making above average money. This is BS. He came here as a pass first high usage % player and then the Harden trade happened. Now he became an off the ball spot up shooter. Not his strength at all but his numbers still lived up to his contract. Lin is easily a top 10 point guard in the league, you guys will see that if we ship him off for scraps.

Lin had a history of making good big man great, if we get D12 Lin will make him look like Wilt. This would be an awful move Imo.

14. basketballholic

I don't see it. Too much money and too many years for all those guys. All we need is a stop gap until Canaan gets half a season under his belt and Beverley becomes more connfident. Gotta look at PGs with 1 year of guaranteed money left or sign a guy for vet minimum or using one of our exceptions.

I still say the Dunleavy for Lin move has legs. Dunleavy would be the perfect Delfino/Garcia replacement and then you've got your room exception (or possibly even full MLE) to offer about $2 million for 1 season to a pg.

15. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

Same could've been said about the Rockets.

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That was before Linsanity....

And we took him back after doing the same... I'm sure they rather receive something of value rather then letting him go scott free.

17. basketballholic

Remember...if we're trading Lin because we want to move out his salary and Beverley is really that good.....then why waste money on another point guard. We don't need a starter. We possibly need a backup with 1-yr left that can step in if Bev struggles or goes down with injury. We don't need more than that if we are moving Lin for salary reasons.

18. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

Both George Hills and Mario Chalmers I think would be a good fit starting next to Harden.

19. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I'd go with Calderon. He's would FIT well.... good shooter, tough-minded an not bad in pressure situations. Is he a guy that will break down a defense and create shots for others? No, but that's what Harden will be doing a lot of.

Remember, the Rockets signed Bob Sura to play next to TMac for the same reasons.... Calderon would be that and I think better. Effectively bring the ball up, get the ball to Harden, Howard or Parsons and get to an open spot to shoot the three.

20. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Lin for Jack is a lateral move.