1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Please go after Chandler

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sherlock, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

I guess this is what happens when people don't actually WATCH the NBA. Someone really let the crazies out with this Sherlock fellow.

2. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Wow ... what a herd pile on ... lol ... if someone doesn't defend themselves immediately around here lately, some of you swarm like piranhas.

Sorry I wasn't able to man the post, and adequately defend what I said.

Yes, Chandler has played the center position the last couple years in New Orleans. I didn't keep up with him in HS or college, where he probably played the center position, but in CHI, he played the 3/4/5 and TV commentators would often marvel at how he could play positions 2-5, even saying the 2/3 were interchangeable for him when he played at SF. Just because he didn't spend his time playing or starting at that position, doesn't mean he couldn't, just like TMac functionally plays PG at times, but isn't listed there. I believe TMac would be excellent at PG, just as DD has mentioned from time to time, but I doubt it'll ever happen. It is worthy of discussion though, and not ridicule.

According to 82games, from which AELLIOT posted this years New Orleans stats, in 2003/4, he split his time between the 3/4/5 position. His net48 time on the court averaged 25 minutes at the 3, 8 at the 4, 11 at the 5. That was the year I watched him the most. In 2004-5/6, He played primarily at the 4/5, and since going to New Orleans, has primarily played at the 5.

New Orleans needed him at center, and since there is such a premium on good centers, there's been no reason to play him anywhere else, and he has played extremely well, as I expected, except this season. Chicago gave up on him too early, IMHO, and it was an opportunity to snatch talent, which NO did, not us, unfortunately.

Chicago had Curry at center, so they had the luxury of playing Chandler at other positions. We have Yao, and we could have that luxury of playing him at the 4/5, and since the 2/3 are fairly interchangeable in Adelman's system, he could play there as well, whether you agree he would be good at it or not.

I'm sure it'd be easy to logically explain to me why he would not be able to play the 2 effectively. Disagree all you want. My point is that he'd add depth at multiple positions where he'd add valuable depth and athleticism, and that is a valid point.

It's not as ridiculous an idea as many of you are saying over and over. Saying something over and over, and ridiculing someone when they don't defend themselves, does not make it true.

Debate the possibilities, disagree all you want, maybe even laugh as you disagree, but ridicule and personal insults only makes you look stupid and without class, not the person you attempt to make fun of.

#62 Sherlock, Feb 17, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  3. DOHCtah

DOHCtah Member

wow man.. you just keep digging yourself deeper and deeper. Like I said, your response would be GOLD and it is!

Chandler 03-04:
    http://www.82games.com/03CHI19C.HTM

Net48 has NOTHING to do with minutes. "The Net48 number shows the average +/- net points over a full game. " LOL. And you forgot to mention that all those were NEGATIVE.. meaning -25 at SF, -8 at PF, -11 at 5... lol thanks for proving he can't play the 3. Double fail.

The real stat is "Min", which stated he spent 0% of the team's total time at the 3 lol. This is probably because he was chucked in for garbage time.

I should also note this was the season he played a career low 35 games, and shot a career low 0.424%, so I don't know what you saw in him on TV was that good..

4. Sherlock

You're right ... I didn't take the time to examine what the stats meant, since I don't use these. I know Chandler played multiple positions in CHI, and was quickly looking for stats to verify that, since Aelliot posted something that showed he only played Center this year.

Dumb ... lol ... It after 3a, and my head isn't clear. That'll teach me to post at this hour, without checking details. My apologies ...

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

It still doesn't explain why you thought Tyson Chandler is able to play swing positions. As everyone here already said he doesn't offensive skills for the 4 slot,much less the 2 or 3. Whatever possessed you to make the assumption that Chandler would be a great guard? I slept at 3 am today as well, and yet you don't see me claiming that Duncan would be a great swingman, do you? Elementary my dear Sherlock :rolleyes:

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Sherlock, it was a honest effort, I'm not going to pile on you. When Chandler came out, he was a garnett type, that's why he was drafted high. He stroked the 3 in high school,ran the court like a gazzelle and could just do everything. Once he got in pro's, they really didn't know what to do because like kg, he's not the biggest fellow. So what he has become is a kg - the offense. He's a versitile defender/shot blocker/finisher/run the court type of guy. He can defend the 4 and the 5. When you said defending the 3, it was a stretch. Its kinda like if he gets caught on a 3 in a pick and roll, he's ok because he has great lateral quickness and is long. Kinda like when Howard got caught on kobe and played it pretty well. I think he's the type to play next to yao. He's only going to take 7 shots a game which means someone else will get shots. I like scola, but u can't have a starting 5 as poor defensively as the rockets and expect to win tight games.

7. Sherlock

Thanks, Leebigez for your grace in your answer.

I have clearly demonstrated my lack of expertise in being able to prove what I believed about his versatility, since most of my opinion came from casually watching him on TV over the years, not reading stats resources.

I bow to your greater knowledge on this subject.

8. newengland

newengland Member

no thanks. I prefer monica. She is hell of a team leader.

9. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

10. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

April Fools joke a month and a half early?

11. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

UPDATE:
    Chandler has been traded to OKC for Joe Smith and Chris Wilcox....lock it up.

12. RocketKobe24

RocketKobe24 Member

I give this thread 5 stars for comedy and 5 stars for story. I give it 1 star for knowledge. :D

13. rockability71

rockability71 Member

Chandler has been traded to the Bobcats.