1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PlayStation 4 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swishh, Jun 15, 2013.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I wouldn't get too excited about it yet. Yes, it could end up being something we never really use.

But yes, it would be what you're talking about. Instant access to tons of games (even if they just use the hybrid approach for downloading games). Doesn't even need to be a PS4 that you use to play the games, although they may keep the focus there early on.

The tech has already been used by the public for some games before Sony bought the company. It works similar to (albeit better than) OnLive, so it isn't a complete work of fiction. Definitely works and all that. Just depends on how it scales up to a bigger userbase and a bigger selection of titles (Can it make money? That was the problem with OnLive, though they were horrible mismanaged). That isn't easy to do, and it remains to be seen if Sony will be successful with it. If they are, then it will be a pretty awesome service IMO. But I wouldn't count on it at this point. Get Sony to show it working and working well.

2. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

So, it's like Sega TV? :grin:

3. RC Cola

I didn't really follow Sega TV, but reading up on it a bit, it is kind of like that (they technically just downloaded the games quickly I believe, which is impossible here, but the final result is more or less the same). Better technology nowadays to get rid of some of the limitation of Sega TV.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Sounds like you would need a good internet speed and high or no data cap to use Gaikai often.

I just really want to play older games, and I thought this would be a great way to do it. On the XBone you can play 360 games if you have both systems on and an HDMI cord running between them, but that isn't too enticing. I just one system.

5. RC Cola

Yeah, I think they recommended 5Mbit/s for their service, prior to the buyout by Sony. I'd expect something similar, and maybe even higher. Though you could get by with ~3Mbit/s, but it wouldn't be ideal. And yes, definitely wouldn't go well with data caps. This is pretty much the only way you'll be able to play older PS games on PS4, excluding "HDer" remakes.

(Save us Google!)

6. Scolandry

Scolandry Member

I think the only games from that list that I will buy for sure are Assassin's Creed 4 and Watch Dogs? Is anyone else excited about Watch Dogs like I am??

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

From the list:

COD or Battlefield
    Might skip on Madden since Im usually used to playing in August and burned out by October.
    Might go with NBA 2k because it would be pretty sweet to play with Paul, Harden, and Howard on one team.
    FIFA, im 50/50 on.
    Waiting to hear more about Knack.
    Watch Dogs, 100%.

Im not too excited about this list...it's one thing I wish PS4 focused more on, right out of the gates. That's really the only reason Im considering the XBone, because I like their early lineup better.

8. RC Cola

I'm not really big on the launch lineup either. Not really sold on anything.

Assuming I stick with my preorder, I'd probably look at Killzone (only shooter I'm somewhat interested in), Watch Dogs, and Knack (hasn't had the best showing...but can Cerny do wrong?). Maybe 2K14...and maybe Madden, but I doubt the latter. I guess indirectly, I'll play the F2P games and DriveClub PS+. inFamous is the only launch window game I'm really interested in...though not sure how long the "launch window" extends. The lineup actually is pretty good by previous standards (same for Xbone), but I don't care for most of the AAA games.

Would love some of the indie games if they ended up being 2013 titles (sad that Transistor, Witness, and even Octodad are 2014 IIRC). They're supposed to be making a PS4 Super Stardust...I'd play the hell out of that.

9. Swishh

Swishh Member

If any of you have heard of OnLive, that's the closest thing I can compare to what Gaikai is sounding like.

If I do keep my PS4 pre order and don't end up reselling for a profit, then the games I'd buy to go with it are:

-NBA 2K14
    -Watch Dogs (maybe)
    -Killzone SF (maybe)
    -CoD Ghosts (maybe)

Hopefully the PS4 releases before Black Friday so I can take advantage of some of the game sales.

10. SexyButIgnorant

11. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7s32Q7MxvH0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Csr6ahk5RMg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#71 ItsMyFault, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  12. RC Cola

Said this in the other thread, but Fallon will be showing more PS4/Xbone games later in the week (and Wii U :(). Watch Dogs is today, and CoD is tomorrow IIRC.

13. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Did you mean no Wii U?

14. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Well I just preorder 6 games, destiny, battlefield 4, cod ghost, kingdom of hearts , kill zone, and watchdogs. Phew.

15. RC Cola

I meant they would also show Wii U games (tomorrow night I think?), but no one cares about Wii U. :(

(I'm just joking, before Nintendo fans try to attack me.)

16. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I will always stick with Nintendo as one of the 2 consoles I buy plus their handhelds. Just waiting for the right bundle or price drop on the Wii U.

17. RC Cola

Talk about a 11/13 release for PS4 in Europe:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=597641
    Multiple retailers reporting that date.

NA release would presumably be the same or earlier. There was talk of a 10/29 release, but that might be too optimistic.

18. platypus

platypus Member

I'm excited about using the vita as a Wii U type of screen! That would be sweet. If they let me use remote play with most ps4 games that is game over IMO.

19. RC Cola

Remote Play is a OS feature, built-in to all games (i.e., developers don't have to do anything). If a game requires the camera, it won't be supported (for obvious reasons), but all other games are supposed to support Remote Play with Vita.

So...game over or whatever.

20. platypus

platypus Member

If it works as advertised that would be nice. I imagine "Gakai" is kind of like on-live where sony hosts games on their own servers and we stream them.

I had on-live for a while and it was quite good. The lag was not noticeable when you look at how it was streaming a game through another server. I am looking forward to seeing how they implement it in Gakai.