1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playing NOT to Lose

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Feb 11, 2019.

1. alethios

alethios Member

Maybe not an MDA timeout, but CP3 players-only timeouts seemed to work some magic in the past.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Clint will fix everything....yule c.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I get this...but at the same time, what would it hurt? What purpose do time outs serve then?

Obviously they don't fix the roster flaws, but they still can be useful. If the team is giving up a huge run, which admittedly happens often, does it not make sense to slow the momentum? Maybe if Harden doesn't have a sense of urgency, call a time out and re-focus. I don't think it's nonsense to say D'Antoni allows the team to go on lackadaisical stretches that last far too long.

But you're right. In the end...team needs to get healthy. That will always be the biggest flaw until further notice.

alethios likes this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Daryl Morey's mantra is: "You can't teach 6'7"." That's the optimal height for a front court player. Any player other than that height is an outlier that will mess up the predictability of analytics.

J Sizzle likes this.
  5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

No it wasn’t. If you take a 20 point lead in the first half you’re often not going to sustain it throughout the game. These are NBA teams. OKC are good this year, why would they not be able to duplicate our first half in the second. Home court whatever, I’d rather have Clint on the road than our home court. Rivalry? Please. I’m not saying that game meant nothing, but the fact we lost it doesn’t prove s**t.

I’m so glad Harden is so cool, calm and collected. You’ve gotta know how to brush things off in this league and he is great at doing that.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

It's like the team already knows they're going to choke the lead so they nervously start running the shot clock down. It's pathetic offense that's too dependent on lucky shots.

7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

We dont play to win - or lose... as MDA puts it "we're just going to play our game..." - and thats what we do - regardless of circumstance, defense or whatever else....

I agree far more with DCKid than the OP...

the simple truth is we play stupid...

We have our agenda - or rather MDA and Morey's agenda - and we just run it regardless of circumstance... whether we're up by 20 or down by 20 - we play the same...

Tie game and we got the ball for the last possession - we launch a 3.... we only need a 2 or even a single free throw... but we're gonna chuck up a 3 from 3 or 4 feet behind the arc... where's the sense in that? We did it against the Lakers (and thanfully won in OT) and then we did it again a month later... we dont learn from our mistakes...

We have virtually no concept of how to use the shot clock - unless we're going for a 2 for 1 to end the half... typically, we plod down court... James does his little dance... and we chuck up a shot with 5-10 seconds left on the shot clock - whether we're up by 20 or down by 20....

we simply do not play the situation...

of course, it's MDA... the guy who says things like "I want to see 50 3 pt attempts tonight" - before even seeing what the defense is going to do...

It's great to have a strategy... better to have a game plan... but adjustments are the key - and we're typically oblivious...

thats my rant... lol

hakeem94 and Easy like this.