1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Players Who You Think SHOULD Be Better

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dharocks, Jun 5, 2011.

1. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

apropos of nothing, are you also dharocks on youtube? i assume not, but just wanted to know.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Chandler, if it wasnt for his height and his beard. I believe a lot of big men could improve their post game and strength. Pump fake hook shot is the most unguardable thing there is. Only handful has it, gasol,scola,Z-Bo, and maybe Howard. You also need core strength to back down your man. This applies to anybody. MJ and Shaq were one of the best at backing you down. Pierce and tmac did it. lebron,wade,perkins.... all could get better at it.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Good post. I agree with everything you said (except that AI could have been better. It's amazing what he accomplished at his size). However, I'd add

4) Sheer stupidity - No matter how gifted a player is athletically, and no matter how hard he works, there is a mental aspect to basketball. You need to understand the system. Know the plays. Know your opposing players tendencies. Etc. If you have no capacity for this, ala Stromile "Slomile" Swift, you cannot succeed in the NBA.

Think of all the great players you've seen being interviewed. How many of them strike you as stupid?

Great list. Here is who I'd add:

Roy Tarpley - career destroyed by drug use

Bison Dele (entered the league as Brian Williams) - He had the ability to be one of the best centers in the league in a time when that meant something, but he didn't actually like playing basketball. Sadly, it is presumed he was murdered by his own brother. (RIP)

Eddie Griffin - We're all entirely too familiar with his story. (RIP)

Vin Baker - Had evolved into an All-Star and could've taken his game even farther had he not been an alcoholic.

Vernon Maxwell - Say what you will about Mad Max, but he had the talent to be one of the all-time greats. And there were nights when he played like one.

#23 Williamson, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  4. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Yao and sura - injuries.
    Artest and griffin - if only they have a brain that is working.

5. luisantonio1014

Iguodala!!! dude could be the next TMac! he's got handles and is very athletic. His jumpshot is not as reliable, but if he worked on it, he'd be unstoppable on offense! We already know he's a good defender too.

6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

After reading it again, I can see why you were confused. I simply wanted to list some guys who I thought people might bring up by saying "You should add X Player to your list", and give my reasons for why I omitted them. With the way some people were describing Westbrook as possibly having Marbury-sydrome (with some examples here, here, here and here), I figured I'd throw in my two cents, and I'm pretty sure that I made it clear that I didn't feel like he belonged on the list, albeit for entirely different reasons than the other guys I mentioned at the end of the post. I thought it was fairly obvious though that I wasn't concerned about his development when I said "he'll be fine", but I guess not.

Lol, nah, I'm not the les mis guy. dharocks was my AIM handle, so I've been asked that before, believe it or not.

7. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

8. Precision340

Precision340 Member

Michael Beasley for sure... dude still has the potential to be a beast in this league

9. eman

eman Contributing Member

Chase Budinger.

10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Yao Ming - Never physical enough to unleash his true potential. Too many layups and too much falling down before Adleman came here. Say what you want about JVG and Thibodeaux but they did not use Yao to his maximum potential, and I think that stunted some of his growth...and Rudy T, too.

Same goes for LaMarcus Aldridge who seems to have taken a step forward only now since Roy's career seems doomed.

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

Bingo! I have a hunch that he is a little too cozy with the wacky weed. His delayed reactions are almost comical and likely predictable. He needs to party less, "smoke" less (preferably not at all) and work harder. A crew cut might help.