1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

please share the roads

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by danny317, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

It seems to me that this "know the law" crap is similar to the people who take advantage of the "pedestrians have the right of way" law. You know those people. The ones who go "I don't care if a car is coming at me at 40 MPH. I'm going to take my sweet ass time crossing the street. **** you, I have the right of way!" Only thinking of themselves and totally inconsiderate of how many other people they are inconveniencing or pissing off.

2. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Did you hit someone? I hate people who walk on the street because the sidewalk isn't good enough for them. It happens a lot here in the gettow.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I haven't hit anyone but I'll be heading towards a green light when all of a sudden somebody 40 feet in front of me will start to cross the street. I slam on my brakes and instead of them going "Oh ****, I better hurry up and get my ass across the street" they just look at you like "what the **** is your problem."

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Hey bikers, get the F out of my way on the roads. And while you're at it, follow the rules of the road. Don't pull up in front of all the cars at a stoplight and pedal 5 mph once it turns green. How about you stop at those stop signs, too? mmkay? TIA

#64 bigtexxx, Dec 11, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

No kidding, I have visions of some biker pedaling his way down the middle of Allen Parkway at 5pm. Talk about having a death-wish.

6. danny317

danny317 Member

for those who say youll run bikers over or toss things at them. all i can say is "karma is a biach." how would you feel if your kid was following the all the laws and some dude decides it would be funny to throw something at them while theyre passing? or that it is their "right" to own the street bc the bike is inconveniencing them?

man i need to start carrying a video camera just in case.

the environment is great and all but like i said i need to lose my gut, cant afford gas prices, and think its pointless sitting in traffic for 1.5 hrs to get home when i can make the trip in 1 hr on my bike.

i ride the local streets and find it funny that all these cars will zoom by me but i just catch up to them at the next light.

of course when the speed limit is over 35mph and there is no dedicated bike lane, i take it to the side walk. (and yes i give pedestrians the right of way. sometimes when the sidewalk is narrow, i even dismount my bike to let the pedestrian pass.) but on the local streets where the posted speed limit is 35mph, i should be able to ride my bike on the street. not bc i say so but the law says so.

7. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

8. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

This thread has inspired me.

Next time I see a biker on the road, I'm definitely going to yell/throw something at him.

9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

and your point?

not everyone here is living in houston.

10. jo mama

i dont see how pedestrians crossing the street is related to the topic at hand.

there is a difference b/t a bike having a right to be on the road and a pedestrian who slow-pokes it across an intersection.

11. jo mama

bikes have a right to be on the road tradertexx. sounds like you are the one who needs to follow the rules of the road.

who says i dont?

12. jo mama

awesome! i hope its me! if im not able to catch up w/ you ill at least get your license plate, which would subsequently allow me to find out your name and where you live.

13. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

jo mamma...

with every post you're making it more dangerous for those of us on bikes...

14. AkeemTheDreem86

Just curious... How do you do that? I have some business needs takin' care of.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Does braking a few seconds really inconvenience you enough to piss you off?

I get road rage, but a lot of it isn't worth it.

16. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

17. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I think his point is that you keep telling other posters "it's the law" and "deal with it" but yet you have admitted to breaking the very law you are throwing at others as the reason they need to respect you on your bike.

So we should respect the law.....but you do when it's convenient or "safe?"

Not arguing, just assuming that was his point. I am sure FFB will chime in if I am off base.....actually, I am sure he'll chime in regardless. :D

I live in Wylie, a suburb of Dallas. Frankly, every Sat. and Sun. we have groups of cyclists out on the roads. These are not commuters. They are cycling for recreation/exercise/training/pleasure....or some combination of these.

They DO ride on streets with posted speed limits of 40, 45, and some at 50 mph. They are large groups, and often they take up two lanes, not just one.

Most of them seem to follow the rules and do the right thing. But sometimes I'll be at a stoplight and I could be the first car....maybe the second or third, and a small group of them will meander up to the front of the line of cars on the right. So they end up being at the front of the line at the stoplight, and they are not turning right, but going straight. I must admit, I have patience, but this infuriates me. The whole line of traffic is then forced to move through the intersection at 2 mph, the cars wanting to turn right have to wait for the cyclists to pedal through the intersection. So rather than wait their turn and stay in their position in line, they think that since there's room, they can move up front and make EVERYONE mad.

Good times. :D

Personally, I am not a cyclist, other than an occasional mountain bike jaunt. But I would never ride on the street (other than in my neighborhood). Craziness.

18. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Sorry, my grammar is whack! Insert a "don't" where the "do" is. My apologies. :eek:

19. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I'm not a biker but I still enjoy wearing biker shorts.

20. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I've recently(within the past 6 months) seen 2 bike v car accidents, one happened while I was watching and another one I saw the aftermath...both times I wondered wtf these idiots were riding their bikes on these streets. It doesn't matter what the law is, if you can't realize that riding your bike in Houston traffic is dangerous then eventually darwin's law will help you figure it out.