1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Player's Tribune]When James Calls, You Pick Up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zeeshan2, Apr 27, 2017.

1. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Hoping they do a Kyle Wiltjer one for his bench celebrations

TracywtFacy and BigMaloe like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Hope he stays healthy.

TracywtFacy, BigMaloe and ramotadab like this.
  3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

And then the phone rings. It's James Harden:

"Are you signing with us, or what?"

I was too surprised to give an answer: "I, uh, well, you know---"

"Just remember: you're our second favorite! We're going after Bazemore first. And if he's just using us for leverage, you're our man!"

MrButtocks, FanSince93 and BigMaloe like this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Stuff like the first two plays is why he's here:

D-rock, kevtse, Richie_Rich and 14 others like this.
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I love this team so much

joeson332, D-rock, Ramo$e and 4 others like this.
  6. Fantasma Negro

Laughed my ass off on the third one. Oh you're going to defend the three point line, have some NE-Nasty!!

vtjsr2, Ramo$e and BigMaloe like this.
  7. onreego

onreego Member

Specifically the video, how much of it had to do with WB being a bad defender and chasing rebounds?

Richie_Rich and BigMaloe like this.
  8. Fantasma Negro

This damn near brought a tear to my eyes. **** I love this team

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

thanks to us beating the Thunder in 5, EGo has plenty of time to write articles.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This Spain PnR is getting a lot of coverage in videos out there. Of course, they love to show when it works.

OKC also zoned it by Gordon and Harden's man switching for an easy turnover. It's hard for the PG to tell if his man stayed home at the nail. This play is very easy to switch on, because the SGs man is in rim protection area to defend a drive while Hardens man just leaves Harden and waits at the nail for EGo to come to him. The back screen really needs to work on Capela / Nenes man, when a natural switch of the defending PG and SG occurs.

Point I'm trying to make is this play is meant to combat helping off the corner three, by just dragging that helper into the play with EGo doing that back screen. However, now you have a help man in the lane and you can just switch. Has to be an effective back screen then...because if our big doesn't get free on the guards switching then the play is zoned.

We have higher success rate with the 3-man high PnR vs this 3-man Spain version, imo. The 3-man high has a shooter pick for Harden out high and our Big picks for the shooter who flairs/pop, then the big dives to the rim with Harden in normal PnR attack fashion, but with a pop man who got a pick from the big.

11. Mr Chuck Norris

Appreciate harden guys.... HE DOESN'T HAVE TO DO THIS! On another note, I love this team. We're all on one accord top to bottom. It's great.

joeson332 and Richie_Rich like this.
  12. heypartner

That's not really what happened. They overplayed Harden.

Watch again. Gibson has Harden. In later plays, Roberson just stops and zones the kick out while EGo's man impedes Nene. That might have been mistake coverage by Roberson failing to switch, because we definitely saw Roberson pick off a Harden kick out in Game 5 for a fast break by not chasing Harden and switching to get EGo as he pops out.

Don't get me wrong, that's a good play, but when you don't see us run it, or not run it effectively, it's because the defense is zoning it with 2-1 switches.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Read both Eric's and Trevor's articles. What a great site.

These two just gave me greater insight into who they are. My Luv of All Things Rockets this year just went up another notch.

One question, where/when is the NENE article please ? Ole Man River.....

TracywtFacy and Ramo$e like this.
  14. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Or "Russ calls like he passes the ball: only when he needs something from you and never in the 4th"

15. Nook

Nook Member

Why the narratives pushed by Zach Lowe and a lot of fans are inaccurate. It isn't a simple pick and roll the Rockets run and it isn't as easy as a defense hugging the three point line. The Rockets system opens up multiple options for the penetrator. As long as the other 4 players on offense are paying attention, the Rockets will likely get a good shot at the basket.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

It can also cause a lot of congestion in the high lane.

I have seen Harden run this play and the shooter at the three point line hesitate and find an open shooter in the corner for an open look. I can't tell if it was on purpose or just a broken play with the good fortune to find a corner open or if it was designed that way.

17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

We're fortunate to have Gordon. He's highly skilled as both a shooter and shot creator and I underrated his defense. He's perfect as a sixth man and he seems to have embraced that role. Having both him and Lou coming off the bench is just a lethal combo against other teams' second units. They buried OKC.

Richie_Rich and Hakeemtheking like this.
  18. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Damn I just Hardened from reading this. Thank you Commissioner Gordon for the feelz.

joeson332 and Pen15clubber like this.
  19. heypartner

There is a difference, though.

The Spain 3-man PnR has two natural defenders in the lane. The 3-man High PnR has all three offensive players above the arc (with at least 2 defenders above the arc), and easily turns into the standard high PnR after the flair/pop. Also, the High version keeps two corner shooters in their place and ready. The Spain one removes a corner shooter, although the wing shooter can slide down. It also seems we run the High version to pull out both bigs (using a 4, ryno/ariza, as picker). The Spain one tends to be Gordon, but Ariza has run it. This plays out such that Harden can sometimes get a big switching on him to ISO out of the High version.

Also, by comparison 41 High 2-man PnR leaves Nene/Capela camped at the rim...so there is still very much three men to guard with an alley-oop to worry about. We've had great success with that, as the Center is afraid to leave Nene/Capela to help at the rim. However, this is the one OKC defended the best. Ryno did his hesitation thing as Gibson recovered after showing on Harden. So frustrating. We need that play to work.

20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Coming soon

Bobby Brown - When James Calls, It's free money & houston strippers

Yaosthirdleg, hakeem94 and tbw914 like this.