1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PlayStation 4 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swishh, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I wish Resistance was in here for tradition's sake.

2. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

That's an excellent launch lineup, with plenty of triple A titles.

I liked the Resistance games but Insomniac clearly had trouble finding identity for the series. It is a good to give the series a rest...

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I read that, maybe 9 times as triple a t*tties. I was like wow, it's like double D t*tties but the opposite and to an even further extreme. I'd apologize to any ladies that might find that offensive but we all know there aren't any women clicking on this thread.

4. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Lol you have the mindset...

Also, another piece of good news here:
    [​IMG]

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

A bit surprised that the XB1 thread is getting more posts than this one.

I guess more people are arguing on that thread than this one? lol

6. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Yeah, that thread is a mess. Lots of console wars in there.

Though even ignoring that, Xbox One is a more "interesting" console, so there will be more to discuss there (DRM, family sharing, TV stuff, etc.). PS4 is kind of boring in comparison.

7. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Well yea it is more of a "shut up and take my money" type of situation.

8. likestohypeguy

OT why does the chronology of consoles chart on wikipedia show end times in the future? THeir end times are specifically scheduled?

9. RC Cola

I don't see that chart anywhere. Have a link?

Could just be an estimate. Most consoles don't really see much support beyond 10-12 years (if even that). Or just the end of the console generation.

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Wow with those launch titles, I will end up getting Battlefield 4, Madden and NBA 2K. I'd be good for a year

11. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Yeah, pretty natural I think.

XBone it's like:
    "We're changing a bunch of things that no one has ever changed before."
    *discuss* *discuss* *rage* *discuss* *discuss* *discuss* *happiness* *discuss* *discuss*

PS4 it's like:
    "It's more powerful."
    ...cool.

12. likestohypeguy

Must be, the previous generations don't end at their replacements. For instance the wii is predicted to overlap the wii U by over a year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_video_game_console_releases_in_North_America
    at the bottom of that page

13. RC Cola

Oh, I get what you're talking about now.

The end dates are when the manufacturers discontinued their console. Xbox in 2007, GC in 2008, PS2 in 2013, etc. None of the consoles since then have been discontinued yet (and likely won't be for a while), so they just keep going (maybe a bit presumptuous to have them through 2014, but I'm pretty sure all of them will still be available by then). Though Wii might be discontinued soonish.

Thought you saw some chart that had the PS4 going through 2021 or something...

1 person likes this.
  14. likestohypeguy

Didn't know consoles were ever officially discontinued, & yeah only through 2014 is no big deal.

15. RC Cola

Since there's not much to talk about, how about an estimate for a cost breakdown?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514688

That's exciting, right?

Right?

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Questions about Gaikai:

- So it is a cloud-based service I buy games from for direct download, correct?
    - Any idea on how much the games would cost? Full price or likely discount? If I want Star Wars Battlefront II, will it be $60 or will it be ~$15?
    - Do we know what is in its library? If not, when will we find that out?

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It will be interesting to see if the PS3 hangs around like the 1 & 2.

18. RC Cola

Not direct download. That's just regular PSN (like on PS3). Gaikai is for game streaming. Think iTunes video store vs Netflix or something along those lines (Gaikai being like Netflix).

There's not really any concrete details on the service. I doubt Sony has even made any firm decisions.

PS3 games appear to be the focus of the library early on (so guess you could play Beyond, Last of Us, GT6, GTAV, etc., on PS4), but pretty much anything could be part of the library.

No clue what the pricing model will be. I'd expect you'd either pay for each game (say $40, though depends on the game), or you pay some sort of monthly subscription for the entire library. Preferably not both.

Service doesn't launch until 2014, and I expect it to be limited at first. So might be a while before we get a lot of details. Could see more at the Games Convention in a few months (Dave Perry, founder of Gaikai, is from Europe...and I guess that's really the only tie-in I could make to a possible GamesCom announcement).

There will be some Gaikai tech sprinkled throughout the PlayStation service though (e.g., can stream part of a game you bought on PSN while you wait for it to download). Also Remote Play leverages it too...I think.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Whoa... Gaikai seemed like a logical progression, something I as a gamer feel I should have had a long time ago. If I wanna play something I should be able to immediately without moving my ass off the couch. Is that not going to be the case? Is Sony pulling Sony TV or Myth TV or whatever it was called and dangling something in front our eyes that we'll never get to use? Like that time I ran Linux off my launch PS3, oh wait, there was no point because I wasn't building weaponry for the Navy.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not one sword and board RPG?

Booooooo...