1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Podcasts] Serial: Season 1

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DarkHorse, Nov 3, 2014.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yes, thanks for the mar1juana infomercial, but believe it or not, even people who aren't smoking weed have a difficult time remembering things even in the very recent past. Proof? Well, see Serial, Episode 1, where they run an example.

Add mar1juana... which I too have smoked extensively, and it doesn't help, that's for sure. Considering his age, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't "just" high...

The narrative that it's amazing he can't remember what he was doing exactly at the time is ridiculous. As the podcast notes, and as is logical, people who don't need alibi's tend to note remember exact details of their history... because they aren't expecting to need to do so.

Doesn't mean it isn't something to be noted, or he's innocent, or whatever. It does mean you can't draw a conclusion one way or another from the fact that he can't remember exact details...

2. VanityHalfBlack

Good point, as for the podcast, incredible production and musical cues, top notch stuff. Can't wait for season 2!

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Adnan likely did it... just like OJ likely did it... in one case, the justice system's flaws caused an acquittal. In the other case, the justice system's flaws didn't prevent the conviction.

Not sure which case is more "right" or which is more "wrong"... but the morality side of me says if the person who really did it is behind bars and serving time, then I'm not really as concerned as to how that came to be (hell, OJ also somehow also ended up in prison, despite the original acquittal).

I think the original goal of the podcast was to create enough doubt/suspicion that he didn't do it... but in the end, she even admits that its hard to believe he didn't do it despite all the "doubts" created.

4. VanityHalfBlack

Also remember that Hae's family migrated to the states in 1992, only being in America (Maryland of all places) for 7 yrs. Are they really her friends? Manipulation and deceit??? All of them are guilty, throw away the key!

5. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are a really weird libertarian. Do you only worry about the over reach of an oppressive state as it applies to white guys and large corporations?

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That actually makes him a normal libertarian.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

this is how think the Justics system should work that's pathetic. It's all well and good until YOU have that system up against you. I for one think people deserve more than a "Aeeeh SEEMS like he did it, I have other things to do lets get this over with".

8. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

touche

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I worry about the overreach of people who kill other people.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm way late to the party...but just finished listening to this podcast a couple of weeks ago (just started listening to podcasts generally, actually -- loving Invisibilia right now).

Holy crap this was well done. Excellent storytelling. I'm really looking forward to the next season.

EDIT: I went back through and read a lot of posts on this. I'm surprised to see that people were upset there wasn't a "conclusion." This wasn't a staged show. They're reporting on real facts regarding real life. That's almost always messy and rarely leads to conclusion. I see that play out in my law practice all the time...facts are in dispute, and even after a case is over, I don't necessarily know what the truth was...what actually happened. I find it far more interesting to dive into the messy what ifs than simply assert there's a definite, knowable truth about events that took place 15 years ago. More interesting, because it's more believable.

#110 MadMax, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Will be fun to discuss tomorrow.

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Pretty big update:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Court of Special Appeals has ruled in Adnan's favor and cancelled oral arguments. ASIA WILL TESTIFY! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/FreeAdnan?src=hash">#FreeAdnan</a>
    <a href="http://t.co/5NTHCn09Jm">http://t.co/5NTHCn09Jm</a></p>&mdash; rabia chaudry (@rabiasquared) <a href="https://twitter.com/rabiasquared/status/600342808625618946">May 18, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Season 2 is finally here.

https://serialpodcast.org/

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

This is stupid, there is no way they will have access to enough information (because of classification and because it was in a warzone)

This ****bird got some good men killed. Men whose stories will never be told.

15. AFS

AFS Member

Season 2 Episode 1 was interesting enough, and that ending definitely makes me wanna listen to what's next.

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

my entire family loved season 1. we listened on a long drive to and from Colorado.

honestly, not feeling the topic for season 2. still will listen.

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yeah, definitely disappointed with the route they took going with a high profile story like this that we already have a lot of information/opinions about. Was much more fun learning about a local story that nobody had really heard much about before. I'll still listen for sure, but less interested, now.

18. le081488

le081488 Member

Kind of hard to not see this as publicity for the movie since she's working with the director.

Still will probably listen.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Man, Sarah is just a tremendous storyteller. She does an amazing job of delivering the facts of the event she's talking about while peppering in her own questions...not everyone is capable of doing that.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

What's the update on Season 1? Meaning, any news in the kids case?

I guess he's not a kid anymore...