1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Podcast] Morey on 610 today: talking Lin, free agency & expectations for next year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, May 8, 2013.

1. hoplite

hoplite Member

You bring up an interesting point. I can see LA wanting to deal Gasol, because of their cap situation and the value he could net them; however, how do you think Morey values Granger? He's set to make $14M+ this year and then is an UFA (per roto), and he turns 30 this year. So, does Morey value him as a player coming off a surgery who can contribute at the 4 spot in a small-ball lineup, or as an expiring contract who can contribute but won't make us a contender?

I'm intrigued with the Granger option, as I think it is a possibility. I just don't see how he makes us contenders.

2. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Old Man Rock, I agree with most of your reading of what Darryl Morey said except for a couple of points...

1) Just because he said the PF situation will likely be resolved by developing one of our young players does not mean he thinks Dwight will not leave the Lakers, he prob think Dwight is a center.

2) Likely to go Free Agency to upgrade the team doesn't just mean he going after smith, milsap, and west. Remember Dwight and CP3 are free agents too! In fact, he said all star or just a 1 year contract... I think that cancels out Milsap and Granger.

To sum up, I have heard it from Morey many times before. He wants to go for the big fish max contract all stars, if he can't get them, he will NOT fill the roster with less than all star talent because he wants to keep the cap room to chase whenever the opportunity arises. I think this means no players like Milsap or Granger or any other mid to high level players with potential.

3. Karolik

Karolik Member

The 610 guy was all over Beverley and how he felt that Beverley had outperformed Lin. His questions about Lin seemed to run on that basis. Morey ignored that, and just talked about Lin in a politically correct manner. He didn't seem very adamant about it either.

I don't think Beverley is going to take the starting job, but I don't think its a coincidence McHale told Beverley he needs to be ready for some "heavy minutes". We could see Lin traded before the summer is over.

4. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Morey loves Trob, but I don't know if hes hoping/expecting big things from him or if he's hoping/expecting Trob will net us bigger fish.

Hoping its the former, I'm (blindly?) Expecting Trob to make a huge jump next year.

5. jvu

jvu Member

the whole wins/shared situation could in fact boosts lin's value for a trade. Great GMs always talked highly of players who have trade value... but than again he did chuckle and laugh at the whole royce white situation..

6. Razsan

Razsan Member

Outplayed which Lin? They playoff version, yes. The regular season version no. For all the rah-rah on Beverly he averaged 11.8 points 2.8 assists, 1.2 steals and 5.5 RPG when given the chance to start. How is that better than Lin? He also showed that his hyper-aggressive defensive style was used against him with ball fakes leaving shooters wide open.

7. RoxOn RoxOff

RoxOn RoxOff Member

This off-season is going to be trollicious with no games played, no player interviews, and just endless speculation and trolling.

8. Jenopogi

Jenopogi Contributing Member

Sad to see Lin traded again. He will then be a marketable NBA journeyman until his stocks plummet.

He goes to a team, starting the year with a team being relegated not even as pretenders, teams makes into playoffs, Lin disappears in Playoffs, Lin moved to new team, previous team got better the season he left - Repeat.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I wonder if any good FA will be willing to sign a 1 year contract for huge money (say $16M).

OMR brought up Granger. He might be more likely than Gasol. Lakers would want talent back for Pau but I wonder if Indy would be willing to dump his salary for little in return given his uncertain health and their own salary situation.

10. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

No Karolik, I think your dreaming. The 610 guy mentioned Clutchfans specifically and may have been sucked in by all stupin LOHs here or is a LOH himself.

What I got from what Morey said is he thinks Lin had a GREAT season and is one of our top three players.

So I don't think they are thinking of trading him (but you never know) and I don't think they will start Beverley over him.

WAKE UP!

11. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Lol. The season is 5 months away.

Mogey doesn't gain anything by clowning Lin on national radio or saying he might not be a good fit next to Harden, he might not have a skillset good enough for competitive basketball (regular season in D'Antonio's system... cmon), etc. He doesn't know how things play out so might as well keep his trade and public value as high as possible.

What we DO KNOW, is this offseason is about -

Howard
    Paul
    Bynum
    Cousins

Signing Smith and playing him as a stretch 4 is a possibility, but a very gay one.

If Mogey wants to earn his paycheck, he needs to make Lin, Asik etc. seem like demiGods in case of a sign and trade.

Why would you think he's not playing the game, when 29 other GM's are?

Regulated.

12. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Allen Iverson LOLOLOL

13. RoxOn RoxOff

RoxOn RoxOff Member

Only if the $16mm is space ages above his market value. If you can get $12mm per year for 4 years, you take the $48mm over the $16mm single year any day.

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

[​IMG]

15. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Morey doesnt use public stats. There's also this NBA gambler who stated publicly on BS Report that him and his team tend to ignore public stats since they are rather misleading(useless).

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Bynum could have been who Morey had in mind or possibly Al Jefferson on a max one year deal too. Or like so many players Morey acquires, it's someone completely out of left field. Big Al could be more palatable for the front office knowing that they would have to give up assets to get Gasol instead.

17. Zergling

Zergling Member

Morey's obviously showcasing Lin for a future trade. Haha he doesn't even care about being statistically accurate anymore. Harden, Asik, and Parsons produced more wins than him! There's a reason PG/PF are our biggest weaknesses.

18. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Probably not all that different, biggest factor was probably that he used the qualifier "who had 9 pick and rolls per game" and that probably moved Lin up to 5th.

19. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Interesting how Morey doesn't use public stats.

So where did he get those stats about Lin?

He could just make any private stat up to build him up!

Does anyone seriously think Morey sounded like he was building Lin up to be traded?... C'mon. Listen again...

20. Akim523

Akim523 Member

You have no idea bro. Like that gambler guy(sorry I forgot his name) brought something like points produced per assist which includes passes that lead to fouls, something like that, something your average neighbour Joe wouldnt have thought about.