1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PlayStation 4 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swishh, Jun 15, 2013.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You will see.

You will see.

:)

DD

2. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

So how is PS4 media center vs Xbone? Kinect vs PS4 Eye, Netflix, video codec supports, web browser, xbmc and ect?

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Netflix on xbox one is where its at and is the system's best selling point ;)

4. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Geez DaDa, you sound like you're on Microsoft's payroll or something. ;)

Personally, after buying 3 360's (RROD fail) I'm going with the PS4 this time around. Already paid it off at my local Gamestop, now I'm going to work on my launch games (Destiny, AC IV, London: 1886, and Watch Dogs).

Microsoft seems intent on removing as much power from the consumer as possible (the whole "borrowing games" fiasco, the need to "check in" with Microsoft so you can play your games, forcing the Kinect onto you, etc.). The whole "multimedia center" thing holds no interest for me. I don't have Netflix, I don't play fantasy football (no need for the NFL thing), I don't Skype at all, much less while I'm trying to focus on a game, and I already have one box my cable signal goes through, I don't need another one. If I have to change the channel, I'm capable of picking up the remote. The one thing I want my console to do is play games and play Blu-Rays. The PS4 just seems more focused on the gaming side, which is all I need.

5. Swishh

Swishh Member

Just so you know, Destiny is not a launch title. It will come out sometime in 2014 and London:1886 was not even given a release time frame, so don't expect that until 2015.

6. YourSecretLover

Do you guys think the PS4 will have the same type of success the PS2 had? or even close to it?

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

For the record I will buy both.

But in the end they will both look to kill the used market.

DD

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I look forward to seeing how far they will try to push us before gamers say enough is enough. Sadly I think they will end up going pretty far before there is any real blow-back.

I also look forward to the Nvidia Shield thread that will eventually pop up when the people take to the streets en masse after Sony and Microsoft continue to violate gamer rights.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

No, the PS2 had a market dominance the likes of which only the original nintendo can claim. people usually make their console decisions early and don't change until the next gen, and sony is off and running early. In the PS2 vs X-Box war sony had 2 advantages. It launched a full year earlier, and had the game catalouge and fanbase of the PS1.

Microsoft still has a loyal enough fanbase that is will still sell well in North America, but outside of NA this will be a complete ass kicking.

Nintendo is simply the other console, company has alienated developers and gamers alike. Mario and Zelda can only do so much.

Microsoft could have an app Advantage, but for 100 dollars i could just buy a roku, and a used game :)

10. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/14/e3-2013-ps4-outpacing-xbox-one-pre-orders

3 to 2 Ps4 preorders to xbox one, only in North America. My guess worldwide it will be 5 to 1.

Dakota, the consumers has sent their message across to microsoft already, we have the $$$ but we still choose what we want in a console. Consumer wins, publishers and developers can press on DRM, but they will receive a boycott as a backlash. That is why microsoft left that to every publisher to do about used games for the Xbox one.

11. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Yeah, meant to change that "launch" to "preorder" before posting and forgot.

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

What's interesting is that every poll has the PS4 at 75-80% and Xbone at 20%ish...but the preorders dont back that data up. Also, my guess is that Microsoft will soften their stance on a few issues...and then you'll see an increase in pre-orders for MS and a few cancellations for PS4...while others are still waiting to see if MS can step up to the plate before they make their decision.

MS would be stupid if they dont start their damage control asap. And whoever is running their twitter account has done more harm than good...completely sending out information that Xbox has even disagreed with.

13. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Not worried about polls, since most can click on whatever, but actual preorder data is what set them apart. Like my 6 closest friends who are also 30 something with $$$ and are gamers, are avoiding xbox one altogether and sticking with the 360 and will also get the ps4. Very small sample. We were all pro MS, not anymore. What really irked us was when Microsoft stated that we do not own our copy of the game, but we just license it. F that, we show our support with $$$.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames#1

What are you saying that preorders don't back it up? On Amazon Ps4 is number one and the launch edition sold out a long time ago. Day one editions of the Xbox one are still available to preorder. I don't even see the regular Xbox one in the list. Also there are a ton of bundles for PS4 in the top 10.

15. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

preorders are useless. I bet both system will sell out since people think there might be a demand for them and resell for profits

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

You clearly missed the point.

17. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

They might have you re-purchase content, though I could also see them using a subscription model. I think that would be smarter actually.

They could...I think...link physical PS3 discs to something in their cloud, though they'd probably still charge some kind of fee ($10-$15?), and maybe still require the disc.

Bunch of different ways to do that. Some more consumer friendly than others.

If you have a good enough PC, I'd get PC. PS4/Xbone versions should be really good, but these kind of games play best on PC IMO.

Not sure if this is what he was talking about, but Sony execs have noted how good the Twitter "#NoDRM" (or whatever it was) campaign went. It didn't really change their minds (they were leaning heavily on keeping things the same), but they definitely all saw the feedback from consumers, and that ended any doubt they had on which route they should take.

Extremely doubtful. Sony had pretty much everything go right with the PS2, including things beyond their control.

PS4 is certainly off to a nice start (including benefiting from things beyond their control), but I think if they start showing PS2-esque dominance, MS will make changes to prevent things from getting too out of hand (fortunately for them, they CAN make changes). Sony has a great global strategy, so they'll probably sell a ton of systems (PS3 might get pretty close to or even surpass 100M and/or take "1st place"...and it was a disaster).

But no, PS2-level success is just crazy talk.

Somewhat alluded to in other posts, but there are some differences in poll numbers and preorders to take in account (and neither one is more "correct"). Polls may target more "hardcore" gamers and all that. Preorders may also include people who just want to resell the system (Amazon preorders show very little game activity for Xbone...the top Xbone game is even tracking behind the PS4 camera IIRC, while several PS4 games are doing well). Taking into account those differences, the responses seem more or less in-line with each other.

As you said, there is plenty of time for MS to shift things before launch. The only question is whether they feel the need to. I'm pretty sure they anticipated this kind of response (it was obvious given the rumors and the backlash at the reveal event). The question is whether they believe this is just from a vocal minority (who might all end up buying your system anyway, ala CoD fans), or whether this is definitely something that might hurt their business. Might also be hesitant to suddenly backtrack on big decisions (is it good if a company changes major business decisions every few weeks?). Remains to be seen what they're thinking.

They will both try to kill the used market (or at least take out a few of its limbs), but hopefully the industry will figure out a way to do it without making their consumers pay the price.

Personally, I think they can. Lots of solutions available (those that don't force the gamer to give up so much). Including making good games that people don't want to give up. :)

(That's one of the CDProjekt mottos IIRC...an up-and-coming developer/publisher)

18. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

#38 wizkid83, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  19. Swishh

Swishh Member

20. mrm32

mrm32 Member

List of launch games:
    http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/Playstation_4_Launch_Titles

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
    Battlefield 4