1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Podcasts] Serial: Season 1

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DarkHorse, Nov 3, 2014.

1. yo

yo Contributing Member

I admit that I enjoy the podcast, but I'm also very irked by how satisfied Koenig seems about herself. From the beginning, I just sensed she cared more about how this podcast might launch her career than about justice. This was all confirmed on Colbert the other night:
    "What is the benefit of doing this?"
    "Well, I'm here, aren't I?"

This is real. Real families, real hurt... I hope she realizes that this series is at least a little exploitative, and she should probably fork over a nice chunk of royalties to Adnan and Hae's family. (Anyone else wondering how they have the nerve to ask for money? I know it's NPR, but they are also the #1 podcast in the world. Do they have some staunch stance on sponsors or something?)

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Hoping to start on this soon. Heard some really good things about this!

3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

only thru about 3 episodes but i have hard time believing anything Adnaan says

4. what

what Member

I think she already had a career, she is pretty well known. However, her writing is Truman Capote-level and that's why it is so popular. In fact, couldn't you level the same claim on him for In Cold Blood, as you do on her. Certainly In Cold Blood launched Capote.

5. body slam

body slam Member

So I listened to episode 1 this morning and now episode 2 will not play.

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I burned through six episodes today. Will try and get some in tonight. The first few were good listens.

7. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

And just in time for the finale.

<iframe src="http://www.funnyordie.com/embed/6ab2d45a77" width="640" height="400" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen></iframe><div style="text-align:left;font-size:x-small;margin-top:0;width:640px;"><a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/6ab2d45a77/the-last-episode-of-serial" title="from Funny Or Die, Michaela Watkins, lauren, Kevin Berntson, Travis Helwig, Nicol Paone, Sean Dacanay, Alex Richanbach, Jason Carden, Matt Sweeney, BoTown Sound, and Chris Poole">The Last Episode Of Serial</a> from <a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/funnyordie">Funny Or Die</a> <iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?app_id=138711277798&amp;href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.funnyordie.com%2Fvideos%2F6ab2d45a77%2Fthe-last-episode-of-serial&amp;send=false&amp;layout=button_count&amp;width=150&amp;show_faces=false&amp;action=like&amp;height=21" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border:none; overflow:hidden; width:90px; height:21px; vertical-align:middle;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>
    </div>

1 person likes this.
  8. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

^ Hah! Nicely done. Probably not too different from tomorrow's episode

9. ReverseBjorn

ReverseBjorn Member

I have a feeling I will be disappointed later tonight. Will be refreshing the link after midnight tonight

10. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Castle S06E07- similar but much lighter fictional story with a decently satisfying end
    And it's only 43 minutes long

Edit: actually I forgot how entertaining this episode is. Worth the watch

#50 srrm, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I'm through episode 5. My wife is a ID (Investigation Discovery) nut so this is right up our alley.

So far I think...

Adnan looks like he did it. The cellphone tower bing near the park in between 6 pm - 7 pm is the damning evidence bc Adnan should have had the phone with him at the time.

BUT I also think that Jay has a lot to do with the burial hence the lying. He avoided prison time by throwing Adnan under the bus bc he could have gotten a life sentence too, imo.

Let's see if that changes.

12. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Yeah...
    We could see what direction this podcast was going in from a couple of weeks back.

Hopefully the more trained U Maryland Innocence Project can continue to find enlightening breaks. Serial killer?
    Would be a satisfying end to the story.

13. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Finale came out this morning.
    what was the point of this podcast? Such a waste of time. And NOTHING about this shady Mr S. Why waste valuable podcast time with some random friend that adds nothing to the resolution? Meh. /kneejerk

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I tend to agree. It was entertaining throughout, but it quickly devolved into a bunch of blind speculation based off of nothing but endlessly contradictory information. Every episode just made things more confusing and unclear because of how unreliable some of the individuals and evidence were, but shoot...maybe that was the point all along...

15. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

i think the point of the podcast is to shed a light on a story that was overlooked and to question why someone was convicted when there was so much uncertainty.

16. 713

713 Member

thanks obama

17. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/181980827&amp;color=ff5500&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false"></iframe>

18. yo

yo Contributing Member

She may have questioned the conviction in this particular case, but this was an opportunity to question the entire justice system and take a step toward systemic change, which she did not really do. I think she was more concerned about her product - telling a story with many twists and turns and keeping the audience gripped and addicted. She did a damn good job of that. Adnan and Hae's destroyed families watched the entire world gleefully await the next episode for dinner table discussion, while Koenig went on Colbert and congratulated herself.

#58 yo, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Vsd5YWXGDto?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Man, that SNL sketch was perfect. Impressions were dead on and had me cracking up the whole way through.