1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playstation Vue

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lurch, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

I think I had to use my cousins PS4 to set it up on the PSN network but obviously I don't live with him so I couldn't watch as many content.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That might be it. If you set it up on his PS4 (ergo his IP) then you won't be able to use/access it on your home IP (assuming you don't live together). I think there's a way to change the IP after you log into your account.

3. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

So you do need a PS4 don't you? Or do you just need the PSN?

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

5. Poloshirtbandit

How much data does Vue typically use? I signed up for the 7 day trial today hoping to cut Xfinity, but worried about going over the data cap.

6. HR Dept

So I finally cut the cord yesterday. Decided to go with Vue after being extremely unimpressed with the DirecTV Now launch yesterday. I upgraded my WIFI router to a Netgear Orbi system and I'm streaming Vue using two Apple TVs, one hardwired to the router the other hard wired to the Orbi satellite in the master bedroom. The other two TVs are connected with Chromecasts.

I'm extremely impressed with the interface on the Apple TV, channels load in less than a second and the PQ almost seems better than what I was getting with DirecTV. I'm going to add an HDHomerun and OTA antenna for CBS to catch Texans games and we'll be all set. I'll be missing out on a lot of Rockets games though and that's the only real downside. I may consider revisiting the League Pass / VPN route later on towards the end of the season.

7. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I know what you mean, I get the message to the effect of 'Not on home network'.

But I've watched soccer games (Champions League) on the go from Fox Sports (I think). I've just tested a live stream of CNN and a DVR'd episode of Impractical Jokers at work and they both stream on my phone.

One thing is to make sure you haven't logged out since leaving home. If you login outside your home then you will be blocked from everything it seems (I've had it happen). But if you log in at home and leave it seems like streaming is still available on many channels/shows. Perhaps something like a cookie is left on your device to verify you're still 'legit'. That way you can't email your login to a relative out of state and still have it work. I haven't tested it that much though.

steddinotayto likes this.
  8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Thanks! I'll have to try leaving it logged in at home next time.

9. andyacecandy

andyacecandy Member

Just got Vue... it's LEGIT, but damn too bad they don't have ROOT (yet)

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I can't cut the cord until Rockets games are available. I really want to do it and in the past, I would get rid of cable in the offseason (until it became too much of a hassle getting back on board). I'd love to know when an option with Root becomes available.

11. HR Dept

Should be soon, Root is working on streaming the Astros starting next month so hopefully things will progress from there.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I believe ROOT is owned by DirecTV/AT&T. I don't see how or why they would allow their sports network to come to any streaming competitor.

13. HR Dept

When Root's contracts with the Rockets and Astros are up, how do you think it will look when the Rox and Astros are among if not the only teams in the NBA/MLB who aren't able to deliver their games to viewers on multiple streaming platforms?

Comcast SportsNet, Fox Sports, and nearly every other RSN are all on board. Root is the only large RSN lagging behind.

In my opinion, I don't think they really have a choice. Not if their into the whole good decision making thing.