1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playoff Matchup: Spurs (1) vs. Memphis (8)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by k-money, Apr 14, 2011.

Tags:
?

You know what to do.

1. Spurs in 4

8 vote(s)
    4.4%
  2. Spurs in 5

23 vote(s)
    12.6%
  3. Spurs in 6

34 vote(s)
    18.6%
  4. Spurs in 7

30 vote(s)
    16.4%
  5. Memphis in 4

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  6. Memphis in 5

10 vote(s)
    5.5%
  7. Memphis in6

53 vote(s)
    29.0%
  8. Memphis in 7

23 vote(s)
    12.6%
  1. k-money

k-money Member

spurs in 6. memphis might take a game or two at home since ginobli is injured.

2. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

Memphis might give Spurs a little run..

Spurs in 6.

Youngsters vs Old Vets.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

should have posted this in this thread earlier, grizzlies tanked to get this match up

4. Ditty

Ditty Member

This matchup is not as close as many predict...if rudy gay was around I would be scared but pop will game plan to make the grizzles shoot..and the spurs to rebound at full strength and beat the grizz in the half court which they can easily do...parker didn't play I think 2 of the games, duncan one game, and ginobili one game...they did send the spurs to overtime one of the games but spurs were up big and had a huge mental breakdown...if manu comes back I think it will be 5 games the most, if not it will maybe be 6...

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Going to 6 games is as close as you can get in terms of matchup (other than going the full 7). The Grizz might not have Gay but that doesn't mean Randolph can't/won't go ballistic on the Spurs. I can honestly see him doing what Amare did to San Antonio in the playoffs those years when he was in Phoenix. As long as Gasol can man the paint and Tony Allen keeps Manu from going bonkers, Grizzlies has a good chance to upset IMO.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I haven't decided yet. Depends on Ginobilli's health and how guys like Gary Neal, George Hill and Matt Bonner light it up. I want to pick the Grizzlies because of the roll they were on, but late season surges can come to nothing in the 1st round of the playoffs. Chemistry-wise, it's also possible the tanking may work against them.

I'm going to wait until Saturday to post my prediction on this one.

7. Shaud

Shaud Member

They sure did but people say they did it to avoid the Lakers but if they won out they would have faced Dallas in the 3-6 matchup and they have had success against Dallas this year.

I want to pick Memphis in this series but I'm going to say San Antonio in 6 but I hope I'm wrong.

8. entirelydave

entirelydave Member

I truly think Memphis in 6. :cool:

9. what

what Member

If you had seen that last game they played, where literally Tony, Manu where injured playing all out to try to beat us, then you might realize that the spurs, while having heroic pride, their time might have passed. I respect the spurs a lot, but they can't battle a motivated, young grizzlies team in a tough series as this is going to be. It is going to be a war, very physical type of series that is going to take a lot out of the spurs and they know it. I'll I'm saying is don't beat the farm on the spurs surviving this series. But I do respect the spurs a lot.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Remember what happened last year. The Spurs used all their energy to take the Mavs down in the 1st round and had nothing left. Your team will get their best shot. If the Spurs advance, I believe their 2nd round opponent could feast on them. Charles Barkley is right this time. I agree they are past tense.

If the Grizzlies bring their "A" game, they have a very good chance of winning this series decisively. It's just the playoffs are weird sometimes and regular season stuff doesn't always carry over. Fortunately, the Grizzlies have some veteran players who've been there before.

11. lalala902102001

The Grizz tanked to get the Spurs. Karma is a b**** however.

SPurs in 7.

12. what

what Member

Yeah, the spurs are going to have it tough, against possibly the most physical team in the west. I've seen the spurs execute like a well-oiled machine in the fourth quarter of games and veteran teams are always a threat to put it together and muster one last run, but the grizzlies have 2 guys that are highly motivated to succeed, Zach and Tony.

The key to this series though is Mike Conley. If he keeps it together and plays parker at least even and doesn't make mistakes down the stretch, the grizzlies will come away with a victory. FT % will also play a role, because the grizzlies have been known to dog a lot of free throws down the stretch of games.

13. clippy

clippy Member

Grizz have never won a playoff game and I'm not sure that's going to change.

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Spurs in 5

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

100% agree on Conley. He has to put it together and play well unless the Spurs are just ready to roll over.

But I don't have much faith he will be consistent over the series. I also think Pop is 10x the coach Lionel Hollins is.

Z-Bo and Tony Allen will be the steady veterans for your team. They need to set a "take no prisoners" tone from tipoff to final buzzer.

clippy, I think it's safe to say the Grizzlies won't get swept this time.

16. clippy

clippy Member

I think they'll win one but I wouldn't be shocked if it was as sweep. The Spurs have been basically coasting for a month. They were a juggernaut when they were trying. People seriously underestimate them.

Of course, if Manu is injured, all bets are off.

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

They just said on The Ticket 760 that Manu has a right elbow sprain and he is "doubtful" for Game 1.

18. k-money

k-money Member

does anybody want to do the lakers hornets and mavs blazers threads?

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You just drafted yourself. The rest of us are just too lazy.;) We want you to do the work.

20. LandryMegaBeast

only cuz manu is hurt... the spurs will take an extra game to beat the griz

Spurs in 5