1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playoffs? No way!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BrooksBall, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

It's hard to see any of the following seven Western Conference teams not making the playoffs:

Spurs
    Mavericks
    Suns
    Jazz
    Nuggets
    Hornets
    Lakers

That leaves one spot for the following teams:

Warriors
    Kings
    Rockets
    Trailblazers

Assuming the Warriors key players stay relatively healthy, I don't see any chance of the Rockets finishing ahead of them.

The Kings are getting healthy again with Bibby, Martin and Artest back and are still in the picture. I wouldn't overlook the Kings.

I think the Trailblazers will come down to earth and miss the playoffs but you can't rule them out yet because of their recent play.

Given this outlook, do any of you still believe the Rockets can make the playoffs?

I'll go on the record and say we have no chance.

2. jc1988

jc1988 Member

even though this thread is meaningless...

I have to agree with you, making playoff is ACTUALLY a very URGENT issue right now....and if we continue to play in an underachieving way (like we played all season), we will DEFINITELY miss playoff, period.

3. BrooksBall

What makes an opinion thread in a fan blogsite meaningful vs meaningless?

Opinions are opinions. Whether they are meaningful or meaningless is a subjective matter.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Portland will make the playoffs. Don't forget anyone can get hurt in the NBA.

5. ThaShark316_28

Next time someone asks you who's your team...don't say Rockets, thanks.

6. BrooksBall

My point is that even if the Rockets overachieve going forward, or simply play to their potential, I still don't think they can crack the top 8.

7. Asian Sensation

Those 2 losses against the Hornets and 76er's are going to haunt us. We will finish like a 1 or 2 games from the 8th spot. Gosh I hope I'm wrong.

8. mrdan

mrdan Contributing Member

The Lakers are going to run into some problems without Bynum. Their next three games are against Denver, SA, and Dallas. Even when Bynum does come back, there is no way he is going to reach the level of play he was at before the injury.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

This isn't a new concept, looking over the western conference, but I tend to agree. The blazers may not even crash that much. Coach Nate is the real deal.

Our only chance includes:
    * Lakers crash w'out Bynum
    * Jazz implode (they don't have a much better record than us at this point),
    & either
    * Warriors get an injury to one of their top people (Davis, Jackson, Harrington, Biedrins -- yes that guy).
    OR
    * Nuggest implode due to injury or personality. Losing Camby would make them mediocre.

So I think you need three of those bullet points to come true, plus the Rockets really turn it around.

And I'm not sitting around cheering for injuries. We need to just gel and play good ball and get better for next year. I'm kind of serious.

10. ThaShark316_28

Its too early man....wake me up at the break.

11. BrooksBall

That is a good point. Losing Bynum hurts the Lakers big time and he will unlikely get back in time to return to form.

However, the Lakers have built such a good record during the 1st half of the season that I don't think the Rockets will catch them. If Bynum went down a month ago, I may have felt differently.

12. mmesser

mmesser Contributing Member

Utah doesn't deserve to be on that list.

GS, Hornets, Lakers, Blazers are questionable.

I hope players on these teams get hurt, like Bynum did, cause if that doesn't happen, the Rockets are probably going stay on the outside looking in. :(

13. aaaccchhhooo

aaaccchhhooo Member

i hate to say it but i think it's time to tank the season and get a good draft pick....I don't see us beating portland or golden state for the final playoff spot...there's not way those 2 team going to lose more than 5 games in a row, and us winning 5 in a row at the same time...that is the only way we can catch up with them, we win 5 they lose 5..but never gonna happen

14. BrooksBall

What is questionable about the Hornets at this point? Answer: Nothing.

The Lakers have the 3rd best record in the conference halfway through the season and are one game away from the top spot. Losing Bynum hurts, but it won't keep them out of the playoffs.

I would not bet against this Warriors team making the playoffs.

Let's see how you feel about Utah in a few weeks.

15. ThaShark316_28

LMAO...hahaha @ tanking in january.

16. BrooksBall

May I suggest Math 101?

17. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

What happened to having faith? It's guarenteed that those teams play great throughout the rest of the season. One of those teams could hit a long losing streak and if we can keep winning games, we'll be right there. It's only January and we are only 3 games back from 8th spot. It's not that far of a stretch. Just believe in our team and good things will happen.

18. BrooksBall

Of course, we are still in the playoff hunt mathetmatically.

I am just predicting that the Rockets are not good enough to surpass any of the top 7 teams in the original post and all 3 of the other teams fighting for that last playoff spot.

19. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

Do you know how sports works? If a team is down 10 points they dont have to score the next 11 points to win the game. They can outscore a team over the remainder of the game and still win. Sames goes with the games behind deficit. Lets say a team loses 10 out of 15 and the Rox win 10 out of 15. That also makes up a five game deficit. It has nothing to do with winning or losing 5 in a row at the same time.

20. demon77

demon77 Member

"Whats that? ack! Playoffs?! Don't talk about playoffs! Are you kidding me? Playoffs?! I'm just hoping we can win a game." :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.