1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playoff rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by kevC, Sep 19, 2017.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

No question they will.

2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It's hard to understate how big it isn't that the astros can hide their two aces in this last series, in the probable scenario we play Boston in the ALDS. On the flip side, it would really be nice to win today and forcethe Red Sox to blow their Chris Sale card tomorrow if the Yanks win and they need to win just to avoid that 163rd game and possible collapse to the wild card game.

Either way, if Sale has to go tomorrow then he likely won't be available until game 2. And our guys will have gotten a recent look at him too.

4. SuraGotMadHops

I think we have our answer now that McCullers shouldn't be a playoff starter. So I'd go Verlander, Keuchel, Peacock, Morton as starters. Have McCullers and McHugh ready for long relief in the event either of the above make an early exit (prayerfully not). Then Giles, Musgrove, Devo, Liriano, and Harris rounding out the pen.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  5. K-Lo_The_Future

Why would we even trust LMJ in long relief at this point? Hes basically throwing 3-4 innings (long relief) while hes starting now and getting raked. Give mccugh the spot and carry 11 pitchers.

6. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Whoever is better on 3 days rest should go in Game 1. That way you only need a 3 man rotation. Keuchel did well on 3 days in 2015. Not sure about Verlander. The Game 1 starter could come back for Game 4 on three days rest while the Game 2 starter could pitch Game 5 on regular rest.

7. Jeremy Williams

I think this is exactly what Hinch will do in the ALDS.

If so, our bullpen should be:

Giles, Harris, Devenski, Musgrove, Peacock, Liriano
    McHugh, Morton, McCullers

(I'm sure Gregerson will take the place of McHugh or McCullers, but I'd prefer Gregerson stay off the roster.)

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

They're only going to carry 11 pitchers, so you can just take off McHugh or McCullers.

I think they'll go with a 4 man rotation and have Morton throw game 4.

9. Jeremy Williams

I guess it would come down to who is the best bet to function in 1-2 high leverage innings--McHugh or McCullers.

I'd be fine with Morton in game 4. If it were the WS, throw Verlander back in there.

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

It's a shame , but I think they should probably be looking to next year for Lance . He had a great start to the season . But peacock , Morton , and mchugh all deserve to be ahead of him in the postseason pecking order.

Lance out of the bullpen doesn't sound like a good idea to me . It's too short of a time to expect him to be comfortable coming out of the pen. Plus the last thing I want Lance to do is have excess gas coming in relief and injure himself .

Get healthy , work on that change and come back next year an even better starter.

mikol13, K-Lo_The_Future and jim1961 like this.
  11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Lance's stuff is too good to let sit on the bench. Would make a great guy to help Morton or Peacock bridge the gap to Musgrove/Giles.

12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

His stuff is great no doubt ... But he hasn't been able to consistently locate since coming back from injury.

No matter how good your stuff is , if you either leave pitches over the plate or walk batters ... The postseason will make you pay. The scouting and preparation is at a heightened level.

I'd rather someone come out of the pen that has experience doing so . Lance would be used only in "bridge the gap" scenarios . Frankly we have musgrove and devenski that can pitch multiple innings .

I think it's asking too much of Lance and the potential reward is too limited .

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Good stuff dont mean d!ck if his command and consistency is lacking, which should be obvious to be the case at this point.

K-Lo_The_Future and Mr.Scarface like this.
  14. K-Lo_The_Future

Im in total agreement with this. Lance just hasnt done anything to convince me that he is 100 percent right now...especially in a high leverage situation. Uncle charlie has playoff stuff and mccugh has been solid if not great.

15. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Yea. I think we carry 11 pitchers. That means one of McCullers, Gregerson or McHugh doesn't go to the 1st dance.

Frankly take a quarter and toss it. Heads LMJ tales Luke. I trust both as much as a wet fart right now.

Pen15clubber and K-Lo_The_Future like this.
  16. Jeremy Williams

If Hinch was really taking this week as an audition, McHugh definitely beat out McCullers and Gregerson.

It's probably safer for Hinch to take Gregerson given that McHugh and McCullers don't routinely pitch out of the pen, but Gregerson hasn't done much to prove he deserves a spot.

17. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Does Verlander have a track record with 3 days rest? I'm in favor of a 3-man with the better starter on short rest going in Game 1.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The 5th starter (McHugh or McCullers) and the 6th member of the pen (Gregerson) will only see action in there's a blow out or extra innings.

19. juicystream

He's never done it. The only time he pitched on short rest was because he only pitched 1 inning due to a rain delay so he didn't need 4 days of rest.

20. juicystream