1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Podcast] Howard on the clock, Lin/Asik on the block?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 3, 2013.

1. landryfans

landryfans Member

Pistons Continue Pursuit Of Athleticism In Free Agency
    July 2, 2013 11:48 AM
    By Ashley Dunkak
    @AshleyDunkak
    DETROIT (CBS DETROIT) – Rumored to be interested in Josh Smith of the Atlanta Hawks as well as Jeremy Lin of the Houston Rockets and Andre Iguodala of the Denver Nuggets — the Pistons are pursuing more athleticism just as Detroit Pistons President of Basketball Operations Joe Dumars said they would.

[​IMG]

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I want J-Smoove. IF that means D12.

I do not want Smith without DHoHo.

3. landryfans

landryfans Member

My guess is Piston wants Lin by offering Calderon, not another way around.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It would be great to get D12.

It is great to have DH1 running this show - - Thanks, Clutch!

5. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Agreed. Lin didn't need to be there. But it may have helped.. or not. However, I do remember Howard and Lin in China together laughing it up, with Lin's moms calling Howard her son, and Dwight saying "Mama Lin, that would make me Dwight Lin." (paraphrasing from memory.) And this was years ago. Anyways, Harden should be there. Parsons cuz he's putting in work trying to recruit Dwight, and Jeremy was not quite necessary. Not a biggie or a sign of things except that Morey & crew don't think much of Lin.

6. mayo98

mayo98 Member

7. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

Detroit pursuing athleticism and they are interested in Jlin.

Athleticism plus court vision....qualities of a good point guard.

8. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Everybody got it all wrong. The reason the Rockets is talking to Josh Smith is "IN CASE" they didn't get Howard. They're NOT looking to dump Asik + Lin...are you kidding me? Smith offensive shooting skills is horrendous and doesn't fit the offense that the Rockets employed. Rockets need someone that spread the floor and make shots...YES even PF need to shoot from 3...(see Patrick Patterson). The whole point of the offense is to spread the floor for Harden and Lin to attack....except the Center position. Howard can get easy dunks all game long. If Smith can't shoot, his man is just going to leave him open and double Howard all game long. He is NOT the type of player that the Rockets want. LaMarcus Adridge is the perfect player for this type of offense.

Theoretically, it's possible to see Rockets gamble on Josh Smith but they're not going to trade Lin simply because this team need a QB and it won't work without a QB general that can see the floor and pass. This type of offense won't work without Lin pushing the ball and doing crazy hail Mary passes. You can give the ball to Harden every time...but eventually he will be honed down and that can be a problem as demonstrated last year. Going too much to Harden result in excessive turnovers.

9. hbomb

hbomb Member

"Dwight is excited to play with Jeremy and Omer"

I don't believe.

Man, just hurry up Dwight haha.

Been reading too much DH/Lin/Asik/Rockets in general the past week.

10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

If we gotta give up Asik to have the priveledge of paying JSmith 13M +/-...... screw that!

Howabout Asik, JLin, choice of TJones or DMo, + 2 2nd rd pix (from port) + 2 euro player rights we got from Portland (TRob deal) + future first rd.... for LMA! If we're gonna go all in - let's do it!

a starting lineup of Bev, Harden, Parsons, LMA, and D12 is championship material....

11. BornTexan

BornTexan Rookie

You'll soon be disappointed. DW running the show? Give me a break.

12. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Can we just sign DH and chill??? Get quality bench after..

13. kianainhi

kianainhi Member

Someone mentioned on another site that she attended the last game of the season, Lakers vs Rockets. After the game, Dwight & Lin was chatting and laughing a lot.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Uh, you know who the #1 guy is, yes? DH. Or did you uh, Clutch?

15. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

I don't understand why Howard even need a third star. I thought if Howard sign with us, we would become serious championship contender even with our current key players, but if a max third star is what Howard wants Rockets to get, I guess we can do it for him...but in my opinon, I think he didn't understand more about our growth of players in Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik.

Hope he realizes soon.

16. recboil

recboil Member

point well made

17. munco

munco Member

I'm a Lin supporter, but Beverley was playing over him in a number of games last year and is way cheaper. McHale* is fine with Bev** being our QB evidenced by the games last year. We're trying to get Smith and DHoward. Morey's been on record saying you need superstars to win.

*McHale is a terrible coach
    **Bev is awesome and should get minutes though

18. JasonXXX

JasonXXX Member

19. Pragmatician

Pragmatician Member

If Isaiah Canaan Tears It Up in SL.... I say dump Lin for peanuts and start Canaan at PG.

Anybody agree that Canaan should be the guy going into the season if he shows it in SL/Preseason?

The endgame with Lin is simply getting rid of his bloated contract. I'm not saying trade him for a 2nd Round pick, but if we get offered a Jason Thompson-type player (young, talented, and pennies on the dollar), we better take it.

20. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

5 mill this year isn't bloated. Next year is the poison pill year where it jumps.
    You want Canaan to be the guy if he plays well vs summer league teams where maybe 1-2 guys who make the roster much less the rotation? If Canaan was nba starter material he wouldnt have dropped that low.

Monteijunas was dropping 16 points ,8 boards on 62% shooting in summer league last year, you think he should've started at PF??

Your first and last sentences are contradictory. YOu said if Canaan does well dump Lin for peanuts and at the end you say only for a young, talented, cheap talent, like a Jason Thompson type player. THat in itself doesnt make sense cause the dude is in the middle of a 30 million dollar contract!