1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Podcasts] Serial: Season 1

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DarkHorse, Nov 3, 2014.

1. VanityHalfBlack

At first I thought this podcast was 12 episodes all being different cases. I didn't know it was about the same damn case for all 12 episodes. Does it get tiresome and boring?

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's sad that the idea of a miniseries is lost a lot of folks now a days. Now a show either has to last years to be considered a success of condensed into a movie. HBO has been great about it with True Detective.

3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not the best place to mention it, but you should check out The Honorable Woman miniseries on Netflix. It's a BBC miniseries (8 episodes) starring Maggie Gyllenhaal. It's a great spy/political thriller that hooks you from the first episode.

4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

What's illogical? I'm not saying he should have been convicted. He definitely wasn't proved innocent though. The DA's time line was wrong, but that became pointless when the podcast investigation concluded that the murder probably took place later.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You said.

Considering there are tons of innocent people locked up all the time, it's illogical imo to claim that Adnon is the unluckiest person ever.

I realize that it was hyperbole, but just pointing that out. saying something like he is the unluckiest person alive is basically saying there is so much evidence pointing out the he didn't do it, but got convicted anyway... which isn't true... it's a murky case

Whether you think he did it or not... even if you feel strongly one way or another, I think any sane person by this point would see that there is still a very real possibility that the alternative story is true (eg. he did, or didn't do it, the opposite of your strong belief).

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Oh, I think you just misunderstood me. The narrator's assistant totally thinks Adnon did it. Me too. Being unlucky refers to the fact that if he didn't do it, then he kept doing things that made him look like he did it: lying about places and times and his phone being in places and times that he can't explain. He forgets things that are explainable, but then he forgets things that are very difficult to explain. Most damning imo is that he never once called her after he was notified by the cops that she disappeared, while all her other friends did.

I'm no expert on the legal side. It does seem like his lawyer was bumbling some major stuff. And this investigation uncovered so much more than what the cops did, because it seems like cops generally want to gather evidence that supports their theory, and not stray from that. The assistant to the narrator concluded that the State's theory was wrong, but Adnon probably did the murder. I'm in that boat, that's all.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It never gets "boring" necessarily, but it is very evident that the narrator runs out of things to really talk about by the 7th or 8th episode.

Well worth the listen, and it's a very intriguing mystery, but it devolves into just a bunch of blind speculation down the stretch, which I was disappointed with.

8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

To clarify, if he didn't do it, then he kept ending up in places at the absolute wrong time. It's like the notion of being in the wrong place at the wrong time x 100. So I really think he did it or just got dealt 2-7 off 10 hands in a row. A normal wrong conviction based on mistaken identity (if there is such a normal) is when like the guy shows up to the dead body and it wasn't him, but everyone thinks it's him. I'm just picturing typical TV stuff. Anyhow, Adnon just kept doing so many stupid and unexplainable things that the only way he didn't do it was if he had some movie magic level bad luck...just my opinion based on listening to the show.

9. mtbrays

Supporting Member

I agree - I tend to think Adnan did it and his lack of any plausible alibi is concerning. That, mixed with the ungodly amounts of bad luck required for all of this to just happen to him, makes me think he is the murderer. I don't see a motive for anybody else.

However, I think that the retrial will at least be an exercise in proper criminal justice. If he's innocent, I hope that comes out. But, the state's original case rested on a man (Jay) who has changed his story so, so often, even as recently as this year in his interview with The Intercept. His tendency for self-contradiction and lying makes me believe that if that's all the state has on Adnan, Adnan shouldn't be in jail. There is "reasonable doubt" so long as the only evidence is Jay's word and Jay's word changes all of the time. Hopefully the DNA test of Hae's car will bring some answers.

10. manbearpig

manbearpig Member

It reminds me a lot of the OJ case, where we know who did it, but one or two glaring holes create that remote doubt that's enough to let the man walk.

Jay is an idiot for changing his story again. I'm assuming he didn't listen to the podcast before speaking, or he'd know that's probably the best thing Adnan has going for him.

I don't have a detailed theory, but believe Adnan definitely did this, similar to what the above two said.

Adnan got completely blindsided by Jay's confession, and the best thing he could do at this point was play it safe and play dumb. It would just be too hard to make up a story without getting called out on a hole. He'd just be digging his own grave. Plus he's gotten And Jay probably was his alibi anyway. Confessing won't help since he's already in court - it'll just shame his family.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't have a theory either, but think it's equally plausible that Adnan did it, or Jay or I think her name was Jen did it.

The alternative universe where Adnan is the one to "first" confess to being an accomplish to Jay that Jay did it, for whatever somewhat logical reason - the thing with Jay's girlfriend for example, and Jay not wanting to get caught - is completely plausible.

Or Jay did it an Adnan was high as **** and can't remember anything, and is innocent and is just noting he can't remember anything because he can't remember anything.

All of those scenarios are completely plausible.

The scenario that seems increasingly non-plausible is the one that actually got him convicted. You know, the one based off a constantly changing timeline and story by the accomplish, an alibi witness (Asia) during the prosecutions claimed time of the murder who has never been properly presented as evidence to the court, partly, apparently due to prosecutor lying to her about the case status, etc.

The one thing I feel the most sure about is the case and timeline and "facts" as presented in the trial that got Adnan convicted absolutely didn't happen the way it was presented.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don't care if Adnan did or didn't do it.

I care about the mess that is the Justice system and the idea of such a week case being able to lock someone up PERIOD. I always thought the Burden of proof was on the State but if anything the case just makes me pry I don't have to go up against something to bull headed and ignorant.

13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I think that's fair to conclude that. The system is just full of agenda pushing incompetents, and the agenda of finding the truth is missing or underrepresented.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

only a matter of time before some judge that wants to make a name for him/herself sets him free

15. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Where do you stand on his guilt, innocence and the original trial?

16. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

When did Jay change his story again? Is this something recent post podcast?

17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

18. VanityHalfBlack

I really would like to know what kind of strain that weed is, must be the Bill Cosby potent??? I've been smoking weed since forever and there has never been a time where I didn't remember or lost of memory. In fact, smoking weed helps me remember things as well as many others like:

Chronic back pain
    Depression
    Anti-Social
    Testosterone
    Happiness
    Boost effects on music pleasure
    Ejaculation
    Sleep disorder depending if it's Sativa or Indica

But never ever have I gotten so high that I forgot **** ever. I'm starting on episode 9 and at this point, it looks like Adnan clearly choked her at a car dealership and not best buy?

19. VanityHalfBlack

It was 1999 not the 1930s as some people make it out to be, lol. Never ever have I seen a pay phone at a best buy, ever. Aren't all best buy structured the same way? I usually see pay phones at a convenience store or maybe that's just a west coast thing??

20. VanityHalfBlack

So I'm heading towards episode 9, so far no interview or mentioned of the victim's family? Brothers/cousins/uncle? Then I went to wiki and she migrated to the states with her mom and brother to live with her grandparents in 1992? So basically she was still an immigrant and not fully understanding American culture yet, correct? I don't know too much about Baltimore but the Asian community out there is quite small compared to say, Houston?