1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Podcast: Rockets Draft, Omer Asik, Eric Gordon and Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Bima, I agree with you on the S&T Gordon thing. I was really holding out hope the Rockets could work something out there that would be beneficial to both teams. The Hornets matched and now it will be awkward for Gordon to return. I guess we can revisit on Dec 15th? ;-)

2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Great podcast. Lots of good info. Might need to add Carl in there next time as the Wild Card.

3. clos4life

clos4life Member

I always enjoy hearing what Bima has to say. Very insightful.

4. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Wondering if the Lakers still go after Dwight Howard now that they have Nash and could probably sign Hill.

I mean, Nash, Kobe, Hill, Gasol and Bynum, Peace, Blake & fillers isn't good enough? (maybe I should've put Blake in the fillers sections)

5. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Am I the only one scared that we are going to "facilitate" the Orlando/Lakers deal with us ending up with Gasol with Scola going to LA and some of our youngsters heading to Orlando? I just don't see us being good enough before the wheels fall off of the Gasol train to take the chance on him nor do I see people lining up to play with him.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Woah - just seeing this - it was not a backhanded comment at all, I love the cap analysis you do here.

And the "Sometimes" bit was only because to me it seems most of your posts are about the cap, and not about basketball on the floor - but when you do, you do a good job talking about that too.

As for us not getting along - I am well past that - sorry if it caused you any grief - you have my utmost respect here, not that you need it....lol.

Anyway - I am depressed today - my team is crumbling under a guy who doesn't understand how to build a roster - and it is making our team worse .....just sad.

DD

7. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

If our strategy is to try to bring Lowry back into the fold and then play...

Asik/Donuts
    Donuts/T Jones/White
    Parsons/Morris/White
    Lamb/Someone
    Lowry/Livingston

And get a great pick next year, then I am all for it. Trade Patterson, Scola and Martin.

8. Margrave

Margrave Member

We need a new podcast that helps us fans understand what the Rockets are thinking - right now this offseason is possibly the worst of all time.

9. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Not really. Last year was worse. It was a very dramatic time with the veto and the signing of Sammy D. We didnt have any direction. Atleast now wedo.

10. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen
    Maybe, but that's what they're trying to do. RT @tombrokeoff: @Jonathan_Feigen thats ridiculous
    FavoritedFavorite 7m Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen
    That and anything else they want. RT @accfanto: @Jonathan_Feigen So is the TOR pick now officials part of the Dwight package?

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yep, new podcast needed. Of course lately you could do a podcast every day and it would be outdated by the end of the day.

12. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

Dd and Carl herrera! Dd n ch!

13. radcan61

radcan61 Contributing Member

Look at the cap space thats freed up with all the young contracts and two vets could be a good summer next year, whos a free agent next summer.-

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Doesn't matter. No one wants to play here, right?

Ha, anyhow, possibly headlining the class are Chris Paul and Dwight Howard.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Maybe Morey is trying to force everybody to match restricted free agent offers with backloaded contracts so superstars can't go anywhere else. lol.

Seriously, though, I don't follow capology or team salaries much and have only been skimming threads for the most part, but what are the odds the Rockets could be the 3rd team in a Lakers/Magic swap of big men? Is there any way Orlando gets remotely equal value or something worthwhile if we somehow get Bynum and the Lakers get Howard? Is that even possible?

I have a weird feeling about something going down unless we're just going to gut the team now to start rebuilding.

16. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If the Lakers and Magic are dead-set on doing a Dwight Howard trade (i.e., they're going to do it one way or another), I'm sure the Rockets would be interested in getting Gasol out of the swap. Of course, this would require the Lakers to be trading away BOTH Gasol and Bynum for Howard +[X]. Rockets could send Scola to the Lakers and young players to Orlando. It would probably make sense for all teams involved.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I really think the Lakers are out. They've got Nash to play out the string for 3 years with Kobe. In 3 years, both guys will likely retire. I see them keeping Bynum and letting him continue to grow and possibly moving Gasol in another year or two if they can't get to the promised land again. When I think about Nash serving up ice cream cones to everybody out there, I see no need for them to do anything else. Why risk it? Nash alone is going to send Kobe and Gasol's offensive efficiency through the roof. They are going to be very tough to deal with. I think they are the favorites to come out of the West barring major injury even if they don't make another move. I don't see OKC being able to deal with them once Nash gets the ball and starts dishing. They'll get Hill and they'll continue to tweak the roster. Imagine Hill and Anthony Randolph added to their starters. I think they're through with Dwight.

And I just don't see Morey being willing to facilitate building another 10-year dynasty in LA by helping Dwight get to the Lakers.

In my opinion, the only other possible suitor for Dwight right now besides us would possibly be the Clippers. They fit everything Dwight wants. He could be in a major market, get a chance to establish a legacy, he's got his young PG to team with for a decade, and them two plus other pieces are automatic championship contenders. However, it doesn't appear that the Clippers are showing any interest. So, for the moment I see the Rox and Orlando competing for Dwight.

The problem Orlando has is they know Dwight is going to walk. Because of the difference in the shoe deal he can get in LA or NY vs. Orlando, he's gonna walk even if it means losing the extra $57 million he gets for signing to birds rights contracts. So, they know they gotta trade him. And Morey is the only one willing to take the chance of trading for him uncommitted.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I guess Gasol at 32 won't cut it IMHO, it's either Bynum or nothing...... Sessions would be gap filler

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Does it still make sense for Houston, though? The original Gasol idea was for the Rockets to add him to a team what would have Nene, Lowry, Chuck Hayes, Courntey Lee, Budinger, etc.

Now who will Gasol play with? A disgruntled Kevin Martin, possibly Asik and leftovers from the young players that the Rockets didn't send to Orlando? I still like Gasol's talent but give that the Rockets already lost out on Dragic and traded Lowry and Budinger, I would not pay much to add Gasol since you'll obviously still need the other players and assets to either step up to fill rotation minutes or to trade for help.

1 person likes this.
  20. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Is a Rockets/Howard deal still possible with the current roster? How can we match salaries, especially if we're required to take back a contract like Hedo or Richardson?