1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playoff Seed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by explode211981, Apr 10, 2008.

Tags:
  1. explode211981

explode211981 Contributing Member

Can someone explain to me why were in 5th place and San Antonio is in 2nd. We have the same record, 2-2 vs. them this season, and a better conference record. What gives? :confused: If someone can explain that would be great.

2. apocclass

apocclass Member

division record...

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

They have a better division record than us.Something that I didn't know about either.

4. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

Tiebreakers are:

1. Head-to-head (we're split)
    2. Division record (Spurs are 10-6 and we're 8-8, thus giving them the tiebreaker)
    3. Conference record

Then some other ones.

5. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

I rather be 5th and play the Jazz and stay in the same bracket as the Hornets/Nuggets. Instead of the other one with Spurs/Mavericks and Lakers/Suns.

6. bratna8

bratna8 Member

I concur

7. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Looking like the Spurs want to get into that bracket as well, thus the "tanking" of their last two showdown games.

8. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

wow. good point. really good point.

9. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Meh. That's T-mac like confidence and foolish bravado, by assuming we will get past the Jazz and face the Hornets/Nuggets in the 2nd round.

I would rather play the Mavs (ie obtain 2nd seed) than the Jazz.

10. liangqj

liangqj Member

Just like batkins said, #5 is better than #3. Though there is only 4 games left, big chages will come when the top 5 teams lost one game.

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

the spurs have the lakers and the jazz, the lakers have the hornets and the spurs, the rockets have the jazz, suns, and nuggets, and the suns have the rockets and the warriors... the hornets have the lakers and the mavs...

the Jazz have the nuggets, mavs, spurs and rockets! they would stay at 4th even if they lose all of them. if they won out they could move up...

nothing is set regarding 1-6

#11 across110thstreet, Apr 10, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  12. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

i would rather play the lakers. i think t-mac does too from missing tonight's game.

13. desertfire

desertfire Member

Can someone explain to me why three way tie breaker rules do not apply, since we are tied with the Lakers and Spurs? The first tie breaker in this scenario was best h-t-h record against other teams in tie breaker. I am not completely clear on all this.

14. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Division Winner status first.

15. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Lakers are winning there division, so regardless of us, they have to be 1-4. Spurs have a better division record than us, so there ahead.

16. Little_Scott

Little_Scott Member

From what I gathered after looking on NBA.com is in a three-way tie, division winner gets status first and foremost, but that doesn't mean that head-to-head tiebreakers will be used in determining the next seed.

The first variable used to break a tie then would be head-to-head against all three teams involved in the tie.

However, with the Lakers earning a top 4 seed, regardless, the Rockets would only be pitted against San Antonio in the fight for a top 4 seed. But I think you still use the head-to-head record against all three teams. Naturally, we are 2-2 against SA, 2-1 against LA. San Antonio is 2-2 against HOU, 2-1 against LA. The good thing is, SA plays LA once more before the end of the regular season. So that should clear up the mess.

It looks like if that did not break the tie, it is supposed to go to division record, where San Antonio has us (10-6 vs 8-8). But the NBA says that is if all three tied teams are in the same division. I don't know if they still include the Lakers even after it's been determined they will get a top 4, no matter what.

If not, it would most definitely go to conference record, where we currently hold the advantage over SA (31-17 vs 30-18). But that will change because we play have Western Conference teams only left on the docket.

Let's just finish ahead of the Spurs, yes? ;)

Code:
    http://www.nba.com/statistics/playoff_picture.html
    NBA.com Playoff Picture
    (1) (a) Since the three division winners receive the first three playoff positions, ties to determine the division winners must be broken before any other ties.
    (b) When a tie must be broken to determine a division winner, the results of the tie-break shall be used to determine only the division winner and its playoff position, not any other playoff position(s).

(2) If a tie involves more than two teams, the tie-break criteria in subparagraph b. shall be applied in the order set forth therein until the first to occur of the following:

b. More Than Two Teams Tied
    (1) Better winning percentage in all games among the tied teams.
    (2) Better winning percentage against teams in own division (only if all tied teams are in the same division).
    (3) Better winning percentage against teams in own conference.
    (4) Better winning percentage against teams eligible for playoffs in own conference (including teams that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position).
    (5) Better net result of total points scored less total points allowed against all opponents (“point differential”).