1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Please provide an example of having learned sth. or changed your mind - D&D

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Hightop

Hightop Member

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://video.foxnews.com/v/embed.js?id=1722742953001&w=466&h=263"></script><noscript>Watch the latest video at <a href="http://video.foxnews.com">video.foxnews.com</a></noscript>

2. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

being from the Levant, the ATW/Mathloom stuff has certainly given me pause to re-examine my views on Islam...but, ultimately, they've remained unchanged. I'm inherently mefiant of the rigidity it inspires (some islamic boardmembers' response to the cartoonist fiasco did not help....especially since they impress me as well-informed & well-educated- that's what scares me the most...)

My aunt, a fixture on arab tv stations, has converted to Islam...[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

With that political philosophy, you don't fit in with any "electable" american politic.

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

The forum has given me the opportunity to debate educated conservatives, often with the party line, who I don't tend to meet in my daily life. It has also been some what startling to see what seem to me to be some of the more ridiculous lines from the Rush-Fox-GOP transmission belt repeated by actual, albeit on line, persons.

Many folks don't like to talk about politics, or are so uninformed, that it is of only limited interest to talk to them.

Has anyone else had this experience? When you do chance to talk to people about a particular political controversy or issue you are not only informed, but have often already debated the issue on the bbs. You have to be careful not to blow away the person who has just become aware of the issue when you have already honed your thinking on the issue.

5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I second this post, double down on Major as someone always worth reading, and would add rhad, Juan Valdez, and Ottomaton as well.

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

umm my dad? :grin:

Yes, if you debate with the people around you, you will find out most of them have no clue what is going on (both democrats and republicans), yet they are voting on politicians who are suppose to settle these issues.

7. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

excepting the TP stuff and abortion, this could describe me as well. on abortion, my views have changed over the years, influenced primarily by feminist stridency on the issue (no acknowledgement that men have a voice as well), and (frankly) seeing my own kids on ultrasound before they were born.

i don't see what's objectionable about the tea party.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Isn't that basically a modern libertarian? Honest question, you're free to label yourself as you choose. But I think along very similar lines and I consider myself a libertarian.

As for the teaparty... Honestly I'm not exactly sure what the Tea Party is. I just don't like its personality.

#28 napalm06, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Great point. As I don't post much but lurk in D&D, I become very familiar with the issues and stances. Then in reality (say, at work) when I have to consciously avoid going too deep. I'm more interested in hearing what they have to say first, and then giving them one main issue to think about if I disagree.

10. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Right there with you, though I was recently accepted to a PolySci PhD program.

11. basso

Supporting Member

what troubles you about it's personalty (i'm not sure i could identify a recognizable personality amongst the various TPs.

12. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

This describes me as well - sort of. I'm generally fiscally conservative..but I wouldn't mind letting ALL the Bush Taxcuts expire..not just the top ones - although I do think the death tax should be lowered. I'm totally fine with gay rights, but I do believe abortion is murder. Basically, I don't really have a party I completely fit with either. Luckily I'm finding out that there are a lot of Younger Conservatives that do not want to limit gay rights..and their #'s are growing.

yes, the left really turned it up a notch in the last decade - I had never seen so much hate for a President in my life as the left did with Bush. I hate seeing that some on the right have decided to go after Obama with just as much venom - its disgusting really.

13. basso

Supporting Member

i feel the opposite- now that it has been exposed as pure partisan politics, i hate the left more for what they did to bush, at a time when our country desperately needed unity. i will never again vote democrat, at least the current iteration of the party. i don't necessarily feel great about the republican party, but until there's a viable 3rd option, this is the choice we have.

#33 basso, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  14. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

When I started posting in D&D, I considered myself an establishment liberal for the most part. Over time I've come to advocate different views, including libertarian positions, conservative views, and progressive ideals. Today I see myself more as a progressive, but really dont align with any one party and I think D&D discussions have certainly contributed to that.

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Edit: Bill Clinton says you must be too young to remember the GOP attacks on him.

#35 Rashmon, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  16. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

I have always disliked the concept of religion . Giving names and methods to what is essentially beliefs and faith does not make any sense. Visiting this board and seeing people act like idiots and pretending that "he who yells the loudest must be correct" has only strengthened my belief . It is absolutely pointless to waste your time to try and debate religion on here. I guess one could say that it has made my dislike for all things religion even stronger.

17. Rasputin12

Rasputin12 Member

lol. The people on this board shouting the loudest ARE people like you.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Way back in 02, Hayes street convinced me with his Hitchens-esque rationale for the Iraq war

There was an abortion thread that made me consider both sides if the table. Being a dude, i hadn't fully thought of the emotional and personal considerations.

I like a lot of stuff rim rocker and major throws out...enough for me to s steal. I got to rep then again.

19. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

It all started when Bill Clinton was elected President in 1992....

20. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Partisan bickering isn't something that just started happening the moment you became politically aware (or, in basso's case, the moment he first **** his still-unchanged pants with abject fear).