1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

please share the roads

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by danny317, Dec 11, 2007.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Are you guys riding in the middle of the traffic lanes or to the right near the curb?

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

glad to hear! i hope more of yall come around. try to understand that some people ride for enjoyment, some out of necessity. either way, bikes have every right to be on the road that cars do - its the law!!!

it should - they are on a bike and you are in a car - just pay attention.

3. jo mama

i used to ride to the right near the curb, but i got tired of cars/trucs/suvs riding by and side mirrors coming inches from smacking my head. i now ride in the middle of the lane so that nobody can pass me by in my lane and almost hit me. if you want bikes to follow the rules of the road like cars than they should be entitled to their own lane. DEAL WITH IT! :cool:

4. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Sorry, no, I think bike riders (not people who do it for fun, but commuters) are douchebags. They think they're more important than anyone else on the road simply because their method of transportation is 10x slower and more dangerous.

The previous post in this thread confirms that for me.

5. jo mama

if i lived in houston i would never ride my bike - maybe around herman park, but thats it. in austin i ride my bike all over even though i have a car - im a 10 minute bike ride from 6th st.

no offense, but this is ignorant - if you rode a bike you would know that.

1. on the sidewalk people can walk out of nowhere and pedestrians are not paying attention half the time (cell phones, talking to someone, ect). the speed of a bike is much more comparable to a car than a pedestrian. roads have lanes while sidewalks do not.

2. hitting a pedestrian would be the fault of the biker. a bike on a sidewalk is a safety hazard to the people coming in and out of the stores - there are children walking around too.

3. where do you get this from?

4. yes, cops will write you a ticket for riding on the sidewalk. at the least, they will yell at you to get off the sidewalk...because it is against the law.

6. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

wow. :rolleyes:

7. jo mama

for the record, i dont ever ride on highways or any roads that go over 40 or so. way too dangerous. im strictly urban city/greenbelt riding.

but i am one of those jackasses who is in the middle of the lane at a stop light. its my lane...sorry.

8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I've got a solution, Metro Bike Rail.

9. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

If you're riding in the middle of the lane, you'd better not ride on fast roads. I'd say you'd be good for 2-3 trips tops!

In fact, you should probably stick to dedicated bike lanes. Nothing worse then a stack of angy drivers passing you all at once when they finally get the chance

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Then don't get pissed when people are inches from your back tire or get pissed at you. You know what you are doing is infuriating to many drivers.

11. WildSweet&Cool

Please don't correct me when I'm talking out of my ass. :D

12. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

It's not my method of transportation that makes me better.

It's the chance to wear spandex every day and show up at the office all sweaty!

(and I don't really wear spandex....I wear baggy shorts so I can drop golf balls from my pockets in front of cars that annoy me).

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

"Please share the roads."

[​IMG]

Can't believe I got 2 opportunities to post this pic on the same day! :D

14. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

So...thus far, bike riders in this thread brag about:

1. Slashing people's tires
    2. Deliberately driving in the middle of traffic to annoy people
    3. Throwing golf balls at peoples cars because they 'annoy' you

I take back my douchebag comment. :rolleyes:

15. jo mama

so the people that ride for fun are ok, but people who ride out of necessity are "douchebags"? what if someone cant afford a car and they have to ride a bike?

im sorry if you dont like the fact that i dont want to get hit by a car. im just following the law...deal with it! :p

16. jo mama

i didnt brag about slashing peoples tires - i said next some someone messes with me i will slash their tires.

i did not say i drive (i think you mean 'ride') in the middle of traffic to annoy people. i said i rode in the middle of the lane b/c i got tired of almost getting hit by cars, trucks and suv's. it is a safety issue and if you cant see that than perhaps you are the douchebag.

17. Fatty FatBastard

I don't know what sidewalks in Austin are like, but in Houston, the sidewalks aren't directly in front of shopping areas. They're typically a lane a few feet from the road.

18. jo mama

im following the law. if its infuriating to many drivers that is their problem.

ive never had a car come inches from my back tire though. if it happened i would fight them.

19. jo mama

of course, in that situation i jump on the sidewalk. if i know that it is not a pedestrian one i would rather ride on the sidewalk - its safer.

there is a long sidewalk by an office near my house and at night its deserted - ill ride on that rather than the road.

sometimes a little common sense goes a long way.

20. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Um....no.

If they're in a 4000lb car, and you're on a bike -- it's your problem. Ride in the lane only when the curb is unsafe, otherwise make it easy for the car to pass you.