1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PLEASE KEEP LAMB!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by woodtee, Jul 13, 2012.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The risk should be dismissed after 3 years of sitting on the NBA toilet without taking a s**t.

Give me my franchise center. I don't care if he's an ill-tempered idiot or a prima-donna malcontent. I'll take either. Just get me out of this damned mediocrity nightmare.

1 person likes this.
  2. CXbby

CXbby Member

I realize, it is Lamb, the Tor pick, Dallas pick, probably one of our own protected picks, and some other prospects. In addition to the bad contracts.

I also realize, the Tor pick which came from Lowry is reproducible, quite easily by Morey.

The Lamb pick, which came from Dalembert and our own mid first rounder is reproducible, quite easily by Morey.

The Dallas pick, the other prospects, Dragic, Brooks, Landry, Ariza, Lee, Scola, etc, etc, all reproducible, easily.

Getting rid of bad contracts, after inheriting a roster full of bad contracts from CD, a piece of cake.

Why? Because Morey is a damn fine GM and has proven he can acquire and reacquire solid talent over and over again.

However, no matter how fine of a GM anyone is, surefire HOFers are NOT reproducible, because they are unavailable. The only time you ever have a shot at a surefire HOFer is with the #1 pick, or when they are unhappy and want out.

Now I agree, giving up everything is a hefty price for merely a shot at a HOFer. However, I highly doubt we give up everything, and I highly doubt Morey believes we merely have a shot in the dark at resigning Howard.

What I don't doubt is this may be one of the only times in Morey's entire career where he has a shot at a sure fire HOFer. You think Jeremy Lamb is going to get in the way of that?

Once upon a time, a young team on the rise with high potential players had a chance at a disgruntled superstar wanting out. They hesitated, and rather stuck with the young guys with "only upside". Kobe returned to the Lakers, and carried his team to multiple championships once they paired him with a second star. Meanwhile, the "young rising stars" Chicago held on to in Hinrich, Deng, and Gordon peaked as overpaid marginal players they would later have to dump(or currently trying to dump).

You are right, history has shown. History has shown that you always go for the best player and HOFer, instead of holding out hopes for "potential" and "upside". Unless we learn from actual history, we will be doomed to repeat those mistakes.

#102 CXbby, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  3. zzpot

zzpot Member

With all of the nonsense posts happening on the BBS ... I hate to post it but I will..

D-Black-hole trade could cause some 24 Hours TV show type stuff.

Things like just remove the black hole from the picture altogether and let the NBA carry on. Sick as it is... Some people may just freak out and do that.... Drama has a way of screwing peoples heads up...

Just relax people.. let the D-Black-hole thing go for now.. It is not the end of the world...We all know that happens on Dec 23 2012.. According to the Mayan calender.:confused::confused:

zzpot

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also though that is the Bulls faunt because reportedly Kobe wanted to play there. Wanted to follow in Jordan's footstep as a Bull. Hell Kobe would have played on the moon (or even worse, Utah) at the time he just wanted out of LA.

Meanwhile the Lakers stuck with the guy they made a draft day deal to acquire (sounds similar?) Lakers stuck with the potential of Kobe (who they pretty much drafted) so I can easily argue for that as well.

Kobe drafted 13th overall btw, lots of great players to be had in that 10-15 range.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Is someone seriously comparing Lamb to Kobe?

Jesus. Time to sign off.

6. Karolik

Karolik Member

Summer League doesn't mean crap, you can literally get nothing out of it. Preseason at least can mean something.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah bro, that's not going to work.

No one said that, but the situation was eerily similar so I threw that in there :rolleyes:

Also though because people keep screaming and shouting.

"HOFamers aren't drafted after 10!" over and over again and I could give you a long list of players that were.

8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Check their stats from last season. Howard lead ins pts/game (20.6 to 18.7), rebounds (14.5 to 11.8), blocks (2.1 to 1.8), FG%(57.3% to 55.8%), Assists (1.5 to 1.4) and steals(1.5 to .5). Add to that the fact that Howard is the best defensive player in basketball (3 Defensive POY) yet Bynum is better?

Better post skills? Where do you think Howard is scoring all of his points? He is scoring more and at a better percentage while being much more the focus of the opposing defenses. They don't give style points in the NBA. If Howard can dunk ever shot then more power to him. Getting to the rim and dunking is a post skill.

Better from the free throw line? So, the fact that Bynum is a 68% career FT shooter to Howards career 58% is the differentiating factor for you?

The funny thing is that I heard the same complaints about Shaq, "All he can do is dunk" and "he can't shoot free throws".

Do you really think that LA is going to trade Bynum unless they get Howard? They have a very small window for the Kobe/Nash/Gasol combo. So you think that they are going to take Bynum out of the middle and trade him to us for what? What are we going to send them that will help them win a title in the next year or two? Why would they do that? What draft picks and "unwanted young players" are they going to prefer over Bynum.

Do you really think that Bynum is going to leave LA and sign anywhere else for $30M less than he could get from the Lakers? Why?

#108 aelliott, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  9. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

lol ok guys i really like lamb
    but taking d12 and hedo and giving up kmart, toronto pick, and lamb might be a good thing lol.

i mean yea, we're renting d12. but what if we're really good this year? and what if we attract a FA next summer, or get another player via trade before the trade deadline. i don't think howard wants to leave a winning situation, he wants to be in one.

10. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

the deal at this point is
    kmart, toronto pick, one of the 2012 draftees for ONE bad contract and d12.

11. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Its just one game. FLASHBACK - Donte Green.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We certainly agree on the risk, but I imagine that the Lakers are convinced that if they can get Dwight, he'll stay, and I think they're right. The problem they have is that the only player who could make a deal happen for them with Orlando, Bynum, has no interest in signing with them, as you've no doubt heard. That puts us pretty close to being the catbird seat at the Howard banquet.

13. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

Damn, Bynum is a blocking machine! I'll sign up for 18.7 blocks a game. :grin:

14. AFS

AFS Member

It has become a rarer occurrence now that players can't come straight out of high school.

15. aelliott

Actually, the Warriors entered this offseason with zero cap space. They were right at the cap.

16. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

The same can be said for every Rockets player who played well today

Its just i see something different in Lamb

17. aelliott

No they couldn't. They already used their amnesty on Charlie Bell last December.

http://www.nba.com/warriors/news/warriors_waive_charlie_bell.html

There was no way for the Warrors to clear that kind of cap space.

Howard makes $19.5M. Under the new less restrictive trade rules, GS would still have to send out $9.75M just to cover the required 50% of Howard's salary. Curry, Thompson and Barnes combined only make $8.8M. GS would have to throw in another $1M in dead weight to even be able to take on Howard.

Davis makes $6.4M, Turkoglu $11M, Richardson $5.7M and Duhon $3.5M. How is GS going to clear enough space to take on any combination of those guys?

How about draft picks? GS is owed no future picks so all they have is their own picks. Unfortunately their own 2013 pick is currently owed to Utah (top 6 protected) so they can't trade that pick. Since they may be without a 2013 pick then they are also not allowed to trade their 2014 pick either. To make matters worse they owe their 2013 and 2015 2nd rounders to Denver and Indy.

So, with no cap space and no draft picks how could GS do any deal comparable to what the Rockets can offer?

18. aelliott

Fixed. Thx

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Because they have a player that most of the league would covet in Thompson(who is already on the select team). I think the Magic would be willing to take on Bogut (who isn't a bad contract if he could stay healthy) for Thompson and the draft pick that the Warriors used to select Barnes, or just Barnes himself.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=83946le

My feelings on this is that they wouldn't have to take back as much because they have better prospects to offer in Thompson and Barnes.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah you are right about that, I often forget that for some reason Bynum is hesitant to go to Orlando.

Still though I think there is a risk of some other team doing something to woo Dwight from us, especially if he starts doing this stuff again. Either way I guess the risk is all dependent on what we give up.