1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Podcast] Howard on the clock, Lin/Asik on the block?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

100% behind this and moving Lin to Detroit might be the way to do it. You could give ATL picks plus DMo or Jones.

The lakers when they had Gasol, Bynum and Odom would give teams fits with their length and defense. They seemed to suck up every board and points in the paint against them seemed a joke.

Howard, Asik, and Smith could have that type of impact. Always a rested defensive anchor or two ready to swat shots and clean the glass. Oh and Harden and Parsons are still here as well.

Yes please.

2. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

The problem is the Hawks dont need Jeremy Lin's position. They are gonna want Asik. Lin is about as good as Teague so why take him and his salary on?

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

One reason could be that somebody might overpay Teague and they lose him. But I agree that Asik is what I'd ask for if I were ATL.

The final price will depend in how realistically Smith can convince ATL that he's leave for, say, Detroit if they don't trade him to HOU.

4. basketballholic

No doubt Hawks want Asik. But Smith has all the leverage because he can walk to Detroit (and probably other places). So, perhaps a compromise could be reached using GSmith as the young talent ATL gets for doing a sign-and-trade with Jeremy going elsewhere.

5. thedude077

thedude077 Member

6. Palmray

Palmray Contributing Member

thank you. just what I think. - I always and still believe that Smith is not a guy that can win. I rather have two superstars and formidable roleplayers than to add another superstar(?) as some believe Smith is. To have three superstars makes the whole machine a very fragile one in my opinion. Too many cooks spoil the broth. If we want to develop Harden into the leader, that I think he is capable to become, I think too many superstars just slow down that evolution. I rather prefer to have Asik as a sidepower or backup to Dwight (also knowing his injuries in the past) and add another more unselfish player than Smith is, I guess that would work better.

1 person likes this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yes, thank you.

The idea is not to send Lin to Atlanta, but to send him somewhere else (like Detroit, which as expressed interest in him). We are talking a THREE TEAM trade, not just Houston and Atlanta.

8. JamesHarden

JamesHarden Member

9. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

It was very polite of you to say "please".

10. Stew015

Stew015 Contributing Member

I'm just curious because I want these podcasts to be as good as they can for you guys. What exactly was said that you felt lacked insight?

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I would be fine with these contracts for Smith:

$42m over 3 years
    or
    $48m over 4 years
    or
    $58m over 4 years with the 4th year including a favorable buyout option for Rockets

Smith should never ever be making more than Harden. Is that an absurd thing to say to Josh Smith and his agent? That you don't want to pay them more than James Harden who makes $13.6m?

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He will be more concerned with what the other teams are willing to pay him (and there a lot of stupid teams out there), not necessarily what Harden is making on the Rockets.

13. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

Smith rejected the Hawks offer of 3 yrs $45M before the start of the '13 season. His agent says he's looking for 5 yrs $80-85M. None of those offers would interest Smith.

14. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I dont want smith anywhere near this team unless he stops shooting those long rangers that fail to do anything but lead to a long rebound and fast break for the other side. His ahleticism is off the charts and he honestly is a great fit for the current system, but hes gotta turn down that green light.

I would take him for $15m tbh if i really had to. I dont see another pf in the nba who is a better fit for us.

15. ball4life66

ball4life66 Member

Uhh pretty sure Josh doesn't hate Atlanta...they offered him a 3 year contract and he wanted longer...he also wouldn't take less money to go to Houston...I feel like he will go who ever offers the best contact.

16. ball4life66

ball4life66 Member

Agreed that no way the Hawks would want Lin. They already have Teague who is better than Lin and drafted Schroeder who looks like he could be a big time PG but who knows.

17. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

Indeed. Hawks offered 3 yrs $45M extension, Smith wanted 5 yrs $85M.

18. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Thanks for the podcast guys. I think it's got potential. The production quality and even the flow (preparedness) of the show is top rate. I think the more you do these, and the the more you make worthwhile commentary, the more you will be respected and gain notoriety.

That brings me to the content...

Overall, I thought it was good informed commentary that was presented intelligently and concisely.

The weakest part for me (and honestly a little cringe worthy) was your speculation that Lin would be traded because he wasn't at the Dwight meeting.

He wasn't at the Dwight meeting because...
    - Harden lives in LA and Parsons is Dwight's long time friend from Orlando and were the obvious choices for recruiting
    - Chris Paul's meeting was only cancelled the day before
    - He lives in San Francisco not LA and although they are kind of close, you don't expect him to suddenly come for a major pitch without being prepped.

This part sounded like wild speculation similar to kids on YouTube.

The other weak link was your cap speculation. Seemed like you really missed Bima here. You didn't give the salary numbers for Josh Smith, and you incorrectly stated that Lin and Asik would have to be moved.

Just my 2 cents.

Anyways, overall a good effort and I think an improvement on last time. I like the positive tone, please always keep it optimistic but realistic if you know what I mean. Look forward to the next one.

Thanks guys.

19. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

I honestly believe Lin is not at the Dwight meeting is because:

1. You dont need him there... Parsons can say what ever he can say... so him being there does not add any value.
    2. Lin does not have a personal relationship with Howard...
    3. You don't want to make the Pitch too long... having more people there saying the same things can get boring...
    4. Everyone there has a purpose... Harden the super star... parsons the friend... Les the owner... morey the gm... Dream the legend... etc. even if we had dragic at pg right now, I highly doubt that he will be included in the meeting...

20. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

thanks clutch, another great podcast, are we gonna get this many podcasts during the next season? would be pretty sick if we did...