1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PlayStation 4 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swishh, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Ismail

Ismail Member

Mind giving a TL;DR summary for Pillars of Eternity? I recently got the Metro games on PS4. Haven't played them yet but have heard amazing things so far. Super stoked for Bloodborne.

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Pillars of Eternity is PC-only, sorry didn't make that clear. Fortunately morpheus133 bumped a thread we had about the game, which has some info:
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=259824
    Basically a new PC RPG in the mold of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, etc.

3. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Hopefully Rainbow Six Seige Breaks that trend, because It looks pretty damn awesome.

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I have held off getting a new system because of the lack of titles.

Are there enough good titles out for PS4 yet so that the purchase can be justified?

5. marky :)

marky :) Member

I don't think so. The only real game I've played or want to play has been GTA5. Seems like I spent $400 on a Netflix player so far.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

There's other good games, Bloodborne happens to be the only exclusive worth buying right now though. Unless you haven't played The Last of Us.

7. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Waste of skin, rofl.

8. Progs

Progs Member

Yes, it is definitely worth it.

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I've been waiting for over a year for a reason to get the ps4 other than MLB the show. I really really want that game but not at the cost of an entire system. Hopefully by the time the show 16 comes out they'll have some more games.

10. YourSecretLover

Bloodborne is worth $600

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

What are you babbling about?

12. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Relax bro, what's up with the hostility? Waste of skin is Bloodbornes deprived class from Demon/Dark Souls. Thought the description they used for it is funny.

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

No hostility, forgive me for coming off that way. I use the word babbling a lot, it sounds funny. Say it out loud.

14. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

What are the thoughts on Bloodborne? Gonna get it eventually but not sure if it's a must buy or if I can wait for a price drop

15. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

The short answer is that if you loved the Souls games, then you'll also love Bloodborne, because it is a Souls title in all but name. But if you didn't like the Souls game very well, then I don't think Bloodborne is likely to change your mind.

There are certainly some differences, the biggest one being that there are no shields, which makes the game faster and more offensive. There's also a system in place now where if you attack an enemy shortly after being damaged, you can get some of your health back... again, they're encouraging a more offensive style.

I have to tell you, even as a hardened Souls veteran, the lack of a shield left me frustrated for the first couple of hours. I actually ended up starting over so that I could pick a different starting weapon: Hunter's Axe instead of Saw Cleaver. That really helped. The two-handed strong charge attack with the axe is pretty great... uses a ton of stamina, but does a double spin attack that will knock most enemies over. I've been leaning on that attack pretty hard, and I've done well with it. Feels kinda cheesy, actually, but there's no such thing as cheesing in these games. You do whatever works.

Oh, and by the way, there doesn't seem to be any sort of viable ranged build. You have a gun in your left hand, but this is designed to stun enemies rather than damage them. No more ranged magic build to lean on, which to me was always the easiest way to play a Souls game when it came down to it.

In any case, I could go on for a while about all the tiny changes they made to the formula (like the fact that equip load no longer exists, and potions are now finite rather than being automatically restocked at bonfires), but the details don't really matter so much. What matters is that the game is very good indeed. Miyazaki's touch is back after being absent from Dark Souls 2. The bosses are much better, and the world feels more organic than it did in Dark Souls 2. The only real downside is that the load times blow, particularly since you'll be dying a lot. I'm talking 30-40 second load times every time you die. But if you liked the Souls games and own a PS4, this one is a no-brainer.

1 person likes this.
  16. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

I have a PS4 for sale if anyone wants one. The PlayStation 4 is 500 GB and in mint condition. I've only had it for a few months and have barely even played it. It comes in its original box, with original wires, original headpiece, and one original controller. Also have NBA 2K15 (Mint Condition), Destiny (Mint Condition), and a Blue DualShock 4 Controller (Brand New Sealed). Let me know if anyones interested.

17. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Thanks a lot man. Ripped! And I believe I read they are preparing a patch for the loading issue. I will probably find some stuff to trade and buy it in the coming week

18. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I haven't played much (maybe ~90 minutes total, and still haven't defeated 1st boss), but based on what I've played and seen, I'd definitely agree with what AtheistPreacher said about Bloodborne. The play style is definitely a bit different, and it takes some getting used to, but other than that, it still feels very much like a Souls game.

And yeah, the load times are horrible. Apparently they were around 2-3 minutes during some of the builds at previous show events IIRC, so I guess it is much improved, but it is still far from satisfactory. Unless they were already working on this, I'd be doubtful it could be fixed quickly/easily, but hopefully they were already working on a patch to cut that down quite a bit. Some improvements to the framerate would also be nice, but I'm used to that in Souls games, and at least it doesn't seem as bad as some of the previous games.

19. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

FWIW on the load times, I was playing last night and realized that the length of the load time really depends on the area you're loading. Most of the areas in Yharnam seem to have that terrible 30-40+ second load time, but I was loading some later areas in ~10 seconds or so (like the Lecture Building). But in any case, hopefully that patch will address the problem somewhat. Hell, it would help if they simply had lore and item descriptions on the loading screens like they did in Souls, just to give players something to read.

20. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Bloodborne is amazing even though I miss my shield