1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playing sports while stoned

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Fostate, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Fostate

Fostate Member

good or bad idea? Which sport will it increase your level of play? decrease?

2. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Didn't seem to hurt Dock Ellis.

3. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

for running it's awesome.

for team sports and sports that require hand-eye coordination and mental clarity, not so much.

4. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

If you're getting legitimately stoned, it probably won't help you in any sport. I tend to golf better when I've got a little bit of a high. But it's no good for baseball or tennis or any of the sports that require quick reactions, in my experience.

5. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

I play semi-professional soccer and practiced once while I was stoned and will never do it again...

Just awful coordination.

6. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It definitely would depend on the drug. Baseball players were big on amphetamines for a while.

Weed would be a bad idea for hand to eye sports.

7. ketchupNmustard

I skateboard and do jiujitsu, and have done both while high. It has both benefits in which creativity and appreciation is enhanced. Negative side effects included lower stamina, maybe thoughts that are a little too abstract, so confidence may be altered(you could be under or over confident). That's pretty much it.

On the other hand, try sports while you're drunk and you'll be quite confident. Some skaters drown skate sessions with beers, and do amazing things. I've gotten drunk and wrecked my ankle doing stupid ****.

8. Fostate

Fostate Member

yeah lets just say some weed, how would that effect your play in... lets say basketball?

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Cocaine would probably increase your performance in just about every sport. You're more focused and have an adrenaline rush. Weed would not improve performance in anything with the exception of a hot dog eating contest.

10. Fostate

Fostate Member

makes sense

11. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Been there done that back in the day... Got my shot blocked about 6 times that day.

12. TdashDUB

TdashDUB Contributing Member

I think it depends solely on the person (as far as weed). So why not experiment??

My friend who can't ball for ***** usually suddenly looks like a future draft pick when he plays stoned. Seriously blows my mind how much more coordinated, quick to react and accurate his shot is when he's high. Me on the other end? The only I'm good for in "Sports" when high is working out lol

That same guy would do class presentations and BOMB worse than a new comic before madison square garden. But anytime he smoked before presentations, he was suddenly an inspirational speaker haha really odd and fortunate for him (depending on what side you're looking at it from)

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Use to play basketball in Drunk in College

I was Dr. Magic Bird then . . ..

Rocket River
    Sweated it out by third game though. . .

14. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

Stay classy Rockets fans.

15. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

I played a good game of pool once - I imagine bowling would be similar. So take sports that don't require tremendous timing or coordination and have a mental aspect that could be helped by not over-thinking things.

16. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Playing on ecstasy will make you feel like Jordan despite playing like Hasheem Thabeet.

17. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

I was more accurate stoned when playing basketball back in the days.

18. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Many of the most Elite BJJ artists in the world roll while high

Eddie Bravo doesn't roll unless he is high

19. 713

713 Member

Im reporting all of you to the cops...

20. aghast

aghast Member

I've always been a textbook, "He's better on the practice court than he is in the real game," type of player. Affected me in sports, fortunately not so much in everyday life.

Combination of nerves/adrenaline/overthinking/self-imposed pressure always got to me, so much so that in school tournaments I'd end up not sleeping the night before, in order to induce a fugue-like state, just to be able to react, to play without thinking. That's the only times I'd ever win.

Fast forward a few years, and I went to the college rec center after spending the day poolside, drinking. Wound up at the basketball court. Finally, all the childhood hours upon hours I poured into backyard baskets paid off. Coordination was sufficiently off that I could no longer dribble for s---, but my shot was unstoppable. Unstoppable. All that stuff about the "zone," finally hit me, if only in meaningless rec center pick-up games. Will never happen again.

So, for me at least, playing stoned = reduced inhibitions / better actual play. Anything to get me out of my normal mind.