1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Podcast] Morey on 610 today: talking Lin, free agency & expectations for next year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, May 8, 2013.

1. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

I know people hate on Lin.. but he did have some nice games this year. I expect to be better next season with more confidence.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Probably a little of both, but I do remember hearing Morey talking about Lin's turnovers and assists. Lin's turnovers were generally less hurtful than most players because they tended to be charges or passes that didn't lead to easy transition for opponents. On the flip side, Lin gets very few assists from guys making low percentage shots. Lin's assists tended to be on high percentage shots he created.

3. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Given the close relationship between Morey and Kevin Pelton, I suspect he's using something similar to Kevin's WARP number to calculate wins produced.

WARP is not a per game stat, so Lin playing all 82 games helps his WARP value(which is reasonable if you want to evaluate true overall value added).

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks for this. And DM the GM, thanks for being willing to take LBJ even with Parsons aboard!

5. Karolik

Karolik Member

Sounded like he was being politically correct to me. No emotion whatsoever, and completed avoided the Patrick Beverly issue.

6. Tonnny

Tonnny Member

If people just look at a stat of 13 and 6 for a rookie PG with low usage rate, they would think, " wow, this kid got good potential and bright future!"

But they think the opposite knowing it's Lin's stat.

1 person likes this.
  7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Didn't know Beverley had any "issues."

If your talking about whether he's going to leapfrog Lin and get the starting job, its not going to happen. Morey was only re-affirming their thoughts of Lin.

8. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

Royce White?

DM: HAHA, that's something I can't talk about.

9. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

There is no beverly issues except in the minds of people desperate to see Lin fail and relegated to the bench scrub they think he already is.

1 person likes this.
  10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Says the person who joined the site after Lin came to the team. ;)

I hated on Lin in my post, but not because I actually have a huge problem with him. He just needs to quit overthinking the game, and to quit deferring so much to James "I'm the Star, Give me the Ball" Harden.

But we might have been onto something with Beverly-Lin-Harden-Parsons-Asik lineups. Lin got hurt before we could see where it might lead us.

11. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Who the hell is this Morey guy!!!

He says Lin had a great year and is responsible for the 3rd most wins behind Harden and Asik! What happened to Parsons? He's way better than Lin.

And where does he get his stats from? Lin is the 5th best player in the league at PnR?!!! pfff!!!

THIS GUY IS THE BIGGEST LOF!!! Pulling stats out of his a** to say how great Lin is!

TRADE MOREY!
    BEVERLEY > LIN

We need a new GM he can't see the value of players from his A**.

of course, I'm joking.

luv ya DM!

keep up the good work!

i trust your judgment!

12. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

Sure, I followed Lin here, big deal. Doesn't change anything. I think Beverely is great for 20 minutes, not convinced he's productive offensively or defensively beyond that. And I'm not just saying that because he might take Lin's minutes.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Morey admits that this team will remain mediocre without additional talent. Only 3 to 5 wins expected and only if they stay exceptionally healthy as they did. He says the modest improvement may well get canceled by injuries.

The whole "we have hope we so young" thing is a sham-mockery.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Why the hell would Morey give a care about that enough to comment about it on the radio? The last thing Morey should care about is the endless drama on Clutchfans about this topic.

Lin is the better player right now, and is the starter. Beverley was a great pickup from overseas, and played a key role late in the season. As good as he was, he's not the starter moving forward, and anyone that has half a brain knows this.

Maybe Beverley takes a huge leap forward this Summer and develops into a player that McHale is forced to play more minutes than Lin, and even then in that dream scenario(assuming Beverley is playing at an all-star level), you still have a major weapon coming off the bench in Jeremy Lin. Tell me how unimportant Jarrett Jack and Manu Ginobilli were to their teams this year?

Whether he starts or comes off the bench is irrelevant. He's still going to be an impact player regardless.

So there is no issue Im aware of other than the fact that fans are WAY too sensative about Jeremy Lin losing minutes. Its like the husband whose so paranoid about his wife cheating that it makes her cheat just in spite. Just leave it alone. Its not an issue.

1 person likes this.
  15. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Exactly, he talked more about him by
    saying nothing of him!....:eek:

16. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I found the trade talk interesting.

Said he's searching for that additional piece this year and doesn't care at what position because you can't pass on the opportunity.

DWIGHT HOWARD OR CHRIS PAUL anyone?

In the event he cant get that additional piece, he's looking for one year contracts and have a go next year.

PAU GASOL anyone?

17. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

The Rockets brass love Lin more than our fans. He did shoot 44% FG almost similar to Harden's 43%. I think last year, the NBA refs gave him the benefit of a doubt. He was scoring at will at the FT line, but when he started sharing time with Melo (or Harden), he wasn't as aggressive. Unless Parsons has a bad breakup, I don't see Lin going anywhere.

18. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Wow Morey just said a lot if you just listened between his words.

On Jeremy Lin: He is our 3rd best player behind Harden and Omer. So forget about Beverly starting ahead of him or Lin being traded.

On Royce White: Can't talk about him because we're trying to figure a way to dump him as quickly as possible. He is absolutely history and we will trade assets and pay cash for someone to take him off our books if it comes down to needing space. But I can't talk about that.

On upgrading the PF spot: Most likely going to come from one of our Young PF's but that's because I don't see Josh Smith or Dwight Howard leaving their teams.

On Upgrading the team in general: We will definitely would like to add another all star player but that could come from one of our young players stepping up. (Thomas Robinson turning into an all star or free agency or trade. We don't care what position that is at for example if Lebron was available we would sign and figure how to work him later. In realistic possibilities we would trade for Danny Granger (Lebron Reference) if the price is right and play more small ball to fit him in. On less realistic possibilities we would add Howard or CP3 in a sec and figure how to work them in later.

On which direction they will go to upgrade the team. Most likely Free agency signing Josh SMith, maybe Milsap or west but we could also trade for Gasol or Danny Granger.

On whether they will do something this year or next free agency: We prefer to sign an all star this year but if not we are not opposed to signing David West or trading for Gasol for a one year rental and then going back next year to search for our long term free agnt solution.

To summarize it he said they want to add an all star and most likely that will happen through free agency. The position doesn't matter they are more interested in signing the best all star available which makes them more opportunistic. If they can't get a free agent All Star then they will look at trade possibilities like Gasol and Danny Granger. If they can't get an All Star that way then they could just go with a 1 year rental of someone like David West or Pau Gasol and be ready for any trade opportunities coming through the season and also wait and see if another all star develops from one of their young guys.

19. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Obviously Houston will go after Dwight.

Dwight is coming to Houston for two weeks this summer iirc to work with Olajuwon, and like in 2010 i'm sure the Rockets will ask Olajuwon to recruit him.

Also maybe Morey is tired cause he it seems some of his numbers were off. Harden is the guy who is 5th as the PnR handler.
    Lin maybe 3rd in wins produced but I would of figured Parsons/Harden, not Asik would be the ones above him because they are the only ones to play more minutes.

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

What I got from Daryl's comments on free agency..

Daryl said "we're going have the cap room...we going to VERY LIKELY be able to add a player that will help in a BIG WAY". Immediately after that, he said "our goal is to push this thing to the 50 win range...barring a MAJOR MOVE that would push us into a WHOLE DIFFERENT CATEGORY where we are back to being a contender".

A "major move" that would put in a "whole different category" could only be defined as Howard or Paul....and Morey sees that as unlikely. Obvious, I know, but still important.

His use of "very likely" (to add a free agent) was telling. He plans on using that cap space THIS summer. He believes that our added experience, plus this unnamed player, gets us north of 50 wins. IMO, this points to Josh Smith.