1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Please don't dig a deeper hole Morey!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsFan11, Jun 29, 2012.

1. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

"After striking out on draft night in trying to maneuver for a trade for Dwight Howard, the Rockets are said to be looking hard at adding a center in free agency, with Omer Asik being a top target."

"Rockets GM Daryl Morey has said the team will target centers in free agency and team beat writer Jonathan Feigen connects the dots to say that they are looking at Asik and Marcus Camby. Asik is known for his defensive prowess, however he is a restricted free agent so the Bulls can match any offer. Camby is an unrestricted free agent and the lone remaining center on the Rockets roster after the team traded away Samuel Dalembert in an effort to stockpile picks for a run at Howard. All of a sudden, the Rockets look very thin in the middle."

This is exactly what I was afraid of. Strike out on the big names, so he gets desperate and overpays 2nd rate players.

Omer Asik? Really? PLEASE don't waste money on this guy. Just sign Camby to a 2 year deal (he'll come at a bargain) and wait for the right center to come along. It's not like getting a center now will push us over the top. I would HATE to lock up long term money on a guy like this just to get a center...

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

I wouldn't mind getting Asik, he wouldn't be my first choice, but he's a solid player with room to get a bit better.

My preference would be to trade for a younger center though. I would be ringing Utah's phone off the hook about Favors/Kanter. They'd have to at least be intrigued by a package including Lowry and Martin. Imagine their lineup like this:

Lowry
    Martin
    Hayward
    Millsap
    Jefferson

Hard to say no to if you're the J*zzholes.

3. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Asik isn't bad at all. I'd much rather give him $4-5MM than give Hibbert a max contract. I'd also take Mcgee on a reasonable contract.

4. rocketsmetalspd

Sad thing the Rockets could've had him but pick Dorsey instead that year's draft.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Yes, Morey! Listen to this guy! Please do not pursue an elite 7' defender and rebounder!

1 person likes this.
  6. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Asik is overrated by ClutchFans.

7. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Who cares how Clutchfans rates a player. Asik can play and he's done it in the playoffs. Would be a great pickup.

Also you can't trade for Dwight Howard when Orlando doesn't want to trade him.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Offer several of our smurf forwards plus cash (or Lowry to replace Nash and mentor Marshall?) to Phoenix and try and pry Gortat from them.

"Looking thin at center" LOL