1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PlayStation 4 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swishh, Jun 15, 2013.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Yes, Gaikai is basically the same thing as OnLive. They had some better tech (better compression tech or something IIRC), so the quality was generally a little better than OnLive, but it remains to be seen how things will be now that Sony is involved.

2. RC Cola

I've been hyping this game quite a bit (and already posted something similar in the E3 thread), but here's a look at Outlast:
    <div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:arc:video:gametrailers.com:0d7dfd59-a5c0-476b-907f-786752ff6675" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b><a href="http://www.gametrailers.com/games/kb0uc3/outlast">Outlast</a></b></p></div></div>
    It is one of the free games you get for getting PS+ on PS4. For a free indie game, I think it looks fantastic.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Nice...I wish more people would get involved in this thread regarding some PS4 games.

4. platypus

platypus Member

Yeah I don't see the need of bickering with one another in the Xbox thread, to each their own. But alas does anyone have any information on the game Drive Club?

I've heard it'll be free for PS+ users, perhaps to show off the system's new online chat capabilities? I'm hoping it'll be like that other driving game shown off at e3. It's been a while since i played a good driving game (need for speed underground 2) and i'm itching to play a good one.

5. Swishh

Swishh Member

Not many PS4 games to talk about though. To be honest, the launch line-up for the PS4 is pretty weak. Killzone(meh), Drive Club (meh) and Knack(lmao) . Xbone doesn't seem to have a good launch line up either, but at least their games seem to be better than Playstation's. I'm talking strictly exclusive titles.

It seems that the good next gen games coming out in the near future (destiny, the division, etc) are going to be multi-plat.

6. mrm32

mrm32 Member

To each his own. A lot of people really like the killzone games and knack is receiving some pretty good hype.

7. A00man

A00man Member

Killzone looks fantastic. PS4 launch titles certainly seem a lot more appealing to me than XB1's. Ryse looks like it plays itself with all the QTE's.

8. RC Cola

I don't know if you guys would appreciate this, but the PS4's lead architect (Mark Cerny, was the "creepy" looking guy during the PS4 reveal if you recall) had an excellent presentation recently:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JJW5OKbh0WA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Not really a lot about games, but if you follow the industry, lots of interesting and neat information here. Not solely about PS4 (actually very little about it) or even PS. The first part of the talk is primarily about Cerny's past. Worked at Atari (interesting info about arcade machines), Sega (Sonic!), Crystal Dynamics, Universal Studios with Insomniac and Naughty Dog when they first started (Spyro and Crash Bandicoot), worked with ICE team for SCEWWS (fun PS2 and PS3 "inside" info), and now his current position.

Some interesting PS4 tidbits:
    - Cerny has this "time to triangle" metric he gives for PS platforms. It is basically how long it takes a developer to get a graphics engine up and running on a platform, and coming pretty close to the maximum performance of the machine (i.e., not just having it render a few polygons/triangles). For PS1, this was 1-2 months. PS2 was 3-6 months, while PS3 took a staggering 6-12 months. For PS4, it is back to 1-2 months.

- It seems they considered a different RAM setup, where they would have slower GDD5 paired up with a small amount of fast EDRAM (capable of 1 TB/s). Developers told them to drop that, and just go with one pool of faster GDDR5. Stay away from exotic hardware (raytracing, etc.). Various others bits about developer feedback with PS4 as well.

- PS4 designed to be easy to use, but hard to master. I've noticed this before with the leaked specs, but Cerny added some features that will take devs a few years to fully utilize. Maybe not quite to the degree as with Cell and PS3 (e.g., Last of Us), but expect some good things around year 3 or 4 and beyond.

- He discusses why they didn't go with Cell v2 for PS4.

Not directly PS4 related, but it is interesting to hear him talk about PS3, especially the mistakes they made (their mindset was all wrong). This includes explaining why the PS3 had such a lackluster software lineup early on (Sony was more worried about their studios having an advantage over 3rd party studios with PS3 dev, didn't realize what this actually meant), and the PS3's high price tag (he even calls out "$599"). Some PS2 talk as well (basically had similar problems, but Sony got by despite that).

And as I said in the E3 thread, Shu Yoshida is awesome. Not so surprising that Sony seems to be doing a little better with Yoshida and Cerny in charge (well...and Andy House, though I'm not as familiar with him...but the three seem close and seem to share the same traits). Old Sony sounds like it wasn't run too well, but these guys seem a lot smarter.

9. Poloshirtbandit

I'd probably wait at least a year before checking out any sports titles. I'm interested in seeing how MLB the Show turns out though.

10. RC Cola

It would be nice if they put 2K, Madden, FIFA, etc., on PS+ maybe a few months before the next version. Everyone who was interested probably bought it anyway, and this might get some people (e.g., me) to try the game, and maybe even buy the new one when it comes out. I generally stay away from these games, but I'd try it for free.

Doubt EA, 2K, etc., would do it though. Don't think any of them have so far. Maybe Sony would put The Show on there.

edit: Make PS+ versions maybe. Offline only or whatever, if they're worried about servers, etc.

11. RC Cola

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/15/4...have-preliminary-deal-for-internet-tv-service
    Could be good, could be something we never see/hear about again.

Next up, PS4 owners will be able to use the Hyperloop to travel anywhere around the world.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So very true. If Sony managed an NFL team they'd draft Clowney and sign Watt and either play them together on the dline or simply keep them locked in a shed somewhere for fun.

13. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

14. RC Cola

No, that's fine.

She's yet to contact me back, and I wasn't going to try to contact her anymore (to avoid being "creepy" or whatever). Probably did too much as it is.

I updated that thread a while back, but I found out that she quickly started a new relationship with another guy, who she knew long before me. Maybe an ex, or just some guy she liked but couldn't get with. Pretty sure she dumped me for him, but just didn't want to tell me. Which would make hanging out awkward. That does explain her "weird" behavior...especially the freak out over the Facebook friend request (if I was seeing her Facebook page, I'd find out the truth).

I actually would be OK with it if she was honest about it all. Well...as OK as you can be. I was pretty bitter/angry about it, but I've cooled off a lot and ready to move forward (not really super angry about what others do anymore). Still open to friendship, or some kind of friendly relationship anyway. But that's not for me to decide.

Can't say I'm optimistic about her wanting to talk to me again. Even if she wanted to, that would be difficult to do while jumping into a new relationship. So that doesn't leave a lot there, at least for the time being.

edit: I'm tempted to dress up in black and a mask, dropping "I know what you did last summer" messages to her, but that is also probably a bit on the creepy side. :) So instead, I'll just try to watch that on my PS4. Transition complete. :D

#94 RC Cola, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  15. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Rumors are that the PS4 might launch in October. I'm hoping they launch in September before I move so I can save the money on taxes and purchase a game (cag for life).

16. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

you're a CAG too? :grin:

that site is the reason why i have a backlog of games :(

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think you were like my first "friend" on PS3. Not many choices when you stand in line 24 hours to get 1 of 26 available.

18. RC Cola

With PS4 pushing F2P games, CAGs will have even bigger backlogs. :(

19. RC Cola

Just rumors, but sounds like Sony will be pushing VR with PS4:
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/420136/sony-to-reveal-ps4-virtual-reality-headset-at-tgs/
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-go-big-with-virtual-reality-on-playstation-4

Kind of figured this (a lot of the execs have talked about the Oculus Rift, plus Sony has had their own VR hardware), though I'm not as on-board with it as others (maybe because I don't want to figure out how this works with people who wear glasses :(). Cool tech, but just give me more of this please:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UHgrSnEpwfY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

^^^ Ok, this game is beautiful.