1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Podcasts] Serial: Season 1

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DarkHorse, Nov 3, 2014.

1. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

But you didn't have my reindeer! you know what i'm saying?!

2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

What's Jay's motive to murder Hae and frame Adnan? Did Adnan asking if Jay bought Stephanie a gift for her birthday set him off? But why Hae? And how would Jay get Hae alone?

I don't think Jay had the motivation or intelligence to pull this off by himself. Everything would have to go right to get away (which if Adnan is innocent, it did).

So who's the other person? Jenn?

3. vstexas09

i'm kinda hazy on why don was absolved

also, the guy that killed himself in louisiana that got out on jan 1, 99 can be investigated. maybe he enlisted jay or jay was around...

4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don was confirmed to be at work due to his electronic clock-in card.

The only motive I can think of is that Hae was going to tell Stephanie that Jay was cheating on her. Stephanie was the only known connection between the two of them.

5. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

One of the theory's running around (that Adnan's defense tried to put forward during the trial) was that Jay was cheating on Stephanie with Jenn. (Jenn and Jay were definitely spending an unusually high amount of time together considering he had a girlfriend at the time)

One explanation is that Hae, also a friend of Stephanie's, knew about this and confronted Jay about it, threatening to rat him out. (possibly at a gas station when filling up gas cause there is a credit card record of her getting gas the afternoon she died) Jay got angry and the altercation escalated, etc.

Another theory is the one was kind of brought up in the last episode. That someone, not Jay, who is either a serial killer or someone higher up on the local "crime scene", think drug boss, etc., was actually the one who did it. In that scenario, Hae is just a convenient target. Maybe she approaches Adnan's car thinking it's Adnan, and just gets caught up in the wrong place at the wrong time. Jay, being a low man on the pole, had to basically clean up the mess, and he's afraid to name names because he doesn't want the serious bad people after him.

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I believe Don was at work and Hae was headed there to put a note on his car when she was killed.

Adnan is the easy target. He had a motive, no/weak alibi, and cell tower pings put his phone when he said he had it near where she was buried.

7. vstexas09

I like this theory a lot.

Like most of you I want Adnan to be innocent. However I can’t shake the gut feeling I’ve always had, he and Jay were in cahoots. Jay clearly had some involvement, and Adnans phone and car were heavily wrapped up in it. The clincher for me is that he had the best chance of gaining access to Hae’s car. So I've fit a time line to this theory (also using some dramatic licence), and since I've spent too many hours digging around and obsessing about this, I'm going to add it to the pile for what it's worth. It's something of a cleansing exercise for me; the intention now is to go back to my normal life. Obviously speculation, frustratingly I don’t think we’ll ever know. Also, you can make the call log fit almost any theory if you try hard enough. Have a go, it’s fun.

Assumptions:

• Adnan was the murderer, Jay an accomplice
    • The murder was not premeditated
    • Cell tower pings are not 100% reliable, but being routed through the closest tower has the greatest probability
    • Jay, Jenns and Adnans version of events are all completely unreliable; each player has different motives for distorting or withholding the truth
    • The murder takes place between 2.36 - 3.40
    • Jay was not at Jenns house until after the murder
    • Burial takes place between 7 - 8pm
    • I haven't tried to speculate on each call, just the ones central to this narrative

Adnan goes to school as normal on the morning of the 13th.
    At 10.45, at the start of lunch break, he calls Jays house, and tells him to get out of bed cause he's coming over

He picks Jay up and the two hang out for a couple of hours, smoke some weed and hit the mall to pick up a present for Stephanie
    Adnan discusses his feelings regarding Hae, their breakup, her new boyfriend, he becomes indignant and emotional and eventually decides to confront her to talk things out.

This needs to be in private, and feeling Hae will be unwilling to give him a hearing, Adnan leaves his car with Jay so he can get some time alone with her on the pretence of needing a lift.

Knowing this may not work, he prearranges with Jay to pick him up at the library as a fall back
    Having originally intended to skip psychology class, Adnan arrives over an hour late so that he has a chance to catch Hae afterwards.

Meanwhile, Jay cruises around the area of Woodlawn, waiting for word
    Adnan speaks with Hae after class but she refuses to give him a lift citing her busy schedule, which includes picking up her cousin, an appointment at Randlestown followed by a work shift.

And before all that she needs to run an errand to Best Buy
    Frustrated and unsuccessful, Adnan calls Jay at 2.36 "Hey it's me, come get me" "Ok I'll be there in 5" "Cool"

After being spurned by Hae, Adnan is feeling increasingly desperate and decides to intercept her at Best Buy. The two drive over there, spot her car and wait for her to show up

Eventually she returns, and is angry to see Adnan waiting. To get him off her back she agrees to give him five minutes. The two get into her car and Jay waits in Adnans car alongside, killing time with his phone

A heated discussion turns into a full blown argument and in a fit of rage Adnan strangles Hae

After a while Jay realises something is not right and checks it out, he finds a panicked and frenzied Adnan... "what the **** did you do?!". Andan pleads for Jay to help him move the body to the trunk, and in a spur of the moment decision, Jay agrees and becomes an accomplice

Adnan is immobile with shock, not knowing what to do, Jay calls Phil and Patrick, two members of the "criminal element" who he believes can offer some candid advice

Snapping back to reality, the two quickly agree they should get rid of the body in the infamous Leakin Park, but not during daylight so for the time being they plan to stash the car at the Park n Ride and return after dark. In the mean time they need to go about their days as usual

Right now it’s important to have alibis, so on the way to leave Adnan at track, Jay calls Jenn's house to make sure she's home so he can hang out there for a couple of hours

At Jenns, Jay is clearly out of sorts, and is anxiously waiting for a phone call from Adnan

Adnan calls after track and Jay picks him up and they drive around for a while, planning their next move. They decide to bury the body that night after mosque, and stop by Home Depot to pick up some equipment

Once their plan is in place; they decide to call to Cathy's for a further alibi. Smoking weed has the opposite of the intended calming effect and the two's behaviour is notably strange. While there Adnan gets a call from the police enquiring after Hae. Jay and Adnan are spooked and promptly leave to discuss

Rattled by the call they decide they must get rid of the body straight away. Adnan is worried about showing up late for prayers and arousing suspicion, so he calls Yasser to cover for him

Thinking ahead for Jays alibi, they call Jenn to arrange a pick up at Westview Mall, but to sit tight until she gets a page

After the burial, they ditch Haes car on Edondson avenue, page Jenn and drive in the direction of the Mosque stopping at Westview on the way

Adnan leaves the equipment with Jay to dispose of and they part ways

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

only through episode 7, but my guess is the reason Jay's story doesn't add up is he was more of an accomplice than he wants to admit

he and Adnan were both complicit, and he ratted out Adnan first, but he had to change around the parts of the story that implicated him, which is why some things are wrong and some things are right

9. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I died when it got to the "WHAAAAAAAAAT???" part.

10. vstexas09

don't know if many ppl are keeping up with adnan's story, but he has been granted leave to appeal on grounds of ineffective assistance of counsel...

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

12. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty crazy. Not sure that Adnan is innocent, but I think he definitely deserves an appeal.

13. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Interesting - thanks for posting. I had stopped keeping up with it. Please do post other developments.

The truth is pretty much not recoverable in this story, but at least someone who hasn't been convincingly proven guilty, thus wrongly convicted, has a chance to leave prison

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

he seemed very guilty to me

the jailhouse interviews and Jay's interviews only made that more convincing

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I do think he got terrible representation (bc she the lawyer was dying and distracted or whatever), but I tend to agree with the narrator's assistant who said if Adnon didn't do it, then he's the unluckiest person ever. He probably shouldn't have been convicted though, but I still think he did it. Interesting stuff to followup on.

16. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

That's an opinion and I somewhat share it, but that doesn't mean they had enough evidence for a conviction. That's what the podcast has been about. He's innocent because he hasn't been proven guilty, even if he is actually guilty.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

That's illogical. Plenty of convicted murderers are proved innocent later. We see this regularly now. And it's usually with people of non-Caucasian race.

So it'd be more "another one proved innocent" then some kind of crazy bad luck.

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i listened to most of them a while back. regardless of what happens. i really hope that guy did not kill that girl. 99% chance you will never know the real truth though.

19. manbearpig

manbearpig Member

This is a pretty big, looks like he has a shot at getting out. Court date set for June.

I think he killed her, just cause there's no other reasonable story. But maybe if he gets out he writes "if i did it".

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-adnan-syed-appeal-granted-20150207-story.html

20. VanityHalfBlack

High School romance is some hard dose of reality.