1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playoff Rockets - the team looks different

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Apr 22, 2017.

1. rockets13champs

these games are literally coming down to poor defense in the first quarters

ak99999 likes this.
  2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Looks the same to me. Good offense, bad defense and okc can game plan better

ak99999 likes this.
  3. OKCRocket

OKCRocket Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Patrick Beverley approached a fan after the game last night. League sources say NBA is looking into the situation for possible discipline.</p>&mdash; Fred Katz (@FredKatz) <a href="">April 22, 2017</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Uh-oh

4. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

I agree with an injection of Trez. He brings fun and energy. When rockets are having fun they explode offensively they really feed off each other - especially when the young ones are going beast.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  5. MystikArkitect

For the fan hopefully. NBA needs to get this stuff cleaned up, I remember Mutombo saying if they didn't handle the fans (Orlando) then he would do it himself. Pretty sure when Beverley went to the ground he got kicked or hit in the back with something. They panned away quickly but he's not going to do that for nothing.

6. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

This is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. You really think Daryl Morey and veteran coach D'Antoni designed a strategy to maximize regular season wins only??

Richie_Rich and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Ariza has been pretty bad - pretty much when the ball swings to him he pump fakes a bunch, makes an awful attempt at blowing by a defender and in general allows the defense to recover. It's an offensive flow killer and wastes entire possessions. He just strikes me as a guy who has lost all confidence in himself. Mike D might need to run a play or two specifically to get Ariza a few rhythm shots/confidence boosters.

Back to the OP's point - this is playoff basketball - teams take away what you do well. After watching Houston's half court offense stagnate in the last few years in the playoffs, I think our offense has been terrific this year and most importantly - we have shown we can play a number of different ways - whether it's in transition, by spreading the floor and taking 3pt shots, or more half court oriented pick and roll sets with little wrinkles thrown in for variation. That's what you want as a playoff team. Sure we lost last night, but given out poor outside shooting and the unexpectedly great shooting of the Thunder(hitting shots we prefer them to take), the fact that we were an inch further on a James Harden shot away from the win is really a moral victory. Houston still is in a good position to take this series.

8. OTMax

OTMax Member

Ironic you try to insult me while you are the one who has trouble understanding a clear point: it's a strategy that works well in the regular season and there have been question marks about our strategy working in the play-offs since the beginning.

ak99999 likes this.
  9. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

number 1 ranked half court offense in nba. playoffs are a halfcourt game. don't over react. we lost a close game 3 on the road and harden had a chance to win.

stay calm

Lawlruschang likes this.
  10. OTMax

OTMax Member

I'm calm, just saying it's obvious there are and were question marks about our philosophy.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Put me in the "looks different" group. Real different. Love seeing Ego and Harden finish at the rim and Lou reestablish his confidence though.

12. pli777

pli777 Member

The team isn't that different, this is playoff and playoff defence intensity always turns up a notch. The only thing different would be what you've pointed out on Ariza, he's timid, has no confidence and passing up great looks and instead take some ill-advised shots and make boneheaded plays at the offensive end.

A shooter should not worry about it falling or not and just keep shooting, especially when our whole philosophy of an offence is built around that very shot. Just look at Lou.

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Our defense has been up and down all season which is what I'm seeing in the playoffs. Offensively, I think we are shooting less 3s due to how OKC is playing us. I think we are fine offensively though, even if it has a different look than what we're used to.

14. riko

riko Member

Yep that is why we are up 2-1 because it dose not work especially against the biggest and most physical team in the nba. Zip it moron

ricardo1979 and RiceRockets like this.
  15. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Give Les a call and tell him you have the answers over experienced coaches like MDA I'm sure they'll sack MDA and hire you straight away.

Lawlruschang and Richie_Rich like this.
  16. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

ok man, and i reiterate my point: do you seriously think daryl morey and d'antoni are so stupid to have collectively designed a system that can only be maximized in the regular season? any thoughts of the postseason just fell through the cracks and OTMax happened to be the one guy who caught it? or maybe les just suddenly decided not to give a **** about his billion dollar franchise?

give me a ******* break. sit down. be humble.

P.S. #1 half court offense

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

i think it's pretty clear that the anthony needs to reestablish his mustache. it's where he gets his coaching super powers.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Not intentionally. Remember our primary targets were Durant, Horford, Bazemore, and Bogut.

Teams that end up bottom half in defense usually aren't contenders, doesnt mean we were trying to be bottom half in defense. Sometimes there are other constraints.

And we don't know this isn't a playoff team. We're up 2-1 so far. Only team 3-0 is Cleveland.

19. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I feel like there's a lot of game 3 overreactions in this thread... We were one bad bounce away from being up 3-0 in this series.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  20. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

It's the playoff scheme of OKC. OKC lets harden go off and stays home on shooters. They don't want the rockets scoring off the drive and kick.

I'm not concerned - If Houston didn't start so badly, it would have been an easy win. They need a good start and they need to play w a 7-10 point lead imo. It might shrink after that but it'll be easier to maintain. We want to put more pressure on okc to score.